News Forum - What are common miscommunications between Thais and foreigners?

Thaiger

Thailand is an amazing country for foreigners because of its rich history and culture. However, Thais speak in a very different way to Westerners, and cultural misunderstandings can occur if you are unfamiliar with people from the Land of Smiles. Thai people are generally pleasant and laid-back, and they will forgive visitors who make unintended rude gestures. Making the effort to know some of these differences and knowing what you should and shouldn’t do can help you avoid an awkward scenario. Giving advice or feedback Indirect negative feedback is preferred in Thai culture. If a Thai friend or coworker wants […]

The story What are common miscommunications between Thais and foreigners? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

17 minutes ago, Z650 said:

How much?🤑

Up to you! 🤨

Personally I hate that and so my wife always advises any casual workers that I require their 'price' to be nominated up front or when job is complete.  I've never felt cheated and usually round up the very fair amount requested.

• Like 5

Anything requiring punctuality. I've received looks of surprise when I have arrived on time to events, like I wasn't expected. And on the other hand, it irks me when I'm expecting someone to arrive at an agreed upon time and they arrive 1+ hours later without so much as an apology or an explanation for their tardiness.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Petey said:

Anything requiring punctuality. I've received looks of surprise when I have arrived on time to events, like I wasn't expected. And on the other hand, it irks me when I'm expecting someone to arrive at an agreed upon time and they arrive 1+ hours later without so much as an apology or an explanation for their tardiness.

"Thai time"

Get used to it or it will drive you insane.

Had friends ring and say they in the car on the way over, arrived one hour later on a ten minute drive --- they drove past the markets and had a short stop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Find when talking to Thais on any subject, if there is a pause for thought from yourself for a reply you must restate the subject of the conversation again prior to your delayed reply. Thai minds wander at a fast pace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Petey said:

And on the other hand, it irks me when I'm expecting someone to arrive at an agreed upon time and they arrive 1+ hours later without so much as an apology or an explanation

That is an easy one, just tell 'em : Farang time, not Thai time, ok maai?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I learnt this very valuable lesson the hard way when transitioning from a Western office to a Thai office. 

“Why haven’t you done this?” is a guaranteed path to frustration for everyone because the question is often a dilemma for a Thai.

“How can we get this done?” saves face, offers assistance (which you will never rarely be taken up on for various reasons) and avoids laying blame. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

That is an easy one, just tell 'em : Farang time, not Thai time, ok maai?

Until they arrive and look at you and remember your farang time request, and a quiet solly if you are fortunate.

• Like 1

Same they can cut you off in traffic but when you honk the horn its rude look at the monks they get drunk rape and kill but we are not aloude to talk about it   

4 hours ago, palooka said:

Find when talking to Thais on any subject, if there is a pause for thought from yourself for a reply you must restate the subject of the conversation again prior to your delayed reply. Thai minds wander at a fast pace.

You said ,"Thai minds wander at a fast pace."

Here we go again, all Thais are the same, all Thai are clones if each other.

Just because you mix with dim Thais does not mean all Thais are dim.🥱

• Like 2

This article is assuming all farangs have the same culture and way of life.

I have worked in many countries as a software engineer.

In England we are more polite when we come across things which need putting right by a soft approach generally.

I worked in Germany a few times and have heard team leaders and engineers bang the desk while sorting out a problem while almost shouting at each other, then were not annoyed with each other it was just the way they did things with no hard feelings.

In American I found they got straight to the point and if you were wrong about something they said it straight  out in a loud voice.

Holland, Denmark, Sweden usually straight to the point but polite. 

We farangs come from various cultures.

I have also noticed a big difference between the North and South of Thailand between Thais, in the north they usually smile their way out of a situation and talk around things, hardly ever straight to the point. 

In the South they are more plain speaking and get straight to the point usually.

When they ask you a question they not listen or not care about the answer

when they talk to you they just turn and talk to somebody else

• Like 2

Often when I ask a Thai colleague a question that contains the word "or", they answer "yes" or "no"

For example, Are you going out for lunch or eating here?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JamesR said:

In England we are more polite when we come across things which need putting right by a soft approach generally.

Yeah, about that:

Why does ist often look like , this  polite soft approach doesn't make it into the luggage, if a Brit goes off his Island?

😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jingjai said:

Often when I ask a Thai colleague a question that contains the word "or", they answer "yes" or "no"

"Yes"

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, jingjai said:

You asked two questions at once, Thais cannot handle that.

• Like 2

The most common confusion I see is simply when Thais speak English and mix up the pronouns. Creates a deal of confusion at times along with a lot of laughs! For example, when my wife and I were shopping and she saw a dress she liked. Kept saying "your" dress instead of "her" dress and we had a good laugh when she realised what she had said, and after I told her I don't wear dresses any longer...ha ha. 😁

Equally my feeble attempts at speaking Thai causes confusion, no matter how well I practice a phrase, and generates more than it its fair share of laughter at times. 

• Like 3

1. Flash headlights to let someone go first (very rare).

2. Flash headlights to indicate they're not stopping to let you out.

The same signal for two opposite things.

When out for meals I often forget and order something like a burger that can't really be shared. Then they are all sharing and I feel rather selfish with my own private plate.

Or drinks, I forget and order an expensive imported beer while they get Leo's or water and then they insist to split the bill equally. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JamesR said:

You said ,"Thai minds wander at a fast pace."

Here we go again, all Thais are the same, all Thai are clones if each other.

Just because you mix with dim Thais does not mean all Thais are dim.🥱

Outside Bangkok Chinese average IQ 90 is pretty dim🤣😉😌.doesn’t apply to Medical Staff or Airline Pilots or Architects I suppose as all smart & educated in Bangkok. 

25 minutes ago, Scribble said:

1. Flash headlights to let someone go first (very rare).

2. Flash headlights to indicate they're not stopping to let you out.

The same signal for two opposite things.

Don’t. Unclear Road Practice. So Very Dangerous. 😩😟

2 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Equally my feeble attempts at speaking Thai causes confusion, no matter how well I practice a phrase, and generates more than it its fair share of laughter at times.

Pronouncing the word Suai, meaning beautiful, but get the tone wrong it means something else