News Forum - Two Indian tourists die in motorbike accident on Koh Samui mountain

Thaiger

Two Indian tourists died in a motorbike accident yesterday evening on the island of Koh Samui, southern Thailand. The pair were driving down the Khao Pom mountain on a rented motorbike when they crashed into a barrier on a curved road. The men’s bodies were found on the mountainside. At 6:30pm yesterday, Koh Samui Police Station received a report that two Indian tourists had died after crashing their motorbike into a railing in the Taling Ngam district of Khao Pom mountain. The bodies of 35 year old Vinay Dutt Kaushik and 34 year old Dhruv Tripathi were found, with broken […]

The story Two Indian tourists die in motorbike accident on Koh Samui mountain as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

53 minutes ago, Grant said:

Passing cars while on coming traffic is approaching is another dangerous regular occurrence we see everyday!

Passing on bends in the road!

And what we do see a lot of is head on collisions due to this practice an innocent people killed because stupid drivers pass at inappropriate times!

If the 2 guys are dead, how does the owner of the rented bike get it fixed?

• Haha 1

Did these two Indians get their Islands mixed up mistaking Koh Samui for the Isle Of Man, the Mountain is on the World famous Isle Of Man TT  course, not Samui?

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Philly said:

If the 2 guys are dead, how does the owner of the rented bike get it fixed?

He sells their passports and gold chains. 

• Haha 4

"apparently the site of many accidents and deaths, according to police." like most of the roads on Samui ythey are badly designed and executed. Once the motorcyclists have lost control then serious injury or death is almost inevitable.

Are there signs warning this is an incident blackspot?

Were thy forced off the road?

Will tire be a forensic unit that examines the scene of the incident or do we just get a haphazard account from the police who really aren't trained in RTIs at all?

• Like 1

Just now, Khunwilko said:

"apparently the site of many accidents and deaths, according to police." like most of the roads on Samui ythey are badly designed and executed. Once the motorcyclists have lost control then serious injury or death is almost inevitable.

Are there signs warning this is an incident blackspot?

Were thy forced off the road?

Will tire be a forensic unit that examines the scene of the incident or do we just get a haphazard account from the police who really aren't trained in RTIs at all?

If there was cctv, it probably wasn’t working 

• Like 1

Wow, the amount of respect for 2 people who died in a crash. Didn't really expect that from some of you guys... It's not just western people's lives who count. How can this suddenly been seen as something to joke about? 🙄

• Like 2

Koh Samui has one big road, which looks like the most dangerous one, because cars fly over the road with over 100km an hour even though it goes up and down right past a cliff. 

But some of those smaller roads are very very tricky too. Especially the super steep ones where you barely can get up even if you go full speed. Mostly at those places there's not much option to make it more safe. Place a sign and nature will grow over it because it's in the middle of nowhere. Maybe warning signs at the entrance at the big road, that this or that road may be very tricky and only available for more experienced people?

Both a broken neck, they clearly went too fast. When people get warned that it's only for experienced people, maybe they would be more careful and a bit slower? 

• Like 1

May or may not apply to the guys (RIP) in this thread but as a general rule nobody without experience of riding motorbike and/or scooter in home country should attempt to ride one overseas. To many foreign factors to take into account other than just first time on a bike.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HiuMak said:

They really shouldn't ride in the evening. Visibility is impaired

They were found at 6.30pm. It must have happened before that, so it was still light.

On 6/13/2022 at 5:30 AM, Thaiger said:

Two Indian tourists died in a motorbike accident yesterday evening on the island of Koh Samui, southern Thailand. The pair were driving down the Khao Pom mountain on a rented motorbike when they crashed into a barrier on a curved road. The men’s bodies were found on the mountainside. At 6:30pm yesterday, Koh Samui Police Station received a report that two Indian tourists had died after crashing their motorbike into a railing in the Taling Ngam district of Khao Pom mountain. The bodies of 35 year old Vinay Dutt Kaushik and 34 year old Dhruv Tripathi were found, with broken […]

The story Two Indian tourists die in motorbike accident on Koh Samui mountain as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 hours ago, Transam said:

I thought most of India ride/rode on scoots....🤔

Not the ones who can afford to go to Thailand on holiday, they were probably riding them for the first times as I have seen so many tourists in Phuket doing the same, they even copy the silly habit of having their kids on the same bike, the laws of physics seem to change for so many tourists while on holiday there.

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2022 at 9:49 AM, Philly said:

If there was cctv, it probably wasn’t working 

How does cctv prevent accidents? I'd say it usually only records them and then only partially.

26 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

How does cctv prevent accidents? I'd say it usually only records them and then only partially.

What happens is a hologram is made from the cctv video and so you can carry on living. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 5:43 PM, vlad said:

Were they wearing helmets?

Helmets protect against crushing one's skull, not against breaking one's neck.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Transam said:

I would have thought that Indians travelling abroad on mass is a fairly resent thing, so I reckon at some time they were on bikes, India is awash with bikes.... 

I know many Indians in India who do not ride bikes, they have cars. 

The poor ones (link in Thailand) ride bikes as their main mode of transport and the richer ones have cars. 

One of them (Dhruv Tripathi) was my close friend. Can anyone help me by sharing CCTV footage (or any pics of both after accident) near place of accident. Kindly help me. 

22 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

It usually shows what happens, who was at fault. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Philly said:

It usually shows what happens, who was at fault. 

AFTER the accident.

As anyone who knows road safety, apportioning blame is not part of preventing accidents. 

We need to understand what happened through forensic analysis. Video alone is often very misleading as it only shows what happens in front of the cameras.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Transam said:

Because when folk KNOW there are CCTV they behave themselves. Why do you think CCTV have been put on many traffic light junctions, well I'll tell you, to stop folk jumping red lights, they get a fine through the post, won't do it again and tell their friends..It also saves lives at these junctions as the number of "jumpers" will be greatly reduced..

You miss the point with every post.

This was an accident on a country road and it was suggested that CCTV would have prevented it.

I reality it would have had no effect.

and your premise that people will KNOW is rather tenuous - only in certain situations is that true and it is not relevant to events in this thread.

you also need to support your hypotheses with some hard evidence.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Transam said:

So you don't understand my............"When people KNOW".....🥴

Perhaps YOU should support YOUR hypotheses with some hard evidence too.....🥴

I do recall that YOU are the bloke that says there is nothing wrong with Thai driving, it's the infrastructures fault, so I really don't take a lot of notice of your hypotheses anyway....🤭

If your Traveling down the road and see a sign telling you Speed Cameras are in operation do you ignore it and plow on or do you slow to the speed limit on that rd khunwilco?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

AFTER the accident.

As anyone who knows road safety, apportioning blame is not part of preventing accidents. 

We need to understand what happened through forensic analysis. Video alone is often very misleading as it only shows what happens in front of the cameras.

I'D say if your going at a fast speed and you hit an object its because A you failed to see it ( Without due care and attention ) B you misjudged the distance in front of you, and C You were traveling at a speed you could not react fast enough to hit the object. There is no such thing as an Accident. An Accident is caused by a mistake be it man-made or Machinery.

• Like 2