News Forum - British pensioner dies in motorbike accident

Thaiger

13 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

JamesR, you are always the first one to jump onto someone when they generalise about a certain group of people but here you are stating that all bike riders are the same. They are not all the same, some are more tolerant to risk than others, some have zero experience, some have a lot of experience, some focus, some do not. 

I ride in Thailand and have no illusions about the potential dangers. 

At risk of another response regarding generalising Thai or Asian drivers by comparing traffic in many Asian countries to Australia for example.

I am making these statements on my experience in the following countries

• Thailand
  • Malaysia
  • India
  • Cambodia
  • Vietnam

From my observations and interactions within the traffic in these countries, the way people drive in parts of Asia is very different to Australia (for example).

(note that I said people as I think many adjust to their driving style to suit the country they live in, including expats).

You need to be aware:

• Many people do pull out into oncoming traffic and expect the oncoming traffic to slow down
  • Many people do change lanes for no apparent reason without indicating beforehand
  • Many people do make decisions to turn at the last second and may or may not indicate
  • Many people do stop in the middle of the lane for no apparent reason without indicating their intentions of what they plan to do next 
  • Many people do regularly speed well above the stipulated speed limit
  • Many people do overtake you on the inside or outside even if you are travelling at the speed limit

Much of this behaviour seems to be tolerated by the constabulary in all of the countries mentioned which doesn't give anyone the motivation to modify their behaviour. 

I believe that the main reason that you see many foreigners who have been injured from motorcycle accidents is that many of them do not have the required experience to be riding in a foreign country and sufficient checks are not conducted when hiring bikes.

This is my opinion from my lived experience, some may disagree and that is their right. 

If i did not have quite a bit of experience riding from age 19 and up I would definitely not be comfortable riding a scooter or motorcycle in Thailand.

Totally different road rules here than USA.

Much much more freedom for all drivers which i find good and bad. Good because i find Thai driving a more responsive and organic experience whereas USA is regimented and limiting. Thai driving keeps my spidey senses on full alert but not totally whacked out stressful. USA driving can be more relaxed but therein lies the danger for two wheel vehicle operators. One minute your enjoying a beverage and some tunes on a loaded Harley. Next you are staring at your booted foot in the median and you are laying on the road shoulder.

• Like 1