News Forum - British pensioner dies in motorbike accident

Thaiger

A Chinese motorist has been threatened with the full force of the law if she is to blame for the death of a British pensioner in a road accident. Keith William McVeighty died in a motorbike crash involving a car on a motorway in Chiang Mai on Sunday morning. Footage from CCTV reveals a female driver accelerated straight across the road from the inside lane into the outside lane and straight into the path of the 83 year old man. McVeighty was startled by the car and tried to break but was unable to avoid crashing into the back of the […]

The story British pensioner dies in motorbike accident as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Very sad to see an experienced rider pay the ultimate price because someone in a car has no respect for other road users safety.

I have been riding motorcycles for over 35 years and have seen many drivers fail to pay due attention to what's happening around them.

My condolences to this man's family and I hope that if the driver did what the news article stated, she receives the appropriate punishment. 

• Like 5

Yes, from the article she was to blame, but that could cause an incident like the huawei thing. it all depends how hushed up this thing is  ... maybe  some hefty compensation to the mans family from china is the way to go on this one. You can't get western justice when its not the west. id like to think if someone took me out, my family would get a payout

It just shows you how mad it is to ride a motorbike in Thailand, you may be experienced but it only takes one accident like this and then it is all over.

A waste of a life. 

• Like 2

I’ve driven in four countries: Germany, Japan, Australia and Thailand. In Germany and Japan, you’re on auto pilot. In Australia, you have to concentrate. In Thailand, you have to actively consider the actions of all of the drivers and riders around you. 

Too many uncertainties. Tragic accident. I wonder how experienced the driver was and where she got her license? R.I.P. Keith McVeighty.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I wonder how experienced the driver was and where she got her license?

What's a license? 

TIT

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

So years ago when driving as a passenger on the back of a motorbike a car pulled out from a parking lot, I said to my wife in astonishment ,omg look at that . I said why do Thais not care about on coming motorbikes when they enter traffic !

She said because they are in a bigger suv or car and up to the motorbike to take care!

Rip biker

• Like 3

Sure hope is not those bad driving habits she brought over from China that cause the death of the British national. RIP.

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

I’ve driven in four countries: Germany, Japan, Australia and Thailand. In Germany and Japan, you’re on auto pilot. In Australia, you have to concentrate. In Thailand, you have to actively consider the actions of all of the drivers and riders around you. 

Too many uncertainties. Tragic accident. I wonder how experienced the driver was and where she got her license? R.I.P. Keith McVeighty.

Both the accidents that I have had that were serious enough to result in broken bones, both in the UK, were caused by other drivers, one a motorist trying to beat a red light, the other a London taxi driver U-turned in front of me, he was actually signalling left at the time. I have ridden a bike in Thailand and it does feel like everyone is out to get you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I have worked and lived in Germany, there you have to concentrate as doing 200 km/h on the autobahns takes a while to get used to. 

In America you can almost fall asleep while driving as many states have low speed limits on the highways.

India has been the worst place to drive so far.

When I am in Thailand I slow right down, I do about 90km/h on the highways and about 50kms or less in towns, I scan both sides of the car, the mirror, traffic coming the wrong way down the road, people opening car doors, motorbikes pulling out, pedestrians.

If  I do the above and drive defensively then at the lower speeds I drive at it is quite easy to drive there. 

But I would never ride a bike, that is just asking for it, I want my car to be the crumple zones not my body, a damaged car I can have fixed. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BigHewer said:

As I've stated before, I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years, I was also a truck driver for many years.

I found that you need to have a similar thought process regarding other drivers on the road and it is as follows; 

You always need to look out for the idiot driver, the difference is that when you are in a truck you will kill the idiot but when you are on a motorcycle the idiot will kill you. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

When I am in Thailand I slow right down, I do about 90km/h on the highways and about 50kms or less in towns, I scan both sides of the car, the mirror, traffic coming the wrong way down the road, people opening car doors, motorbikes pulling out, pedestrians.

Exactly. There’s no way of knowing what’s lurking in the shadows traffic-wise. It’s like driving in a safari park. That moment when you’re sitting in traffic and make a silent assessment of the drivers around you. “Idiot, idiot, maniac, not sure”. And so it goes.

2 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

You always need to look out for the idiot driver, the difference is that when you are in a truck you will kill the idiot but when you are on a motorcycle the idiot will kill you. 

Love it. I’m going to borrow this one Mazz, if you don’t mind 👍🏻

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Love it. I’m going to borrow this one Mazz, if you don’t mind 👍🏻

No problem mate, I find it the best way to explain this to people

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JamesR said:

I have worked and lived in Germany, there you have to concentrate as doing 200 km/h on the autobahns takes a while to get used to. 

In America you can almost fall asleep while driving as many states have low speed limits on the highways.

India has been the worst place to drive so far.

If  I do the above and drive defensively then at the lower speeds I drive at it is quite easy to drive there. 

But I would never ride a bike, that is just asking for it, I want my car to be the crumple zones not my body, a damaged car I can have fixed. 

You say "drive defensively", which is not only commendable, but very necessary in this country, as well as quite a few others. I prefer to think of all other road users here as village idiotscwho are determined to kill me and everyone else on the roads. The arrogance, ignorance and lack of thought and drive-planning is amazing and would almost be laughable if it wasn't so frightening. 

In this case, I will assume blood money will be paid (to the appropriate law officer) and it will be swept under the carpet. We can't upset China now, can we?

14 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I wonder how experienced the driver was and where she got her license?

My ex failed her driving test in Chiang Rai, paid 600 Baht and was given a licence anyway. That was back in 1998, but even if they no longer accept bribes (?) there are still a lot of unqualified drivers out there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viggen8408 said:

You say "drive defensively", which is not only commendable, but very necessary in this country, as well as quite a few others. I prefer to think of all other road users here as village idiotscwho are determined to kill me and everyone else on the roads. The arrogance, ignorance and lack of thought and drive-planning is amazing and would almost be laughable if it wasn't so frightening. 

In this case, I will assume blood money will be paid (to the appropriate law officer) and it will be swept under the carpet. We can't upset China now, can we?

Thats quite an assumption?

• Haha 2

Condolences to the family. 

TT driver or not, 83 you're not 23 anymore. 

Could not see myself on a bike at 83. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Transam said:

Viewer discretion is advised..........

Here is the accident, there are a couple of question marks for me.....🤔

https://www.newsflare.com/video/498646/british-pensioner-83-killed-in-horror-motorbike-crash-in-thailand

The white car didn’t stop at the intersection, turned left into the far right lane of the 2 lane dual carriageway road in front of the bike which couldn’t stop in time. I presume that the lack of brake/tyre squeals from the bike was because he had ABS. The only way she could be more in the wrong is if she had actually stopped at the Stop sign, waited for the bike and then rammed him. That was not an accident, it was recklessness causing death. Book her, Danno.

RIP Mr McVeighty

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fanta said:

The white car didn’t stop at the intersection, turned left into the far right lane of the 2 lane dual carriageway road and the bike ran up the back of the car. The only way she could be more in the wrong is if she had actually stopped at the Stop sign, waited for the bike and then rammed him. That was not an accident, it was recklessness causing death. Book her, Danno.

RIP Mr McVeighty

I know the location well and I daresay the Chinese driver intended making a U-turn just beyond the accident scene.  I have seen many drivers doing exactly the same thing which is downright criminal given the almost 3 lanes of road width with ample room and distance to merge.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Always expect the unexpected on Thai Roads and slow down enough in the event of a vehicle be it Car or a Bike give yourself time and distance to react.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Sure hope is not those bad driving habits she brought over from China that cause the death of the British national. RIP.

She is Chinese; what do they care about other nationalities?

2 minutes ago, Viggen8408 said:

She is Chinese; what do they care about other nationalities?

Yes, after all, they only represent 1 person for every 5 on the planet.