News Forum - Thailand’s new cannabis laws, yes, but no, but yes…

Thaiger

The reports of Thailand’s reformed cannabis laws have reached the far corners of the earth, being reported in the BBC, on CNN, For News, Australia’s ABC… well everywhere really. But once readers get past the headline the nitty gritty paints a more nuanced story about exactly what the recent ‘legalisation’ actually means. “People in Thailand can now grow cannabis plants at home and sell the crop after the nation removed marijuana from its banned narcotics list.” – BBC “Thailand on Thursday became the first country in Asia to decriminalize cannabis — but tough penalties will still apply to those who […]

The story Thailand’s new cannabis laws, yes, but no, but yes… as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 3

You can grow, possess and distribute THC rich flower, just don't get caught smoking it, or using it to extract THC rich oils/bi-products (used it edibles and vapes, etc.). That's the sum of it all, as I see it. 

• Like 2

It’s not going to stop those who want to smoke it and get high. The point of fact in this will be as the article said it’s going to be interesting to see how and if the police are going to enforce the law? 

But not foreigners.

Personally, I have no interest in growing it but I cannot understand the reasoning for allowing Thais to grow it but not foreigners.

9 minutes ago, Loong said:

Personally, I have no interest in growing it but I cannot understand the reasoning for allowing Thais to grow it but not foreigners.

Foreigners can be included in the license in the amount of max 1/3 of the components of a juristic person (e.g., a company), provided the responsible is a Thai national (Clause 6, point (2) of the "MINISTERIAL REGULATION ON APPLICATION FOR LICENSES AND GRANT OF LICENSES TO PRODUCE, IMPORT, EXPORT, DISPOSE OR POSSESS NARCOTICS OF CATEGORY V CONCERNING HEMP, B.E. 2563 (2020)". Hence, if you form a legal entity with other 2 Thais, you can grow it.

This article is just wrong.

Extracts over 0.2% = not allowed

Food with over 0.2% = not allowed

But growing, possessing and distributing Cannabis Buds over 0.2% = allowed

They even give the confiscated Cannabis back to the people who got it stolen from the cops before.

I am in love with Thailand. From the worst to the best country in the world since 3 days. Now drop the masks everywhere, outdoor and indoor, and let’s go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This will result in far more “dope heads “ driving when high on the drug when on Thai roads, resulting in many more traffic accidents / deaths, you can just see it from motor cyclists and distance lorry drivers who don’t care about their and other road users wellbeing. 
It’s the Thai Government what needs it head examined for decriminalisation of this dangerous drug which will cause so much misery and heartache to the Thai community in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SteveH said:

This will result in far more “dope heads “ driving when high on the drug when on Thai roads, resulting in many more traffic accidents / deaths, you can just see it from motor cyclists and distance lorry drivers who don’t care about their and other road users wellbeing. 
It’s the Thai Government what needs it head examined for decriminalisation of this dangerous drug which will cause so much misery and heartache to the Thai community in the future. 

fully agree ,and i am no angel i have smoked it and eaten it got high on it and enjoyed it in my younger days ,in it's defense it was never addictive great for people with serious health issues , and gave me a greater appetite .In saying that it will lead to Thailand becoming the dope capital of southeast Asia and  the police will never be able to control it's use as other countries have found out , if they go ahead i would love to jump forward 10 years to see the outcome .

• Like 1

Yes, but no, but yes.... 

That's every rule here in Thailand😂 it's also the way things work in every company in Thailand😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveH said:

But you can only grow it between the hours of 11am to 2pm and after 4pm

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, HighSo said:

I am in love with Thailand. From the worst to the best country in the world since 3 days.

You'll get over that soon enough. BTW What you posted up is what I have been led to believe also. Still the government has been talking around themselves to not say it in clear precise language. Playing  both sides against the middle. Just like they did with their vaccine procurement clusterpuck. You are just going to have to wait and see what these Somchais are actually doing. 

Held off buying a glass modernistic style bong this weekend. It would look good on the bar, but until the dust settles, Mullins coolers it be.  

10 hours ago, Loong said:

If you were to grow it for profit you might need a work permit or business license 😂

• Like 1

Prohibition has never worked anywhere in the world. It just provides opportunities for criminal gangs.

Edited by Stevejm
  • Like 3

I would think that any dopeheads who want to drive while stoned are already doing it. They are probably less likely to be involved in road rage incidents than alcohol fueled drivers🤔

• Like 3

Article is incorrect like many covering this topic.

Extracts containing more than 0.2% THC are illegal for recreational users. Medical patients proscribed high THC extracts have nothing to worry about.

Recreational users smoking high THC flowers have nothing to worry about unless they start to make extracts out of it.

13 hours ago, SteveH said:

Ok Boomer. Because everyone being able to buy poison from any 711 is so much safer.

10 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Prohibition has never worked anywhere in the world. It just provides opportunities for criminal gangs.

Yes, with devastating consequences 

• Like 1