Overstaying by one hour

My Visa is until 25 June, but my flight is 01:35am on 26th. I don't mind paying the fine but certainly I do not wish to be banned from re-entering Thailand in the future. Can someone tell me what is my best option or how likely I am to be banned? Or should I just apply for another covid extension to be safe?

31 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

You could pass thru Immi before midnight and spend your remaining time airside.

I think, that depends on the airport a bit.

If I remember that right, the first (as only) day is not getting charged.

In Bangkok!

In Phuket, however, they even charge for scheduled departure 30 Minutes after midnight, like a friend of mine found out once. They even pull money for 6 years old, which is also not happening (afaik) in Bangkok.

On the plus side: Even if they put a stamp in the passport, a one day overstay is not affecting your return abilities. 

At least that was it, before COVID times.  

5 hours ago, Tolltecz said:

My Visa is until 25 June, but my flight is 01:35am on 26th. I don't mind paying the fine but certainly I do not wish to be banned from re-entering Thailand in the future. Can someone tell me what is my best option or how likely I am to be banned? Or should I just apply for another covid extension to be safe?

Sorry, but why don't you change your flight?  Its hardly rocket science now is it.  If you do leave it and over stay for such a dumb reason, you deserve to be barred/  

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

not true. 

That's an extremely helpful reply, perhaps you could elaborate, as you appear to know better than the published rules for overstay.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Overstay is overstay.  Thai Immigration understand that, why don't you? 

https://www.tratimmigration.com/thailand-visa-overstay-regulations/comment-page-23/

In the referenced article I see:

However, the Thai Immigration officials realize that sometimes people make mistakes and book a flight a day too late or their plans change, a flight is cancelled and they have to leave a day late.  In cases such as these, with a few hours overstay, the 500 Baht overstay fine is usually waived.

If you are in a situation like this, don’t panic.  Just explain to the immigration officer when you are being stamped out of the county.  Apologize and you will be treated fairly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Overstay is overstay.  Thai Immigration understand that, why don't you?

Did you even bother to read the overstay rules?

Check in is 3 hours before departure, which the OP stated was 0135 on 26th June.
By the time the OP has checked in and gone through Immigration control, he'll be airside, as was pointed out in the second post on this topic. Provided he passes through Immigration control before 2400 on 25th June, he hasn't overstayed and even if he departed a day later, he still wouldn't be banned from re-entering.

There is no ban applied for less than 90 days overstay, unless you were being sought, arrested and prosecuted. You'd only be sought after if already on overstay.

• Like 2

From first hand experience, it is the date and time of departure which counts, not the moment one shows up at passport control.

One doesn't actually leave Thailand before departure.

• Like 1

Jeezus you got some good and some total sh*te answers on here
This is how it works boyz and squirrellz 😲
IF you have an overstay of under 24 hours and are FLYING OUT you will not be charged the 500baht for overstay BUT you will get a small thai language stamp in your passport that says "overstay under 24 hours fine waived" 😉
IF you are over 24 hours <- even by ONE minute you will be charged 1000baht for TWO days overstay AND get the real overstay stamp in your passport 😶

Also stamping out by a land crossing has no 'fine waived under 24 hour" rule so you will pay 500 if you stamp out a day late

overstay under 24 hours no fine1.jpg

Edited by Tod-Daniels
  • Like 3

On 6/6/2022 at 9:21 PM, astro said:

From first hand experience, it is the date and time of departure which counts, not the moment one shows up at passport control.

One doesn't actually leave Thailand before departure.

And if the plane is running an hour or so late, how will the IO know what time you 'left' Thailand?

On 6/6/2022 at 1:24 PM, Tolltecz said:

Same thing happened to me on my first visit 20 years ago, but it was a day over, the immigration pulled me aside and explained I had overstayed, and stamped that into my passport, Next visit was 6 months later, no issues.

Just don't make a habit of it.👍