News Forum - Gov’s 1 million cannabis plant hand out poses a danger to the health of Thailand’s youth

Thaiger

Chairman of the Royal College of Paediatricians of Thailand admits he is worried that the government’s 1 million cannabis plant hand out poses a danger to the health of the nation’s youth. Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Mananya Thaiset yesterday revealed 2 cannabis plants can be distributed to each household to a maximum of 500,000 interested families throughout the kingdom. The decision follows the Thailand’s new legislation of cannabis on Thursday. Mananya says people interested can file an application on Thursday, June 16 at cooperative offices in their provinces and agricultural research and development centres in 53 provinces. Registrants will […]

The story Gov’s 1 million cannabis plant hand out poses a danger to the health of Thailand’s youth as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Smoking  can Get you  high ! For some its effects can be debilitating while under the influence! And for others they have the opposite effect!

As a musician ,I never could understand how other musicians could sing,play a instrument and be oblivious  all at the same time!

• Like 1

I find it absolutely gobsmacking that a government is handing out cannabis plants! We all know that the biggest majority of recipients will smoke it or try to extract the goodies to get high. 

The law specifically says marijuana is prohibited for those under the age of 20. And honestly if the kids want it they will get it (and do now) without the government give a away. This is just a pediatrician being a nanny to everyone. There's always one 🙄 Save your selective outrage for the real and current alcohol problem plaguing kids. I'd rather deal with a couple kids smoking weed than a couple of drunk kids any day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's insane that Marijuana is always looked at as a terrible drug, while alcohol can be sold everywhere. People who say Marijuana is bad, only know Marijuana from the stereotypes on tv. 

Having lived in a family with many different addictions all my life, I can say for sure that Marijuana is nothing to worry about compared to alcohol for example. 

• Like 3

Marijuana legalization and decriminalization is a net positive for society imho. Parental guidance is always advised, however id rather have my child smoking herb occasionally than processed cigarettes' or developing a taste for alcohol.  It really is medicinal and beneficial on multiple levels. Healthy stress relief *outside of eating and drinking*  is something that is really positive for society and  sitting governments

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

It's insane that Marijuana is always looked at as a terrible drug, while alcohol can be sold everywhere. People who say Marijuana is bad, only know Marijuana from the stereotypes on tv. 

Having lived in a family with many different addictions all my life, I can say for sure that Marijuana is nothing to worry about compared to alcohol for example. 

I'd say they're equally as bad

• Haha 1

Legalising cannabis is one thing, but handing it out is bizarre.

Smoking anything is bad for you, and most people do smoke weed. It's also well known that cannabis makes people lazy and can cause mental illness. 

All this from the Ministry of Health. Very odd indeed.

• Like 1

Another instrument to attract the tourist dollar. And whilst the medicinal properties of cannabis are well documented do we really need the government handing out plants? 

4 hours ago, dj230 said:

I'm not going to insult you like most people would, but I will say that you are very misinformed if you think they are equally as bad. Alcohol is FAR worse in pretty much any metric you can look at. Alcohol is a deadly poison. You can accidentally drink yourself to death in one sitting (and it happens quite frequently.) There are ZERO recorded incidents of someone dying from a weed overdose... it's just not possible. Cannabis doesn't make people violent like alcohol (quite the opposite, actually.) Cannabis is not chemically addictive like alcohol (stopping alcohol can literally kill you. Stopping cannabis, at worse, causes mild irritability for a few days.)

Again, I'm not trying to insult you, but please look into actual facts before making such a horribly misinformed statement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

LIt's also well known that cannabis makes people lazy and can cause mental illness. 

Bull.

When I started using it a few years ago, I became MUCH more active. I lost 20kg because I stopped pouring beer down my throat all day and I started going on hikes and rode my bike all the time.

Cannabis saved me from a sedentary, unhealthy lifestyle.  And my experience is not unique... most mature cannabis patients will say the same thing.

Stop repeating false propaganda.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, riclag said:

As a musician ,I never could understand how other musicians could sing,play a instrument and be oblivious  all at the same time!

I play guitar MUCH better when I'm high. Initially, I thought it just sounded better to me because, well, I was high! But once I started making some recordings and going back and listening to them the next day (not high) I was blown away at how much better I was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dj230 said:

You only have to look at the news to see how many deaths are related to alcohol. Alcohol is way more dangerous. 

What could be dangerous tho is a person who tries to stop using Marijuana. Not for everyone, but some people could become more violent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Legalising cannabis is one thing, but handing it out is bizarre.

Smoking anything is bad for you, and most people do smoke weed. It's also well known that cannabis makes people lazy and can cause mental illness. 

All this from the Ministry of Health. Very odd indeed.

From personal experience, without a combination of Prozac and cannabis I would very likely have been another suicide statistic. Those days are a long way behind me, and I hope I never feel that black dog snapping at my heels again - maybe abuse can cause mental health issues, but then again so can alcohol abuse.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jerm138 said:

Bull.

When I started using it a few years ago, I became MUCH more active. I lost 20kg because I stopped pouring beer down my throat all day and I started going on hikes and rode my bike all the time.

Cannabis saved me from a sedentary, unhealthy lifestyle.  And my experience is not unique... most mature cannabis patients will say the same thing.

Stop repeating false propaganda.

Personal experience actually, and the experience of friends who used to smoke lots of it. 

You must be the only person I've ever heard of who reports greater levels of activity while smoking pot. Most of us get lazy, which makes sense, given that cannabis lowers the levels of dopamine in the striatum - the part of the brain responsible for motivation. Pot also stimulates appetite (the munchies), so your weight loss may have been due to other reasons. 

I think it may be you who's influenced by propaganda from the big dope lobby.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grumpish said:

From personal experience, without a combination of Prozac and cannabis I would very likely have been another suicide statistic. Those days are a long way behind me, and I hope I never feel that black dog snapping at my heels again - maybe abuse can cause mental health issues, but then again so can alcohol abuse.  

In your case, I'm glad you got through your difficult period. Horses for courses.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RedBirdy said:

however id rather have my child smoking herb occasionally

I rather have my child playing football, but hey, each to his own, a parent has to do what they think is best for their child even if that includes taking drugs I suppose.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jerm138 said:

I play guitar MUCH better when I'm high. Initially, I thought it just sounded better to me because, well, I was high! But once I started making some recordings and going back and listening to them the next day (not high) I was blown away at how much better I was.

Definitely music sounds better when you're stoned - cannabis is a sensual thing. Perhaps you were listening to your recordings after having had a crafty toke?

37 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Personal experience actually, and the experience of friends who used to smoke lots of it. 

You must be the only person I've ever heard of who reports greater levels of activity while smoking pot. Most of us get lazy, which makes sense, given that cannabis lowers the levels of dopamine in the striatum - the part of the brain responsible for motivation. Pot also stimulates appetite (the munchies), so your weight loss may have been due to other reasons. 

I think it may be you who's influenced by propaganda from the big dope lobby.

" cannabis makes you lazy"

As a grower of cannabis and you can check my answer and reply if you wish. 

There are two basic types of cannabis, Indica and sativa. 

Sativa will give you a head high which more often than not will make you more active. 

Indica has the opposite effect and will give you couch lock.

So you are completely mistaken to say cannabis makes you lazy 

You can usually tell the difference between Sativa and Indica 

Sativa has long thin leaves where as Indica is usually broad wider leaves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

I rather have my child playing football, but hey, each to his own, a parent has to do what they think is best for their child even if that includes taking drugs I suppose.

Thats wonderful Marble!

Please take what I say out of context. I meant to express, that when considering other vices they may be getting into unbeknownst to their parents, cannabis is comparatively harmless.  Not promoting any childhood use obviously 

Edited by RedBirdy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedBirdy said:

Thats wonderful Marble!

Please take what I say out of context. I meant to express, that when considering other vices they may be getting into unbeknownst to their parents, cannabis is comparatively harmless.  Not promoting any childhood use obviously 

Nothing was taken out of context that was exactly what you said.

"Comparatively harmless" Those are your words and not mine, it has been proven that cannabis can lead to long term mental illness.

Now if I said I would rather my child only shoot one person as opposed to three let's say, now that would be logical now wouldn't it, but it would be twisted logic.

But at least we agree on not promoting any childhood use.😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Greeneyes said:

" cannabis makes you lazy"

As a grower of cannabis and you can check my answer and reply if you wish. 

There are two basic types of cannabis, Indica and sativa. 

Sativa will give you a head high which more often than not will make you more active. 

Indica has the opposite effect and will give you couch lock.

So you are completely mistaken to say cannabis makes you lazy 

You can usually tell the difference between Sativa and Indica 

Sativa has long thin leaves where as Indica is usually broad wider leaves. 

I don’t believe you. Send me some of each so I can conduct my own tests. Actually, send a lot so I can do some blind testing with friends just to be sure. Your reputation depends on this. And chocolate. Always include the chocolate.