News Forum - Child rapist/murderer ‘nearly lynched’ in central Thailand

Thaiger

A man who raped and murdered two children in 2008 was ‘nearly lynched’ by locals who attended a re-enactment of the crime in Khao Yoi district in the central province of Phetchaburi on Monday. The suspect, 53 year old Chert Srijoon, went on the run for 14 years after raping and murdering 13 year old June and 16 year old Naen back in 2008. Chert confessed to raping and strangling June and dumping her body into a swamp. Then, he raped and strangled Naen and dumped her body in the woods on the side of the road, Chert told police. […]

The story Child rapist/murderer ‘nearly lynched’ in central Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Honestly, he deserves to be lynched. But I'll never understand these reenactments... It is claimed to "help investigators visualize the crime and verify confessions" (per wikipedia). If that's the intent, why stir up the locals. I believe for Thailand, these "crime reenactments done publicly at the site of the crime, serve more as a form of public humiliation" (per wikipedia).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Honestly, he deserves to be lynched. But I'll never understand these reenactments... It is claimed to help investigators visualize the crime and verify confessions. If that's the intent, why stir up the locals. I believe for Thailand, these crime reenactments done publicly at the site of the crime, serve more as a form of public humiliation.

Yeah, next time elaborate more and steal from wikipedia less 😄

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 12.34.38.png

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

Yeah, next time elaborate more and steal from wikipedia less 😄

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 12.34.38.png

If I was writing a research paper, I'd consider it. 

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

these "crime reenactments done publicly at the site of the crime, serve more as a form of public humiliation"

And isn't that forbidden, by law?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

Honestly, he deserves to be lynched. But I'll never understand these reenactments... It is claimed to "help investigators visualize the crime and verify confessions" (per wikipedia). If that's the intent, why stir up the locals. I believe for Thailand, these "crime reenactments done publicly at the site of the crime, serve more as a form of public humiliation" (per wikipedia).

I seem to recall Prayut saying he was stopping these re-enactments. Not only does it make it harder for justice to be served as a result of storing up public anger, in many cases it contaminates their scene in regard to forensics. 

It amazes me how many suspects seem to go straight to the confession of a crime. It seems you catch the suspect, put the charges to them and they confess. Do suspects have the right to remain silent in Thailand? If so do the police opt for  “Dangerous torture” measures to extract a confession? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Do suspects have the right to remain silent in Thailand?

Yes. They also have the right to multiple punches to their faces, stylish plastic bags covering their heads and a pad me 50% reduction of their eventual sentence for pleading guilty and assisting police with their enquiries. Thailand has a mix of Western and Thai laws. Innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt is not a shared belief. Quite the opposite. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It amazes me how many suspects seem to go straight to the confession of a crime.

Maybe Thailand has more honest crooks?

Just joking OK, from what I understand there is no Jury trial in Thailand, so if you are caught and the police show you the evidence than you best co-operate, in my opinion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarface said:

'Nearly' lynched. So in other words NOTHING happened to him.

Yeah crazy hey, in the USA they would send 15 FBI agents to investigate.😛

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Maybe Thailand has more honest crooks?

Just joking OK, from what I understand there is no Jury trial in Thailand, so if you are caught and the police show you the evidence than you best co-operate, in my opinion

Yes that could be the case. However many countries don’t have trial by jury such as Netherlands, Germany and Italy to name three and yet the same doesn’t seem to happen there. I don’t have the figures to back up that feeling, but I’ve certainly not seen as many news stories of the likes we seem to see in Thailand. It’s more likely the excellent coercive powers to the RTP that helps? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

Yes. They also have the right to multiple punches to their faces, stylish plastic bags covering their heads and a pad me 50% reduction of their eventual sentence for pleading guilty and assisting police with their enquiries. Thailand has a mix of Western and Thai laws. Innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt is not a shared belief. Quite the opposite. 

Indeed. I'll never forget not long after I arrived in Thailand I was in Bang Rak police station getting a police report. A man in handcuffs was led through the area where I was sitting into a room by two policemen, and a while later he was led out with blood all down his face and the front of his white t-shirt. No effort whatsoever was made to hide what had happened from people like me who were waiting in the public area.

This was in 1990 but I'll never forget it. Thai police have their own tactics that may offend westerners, but that's the way it is in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

It amazes me how many suspects seem to go straight to the confession of a crime. It seems you catch the suspect, put the charges to them and they confess. Do suspects have the right to remain silent in Thailand? If so do the police opt for  “Dangerous torture” measures to extract a confession? 

They get a big discount on the sentence applicable if they confess and further reduction for assistance in arresting others. Incentive.

Pity about the "nearly" hung though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, palooka said:

They get a big discount on the sentence applicable if they confess and further reduction for assistance in arresting others. Incentive.

Up to 50% off for pleading guilty. AFAIK the further reduction of approx 25% is only for assisting in drug cases that lead to a drug arrest and conviction (same thing). So no point grassing up your local serial killer but plenty of incentive to grass up your drug dealer.

• Like 1