News Forum - Bangkok taxi driver caught on video beating Chinese passenger with an iron bar

Thaiger

A dash cam video featuring a taxi driver who bludgeoning a man to the ground on a Bangkok road has emerged. A witness said the victim, a Chinese passenger, tried to negotiate a fair price for the service but became irate by the taxi driver and smashed his hand down on the hood of the car making the driver angry. Boonrod, a 44 year old Grab driver, who recorded the incident on his dashcam, handed the video over to Makkasan Police Station as evidence. He then told media the assault happened near Bangkok’s entertainment area, RCA, around 1.10am Saturday. He […]

The story Bangkok taxi driver caught on video beating Chinese passenger with an iron bar as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

They are so many gentle and welcomming people in this country. They really deserve all of the quality turists they daily are begging for. Just show videos in China and they won't hesitate to come here. 

After 15 years living here there isn't many things that chocks me anymore 

• Like 2

Do we assume this video (along with 'police in roadside-action') video will not be used as part of TaT's European 'roadshow'..?  The sickening thing is this taxi-driver will be out trying to fleece tourists again by this evening...As the song lyrics by Del Amitri go.."Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all"..!

The driver had all the reasons to not accept a drunk customer, zero reasons to beat him.

Edited by Ivo_Shandor
  • Like 2

Expect more of this sort of negative behaviour.  Taxi drivers have been doing it tough re covid and tourists are frustrated that they haven't been allowed to travel re covid. Frustration meets frustration.

Chinaman probably went to that special place he goes everytime he comes to Thailand and that special someone wasn't there, the taxi driver is struggling to pay his debts and this foreigner trys to damage his taxi which is his liveliehood and possible only means of paying off that debt.

Result - Thai tourism suffers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hooooo boy..I imagine the tourism board here is pulling out all the stops to prevent this from going viral

on Weibo.......as if the boat sinking in phuket way back didnt hurt the chinese returning aka the golden calf

I left BKK a week ago. Taxi driver refused to put on meter (said no english) and demanded ฿1000 when we arrived at airport. He soon could speak english when I only gave him ฿300 and walked inside the terminal. 

These Taxi thugs & thieves give Bangkok and Thailand such a bad reputation to us tourists. This is my last memory of Thailand - being ripped off! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

15 hours ago, palooka said:

Expect more of this sort of negative behaviour.  Taxi drivers have been doing it tough re covid and tourists are frustrated that they haven't been allowed to travel re covid. Frustration meets frustration.

Chinaman probably went to that special place he goes everytime he comes to Thailand and that special someone wasn't there, the taxi driver is struggling to pay his debts and this foreigner trys to damage his taxi which is his liveliehood and possible only means of paying off that debt.

Result - Thai tourism suffers.

Maybe that Chinaman will consider staying in beloved China in future... and convince all of his countrymen to do the same

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wozzlegummich said:

I left BKK a week ago. Taxi driver refused to put on meter (said no english) and demanded ฿1000 when we arrived at airport. He soon could speak english when I only gave him ฿300 and walked inside the terminal. 

These Taxi thugs & thieves give Bangkok and Thailand such a bad reputation to us tourists. This is my last memory of Thailand - being ripped off! 

You took a chance, he could of decided in favor of himself and took out the machete! Some are on the border line of should I / or shouldn’t I .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wozzlegummich said:

Taxi driver refused to put on meter (said no english) and demanded ฿1000 when we arrived at airport.

If they refuse the meter politely refuse the ride. Plenty of decent taxis around.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, riclag said:

You took a chance, he could of decided in favor of himself and took out the machete! Some are on the border line of should I / or shouldn’t I .

Gotta say I thought he may be coming after me and so I hastily retreated into the terminal. He was still yelling perfect english from his cab but didn't follow me luckily.

Edited by Wozzlegummich
Spelling correction

3 minutes ago, Scribble said:

If they refuse the meter politely refuse the ride. Plenty of decent taxis around.

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to go "Cab Shopping". I just needed to get to the airport. 

• Haha 1

I bet TAT are really happy that this story is making the rounds. There is no excuse for a taxi driver beating a man with an iron bar but maybe if the metered fares were increased so that taxi drivers could make decent money there would be less 'ripping off' of tourists resulting in this type of confrontation. I will not use a taxi in Bangkok without the meter but if I have had a pleasant and courteous ride (not taking the long route) I will give the driver a decent tip. I am very aware that tipping is not the norm in Thailand but I am equally aware that many taxi drivers are trying to raise their families working long hours often for little reward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1