News Forum - New tourist visa waivers being proposed to CCSA for next week’s meeting

Thaiger

More proposals are heading to next week’s crucial CCSA meeting where Thailand’s Covid taskforce is poised to make several key changes to the reopening of the country and existing restrictions. Among the latest proposals to be tabled next week are changes to tourist visas. The Tourism Authority of Thailand, with support of a wide variety of tourism associations and players from around the country, will propose a visa fee exemption for foreigners arriving in Thailand and an eligibility extension for travellers from countries not requiring a visa to enter Thailand from 30 to 45 days during the rest of 2022. […]

The story New tourist visa waivers being proposed to CCSA for next week’s meeting as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

One day, all these proposals will eventually come to something. It will be like a tidal wave, with 5000 changes turning up at once.

• Haha 1

Some really positive stuff here. In addition to Visa changes, they're lobbying to:

Remove mask mandate everywhere 

Drop Thailand Pass

Drop temperature checking 

All very sensible policies..... so unlikely they'll all be adopted immediately... but here's hoping. 

• Like 4

I think this is a good idea but any changes that are made to invites more . But if u have paid for the visa for a upto 45 days they should be given a refund as some pay and to change the rules when close to the holidays could be a little unfair many pay months in advance to get there visa sorted and a lot of work involved to do so along with the pass and go any changes Its only fair if we follow the rules and you change it to benefit the kingdom thanks mark

All of these covid restrictions have proved mostly pointless. Despite the warning for big spikes, Songkran, testing, testing, nightlife, etc cases continue to trend down. Why? Because it’s a virus. It goes up and down no matter what we do.

There are some specific but very rigid things you can do to protect yourself if you’re worried about covid. But forcing bars to close at midnight (I know) or making others wear a mask doesn’t do anything 

Let these businesses get back to work full time. Throw out the meaningless temperature check points. At this point I don’t even put my hand up to the monitor and rarely get asked to do so. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

All of these covid restrictions have proved mostly pointless. Despite the warning for big spikes, Songkran, testing, testing, nightlife, etc cases continue to trend down. Why? Because it’s a virus. It goes up and down no matter what we do.

There are some specific but very rigid things you can do to protect yourself if you’re worried about covid. But forcing bars to close at midnight (I know) or making others wear a mask doesn’t do anything 

Let these businesses get back to work full time. Throw out the meaningless temperature check points. At this point I don’t even put my hand up to the monitor and rarely get asked to do so. 

Bang on, you're right on the money here.

Unfortunately most of Thailand doesn’t get these facts yet. Let's hope things change soon. 

• Like 1

All these restrictions are pointless and about control only.

To "save face" what I think they should decide at the CCSA meeting next week is:

Scrap outdoor face mask mandates nationwide effective immediately (June 17)

Scrap the Thailand Pass and all it's associated restrictions. Only require a passport under the same terms as the old pre-Covid entry rules effective July 1.

Nightlife - allow a 2am closing time effective July 1.

Scrap temperature checks.

I strongly believe these four changes will be approved.

What I think they should do going forward is:

Scrap some indoor mask mandates on July 1 - including at malls, supermarkets, businesses and government offices.

July 15 - scrap them on public transport as well.

August 1 - scrap masks at hospitals and large events thus ending all forms of mandatory masking in Thailand.

Edited by Highlandman

They should scrap mask wearing and other restrictions for those who got vaccinated.

If you decided not to get vaccinated then suck it up buttercup. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mark.9898672 said:

I think this is a good idea but any changes that are made to invites more . But if u have paid for the visa for a upto 45 days they should be given a refund as some pay and to change the rules when close to the holidays could be a little unfair many pay months in advance to get there visa sorted and a lot of work involved to do so along with the pass and go any changes Its only fair if we follow the rules and you change it to benefit the kingdom thanks mark

Read again carefully, you have misunderstood the changes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

They should scrap mask wearing and other restrictions for those who got vaccinated.

If you decided not to get vaccinated then suck it up buttercup. 

How would one know who is vaccinated or not?

Perhaps make the non-vacs wear a shirt with a yellow star or something? 😜

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, astro said:

The vaccinated have evidence. I see where you are going with the yellow star thing.

If you were too frightened to get vaccinated then suck it up buttercup. The rest of society did the right thing.

• Like 4

That doesn't answer my question.

Should people in the streets be controlled by police to show their vac evidence? Perhaps the yellow star would be easier to implement to make you feel safe, eh?

BTW, riglag: it's quite ok to comment on my posts or ask if you don't understand something, intead of constantly sending me "sad" smilies.

• Haha 1

The technology is now out there to make the pandemic an endemic we can live with similar to malaria, syphilis, or the flu.  Preventive shots are widely availble, and effective treatments are availble should one still get sick.  

Its Thailands choice how or if they return to normal.  This said income from travelers will not return till some level of normalcy returns. 

I took my last trip to Mexico as opposed to Thailand because Mexico has made the tough choices. Traveling there requires no extra costs, consideratins, or worries. One obtains a visa on arrival for generous 180 days, so even the slowest traveler is unlikely to need a trip to a busy immigration office.   Their travel infrastructure is at full stregnth with hotels, restaurants, beaches, and bars all operating normal hours.   I had a wonderful stay.  

Thailand hasn't yet made these choices, and everything from entry rules and costs, to conditions and rules on the ground are in flux.  Its difficult to plan with such uncertainty.  With so much of the tourist infrastructure still operating in a crippled state its difficult to determine what kind of stay is possible.  Simply put the travel experience at a glance is not competitive at this point in time because no choice to return to some state of normal has been made.

23 hours ago, rc1 said:

... Drop temperature checking 

All very sensible policies..... so unlikely they'll all be adopted immediately... but here's hoping. 

With the money businesses have had to pay for tempurature checking devices, can you see that being dropped? Unless the government does a buy-back, of course and I will see pigs fly before that happens :)

7 hours ago, astro said:

BTW, riglag: it's quite ok to comment on my posts or ask if you don't understand something, intead of constantly sending me "sad" smilies.

lol you too ?

They allow people of all ages and IQ levels on here so don't stress about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bvbeyond said:

The technology is now out there to make the pandemic an endemic we can live with similar to malaria, syphilis, or the flu.  Preventive shots are widely availble, and effective treatments are availble should one still get sick.  

Its Thailands choice how or if they return to normal.  This said income from travelers will not return till some level of normalcy returns. 

I took my last trip to Mexico as opposed to Thailand because Mexico has made the tough choices. Traveling there requires no extra costs, consideratins, or worries. One obtains a visa on arrival for generous 180 days, so even the slowest traveler is unlikely to need a trip to a busy immigration office.   Their travel infrastructure is at full stregnth with hotels, restaurants, beaches, and bars all operating normal hours.   I had a wonderful stay.  

Thailand hasn't yet made these choices, and everything from entry rules and costs, to conditions and rules on the ground are in flux.  Its difficult to plan with such uncertainty.  With so much of the tourist infrastructure still operating in a crippled state its difficult to determine what kind of stay is possible.  Simply put the travel experience at a glance is not competitive at this point in time because no choice to return to some state of normal has been made.

I have news for you, technology has nothing to do with whether you classify this disease outbreak a pandemic or you all it endemic. The virus doesn't know or care what you call it. Endemic classification does not change anything or have any effect it doesn't make the virus any less or more deadly. It's only effects are psychological as some people will believe it's less dangerous when it's called endemic. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends entirely on your opinion of how dangerous the virus is (although the facts are that based on the statistics the virus is about ten times more deadly than influenza and it leaves significantly more than that permanently disabled). But don't fool yourself using the word "Endemic" will make no difference to how many get sick or die other than a possible increase in those numbers due to people believing that the virus is no longer a problem and not taking precautions to avoid it as a result. 

When I read this article yesterday in the BKK Post, I’m sure there was a sentence that said that they would request removing the Thailand pass, but retain the need for Covid travel insurance? I can’t find that online today and it may have been under a different headline? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

I have news for you, technology has nothing to do with whether you classify this disease outbreak a pandemic or you all it endemic. The virus doesn't know or care what you call it. Endemic classification does not change anything or have any effect it doesn't make the virus any less or more deadly. It's only effects are psychological as some people will believe it's less dangerous when it's called endemic. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends entirely on your opinion of how dangerous the virus is (although the facts are that based on the statistics the virus is about ten times more deadly than influenza and it leaves significantly more than that permanently disabled). But don't fool yourself using the word "Endemic" will make no difference to how many get sick or die other than a possible increase in those numbers due to people believing that the virus is no longer a problem and not taking precautions to avoid it as a result. 

You're obviously what they call in your native Australia "a doomer".

Newsflash for you Tim - the world has moved on from Covid and Thailand will be no exception.

The virus is nowhere near as dangerous as it's made out to be,,now vaccines and treatments are widely adopted, and your comments re:influenza (10x) and long Covid are complete rubbish. 

2 hours ago, rc1 said:

You're obviously what they call in your native Australia "a doomer".

Newsflash for you Tim - the world has moved on from Covid and Thailand will be no exception.

The virus is nowhere near as dangerous as it's made out to be,,now vaccines and treatments are widely adopted, and your comments re:influenza (10x) and long Covid are complete rubbish. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusDownunder/comments/v9qer5/its_not_like_the_flu_its_10x_worse_than_a_bad_flu/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Those who recieve the preventitive shots have a significantly lower chance of illness to the point of hospitalization or death.   For those who do become sick enough for hospitalization, there are now several treatments that significantly reduce mortality.    World wide mortality rates this past week are the lowest they've been since 3/22/2020, and still sinking.  Finally, new and even better treatments are still on final approach.  While the virus is not gone and never completely will be, its ability to kill is significantly reduced.   

Today people can still die of malaria, syphilis, measels, flu, tetanus and a host of other bacterial and virial illnesses that are still with mankind.  Even supposidly erradicated diseases such as the bubonic plauge and measels still crop up once in a while.   But when people take preventative measures, and/or receive treatement with adiquate time, these illnesses ability to kill is greatly reduced.  

Road fatalities in Thailand average between 21,000 to 24,000 per year or roughtly 2,000 per month in a country of 70 million.  Severe road injuries are many times higher.  COVID deaths for Thailand for the past 28 days have been 862.  

At the beginning of this pandemic I double masked and even soaped down my groceries.  I appreciate that people still have fears.

But considering you and I are at a difference of opinion on progress.  In your opinion at what point or metric can we go out and be with other human beings again?   

Edited by bvbeyond
Incomplete sentence removed.
  • Like 1

Tim,

You mentioned a lot of great things that could help being in the tourists however I would like to expand on a couple. The trip to Thailand from USA/Canada to Thailand is approximately 21 hours and the exemption visa is 30 days. Foreigners travelling to Thailand for the first time will limit their time in Thailand because  they may want to see more Asian countries however if the Thai visa was a 120 day or 180 day visa like ours is then they could stay a lot longer without rushing.

I would not mind keeping the Thai pass if the immigration card TM6 was part of the Thailand pass. Having your vaccination and all the necessary documents already verified would expedite the process at the airport. 

Bruce 

4 hours ago, bvbeyond said:

Those who recieve the preventitive shots have a significantly lower chance of illness to the point of hospitalization or death.   For those who do become sick enough for hospitalization, there are now several treatments that significantly reduce mortality.    World wide mortality rates this past week are the lowest they've been since 3/22/2020, and still sinking.  Finally, new and even better treatments are still on final approach.  While the virus is not gone and never completely will be, its ability to kill is significantly reduced.   

Today people can still die of malaria, syphilis, measels, flu, tetanus and a host of other bacterial and virial illnesses that are still with mankind.  Even supposidly erradicated diseases such as the bubonic plauge and measels still crop up once in a while.   But when people take preventative measures, and/or receive treatement with adiquate time, these illnesses ability to kill is greatly reduced.  

Road fatalities in Thailand average between 21,000 to 24,000 per year or roughtly 2,000 per month in a country of 70 million.  Severe road injuries are many times higher.  COVID deaths for Thailand for the past 28 days have been 862.  

At the beginning of this pandemic I double masked and even soaped down my groceries.  I appreciate that people still have fears.

But considering you and I are at a difference of opinion on progress.  In your opinion at what point or metric can we go out and be with other human beings again?   

I have not stated a position on removal of sanctions, mandates etc. in my post. I am just pointing out that whether you stop using the term "pandemic" or you declare the disease "endemic" does not effect the situation. The disease doesn't care. As I have pointed out in a response to another member that is in denial, in Australia where over 95% of the population have received two or more vaccinations and we have the dramatically reduced fatality rate as a result of this and other new treatments for those that are vulnerable, we are still seeing a fatality rate that indicates that covid is still ten times more deadly than influenza was in 2017. Changing the terminology will not change that fact other than encouraging many members of the community to behave in ways that spread the virus. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 7:49 PM, astro said:

Mor Phrom App already includes a digital health pass that shows vaccination status 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bvbeyond said:

One  measure of the status of the virus may be determination of the level of antibodies in the population. UK has done that and I was quite surprised at the results. Annual vaccination for vulnerable people may be required as for flu.Note the below stats are from the UK ONS

12ABFED3-0B5F-4990-948E-AD02A42F11BC.png

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/antibodies

Edited by Smithydog
Added URL Link to quoted text