News Forum - Taxis don’t need to use their meters going out of Bangkok

Thaiger

Taxis licensed in Bangkok are now allowed to drive without using meters outside of the city’s 7 main provinces, allowing more service flexibility. Taxi drivers and passengers travelling outside of these 7 provinces will have to negotiate prices instead of using metres. The 7 provinces include Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Sakhon, Chachoengsao, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi. Taxis and passengers prefer negotiating prices over using taxi meters when travelling across provinces. However, taxis operating in the seven provinces must use meters. The update will be official on Saturday after being published in the Royal Gazette on Friday, June 10, […]

The story Taxis don’t need to use their meters going out of Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Angry 1

4 minutes ago, Giltee said:

So the taxi mafia in Phuket will take notice?

They don't need to, meter taxis would (according to Phuket meter rules) have  only to use it FROM the airport and for a ride on Phuket. TO the airport, or off the island, that 's always legal "negotiable"!

The new Bangkok thing is normal, I think. Meter prices are always only valid in a specific region, even in the "real world". Aside that it is mostly cheaper,  to negotiate a 100/200km ride, instead of using the meter for it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThaiEyes said:

For foreigners, it’s often a chore to get them to use the meter. So nothing will likely change for us. 

10 hours ago, Pinetree said:

It would be great if you could get them to use the damn meter inside Bangkok, never mind outside. 

Idk about you guys, but since day 1 I have been here, I've never had a taxi which didn't use the meter. But I did notice some 'different' kind of meter. Apparently I must have taken all the correct taxis that time. 

But this news is going to be annoying for people living right on the edges of of Bangkok/Samut Prakan and Bangkok/Nonthaburi and have to cross into the other province, even though it's just still Bangkok. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

I've never had a taxi which didn't use the meter.

you have been very lucky, no more than that.  It is a rampant practice in  BKK

With the amount of taxis I've taken it's strange that I've never encountered one. Well, maybe once or twice, but when you get in, start speaking some things in Thai that you know and say where you need to go in Thai, they'll see that you're familiar and are less likely to bs you. Helps a lot! 

Idk about you guys, but since day 1 I have been here, I've never had a taxi which didn't use the meter. But I did notice some 'different' kind of meter. Apparently I must have taken all the correct taxis that time. 

Me too, I can't recall any problems with taxi meters in the Greater Bangkok Area since my first trip in 2015. 

But this news is going to be annoying for people living right on the edges of of Bangkok/Samut Prakan and Bangkok/Nonthaburi and have to cross into the other province, even though it's just still Bangkok. 

Intra-provincial travels is still under meter rule in those 7 provinces. I reckon most of taxi driver would probably not matter of a little digression outside if start and end are within (unless they want lose some coustomers).

Edited by Ivo_Shandor
  • Like 1