News Forum - Thailand’s Cabinet votes in favour of revolutionary alcohol brewing act

Thaiger

Yesterday, Thailand’s Cabinet voted in favour of an act which will allow Thais to brew and sell their own alcohol. The law it still in its first stages, but if it goes ahead it will be revolutionary for Thailand’s alcohol industry. The “Progressive Liquor Act” aims to amend Section 153 of the Excise Tax Act which requires alcohol producers to obtain permits under strict and costly standards set by the Ministry of Finance. The amendment will lower the existing standards and make room for small breweries to enter the market. The act will allow Thai people not only to brew […]

The story Thailand’s Cabinet votes in favour of revolutionary alcohol brewing act as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

First stages! It will never see the light of day since a certain persons wife’s religion doesn’t approve of alcohol , imop

• Like 1

Yes Yes this is a win win for the population of Thailand and traveler's visiting "The Land Of Smiles".

Speaking for myself I enjoy microbrewery style beers, and with higher alcohol content than 5 - 6%... Also the taste has a much more flavor over what is brewed and stocked on store shelves 

• Like 2

Cannot see the legal brewers taking this lightly, they have been screaming poor for 2 years with covid and I'm sure Pattaya etc wouldn't want pop up stalls selling all sorts of home brew at probably 1/4 of their prices.

All the bars and restaurants who pay through the nose to be legal sellers of alcohol would want a lot of fees dropped so hard to see it being enacted.

• Like 1

Taking a positive approach, one might hope this Act comes to pass.  The ramifications for the industry could see those successful Microbreweries, many already well established, bought up by the big boys and made to prosper.  The same has happened elsewhere and made the big brewers more profit yet also reducing the price of their craft beers.

There would be many smaller, less successful craft brewers who fall by the wayside through lack of funding and/or a poor business plan but it will be good news for those who enjoy a quality brew.

• Like 3

This type of law broke the stranglehold of "Big Beer" in South Korea about 10 years ago. Now, instead of having to drink the swill that is Cass and Hite, we have some really good, though expensive, microbrews.

• Like 4

Good for Thai Craft Beer brewers that currently brew outside of Thailand and ship back in.  They can now "come home" and brew; good for the economy and creates jobs.  Phuket has been brewing Craft Beer for awhile now and shipping around the country.  But, Phuket has always gotten away with their own rules.

Would love to see some good Sangsom (rum) made here.  One just needs to look at Cachaca distilled in Brasil for how good some of the alcohol is.  Can drink the top cachaca rums straight or shaken over ice like good tequilas.  
            https://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/12/11/9891376/what-is-cachaca

Edited by Haole.TH
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, stevenkongju said:

bThis type of law broke the stranglehold of "Big Beer" in South Korea about 10 years ago. Now, instead of having to drink the swill that is Cass and Hite, we have some really good, though expensive, microbrews.

Hopefully the Thai brewers will drop the current Craft Beer prices since there beers don't have to be flown in from US / EU.   If the prices stay as high as imported Craft Beer prices the Thai Craft Beer won't make much headway since better, more established breweries from US / EU are better beers.

15 minutes ago, stevenkongju said:

This type of law broke the stranglehold of "Big Beer" in South Korea about 10 years ago. Now, instead of having to drink the swill that is Cass and Hite, we have some really good, though expensive, microbrews.

Bangkok's Maha Nakhon beers are expensive, very very good, and likely to reduce in price with competition.  Their distribution is still patchy but worth the high price tag for special taste treat.  

https://www.mhnk.beer/

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Bangkok's Maha Nakhon beers are expensive, very very good, and likely to reduce in price with competition.  Their distribution is still patchy but worth the high price tag for special taste treat.  

Never heard of that one KR, just googled it and it says that 7/11 started selling it in 2021 at 65 baht for a 330 ml can. Will look out for it next time in 7/11 and perhaps even buy a can or two strictly for scientific purposes you understand. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

That's a very good beer, unfortunately I can't find it very often at my local 7/11

8 minutes ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

That's a very good beer, unfortunately I can't find it very often at my local 7/11

Makro, VillaMart, Tops and Rimping stores all stock their range but in very limited quantity, so much so that I often clear the shelf, especially of this brew @ 99bt.  

image.thumb.png.133f0ca1aadc89316285a940a8241673.png

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

• 2 months later...

This article may be incorrect and the Thaiger should clarify.

The comment from above in this article I think has been translated incorrectly as from my knowledge this hasn't happened 

Just a few months ago, Thailand passed a law allowing Thais to brew their own alcohol for personal use, but it still forbade them from selling it.

Untitled 20.jpg