News Forum - Phuket hopes to attract Saudi and Australian tourists

Thaiger

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

your opinions themselves are naïve and staggeringly  ignorant. An apologist for a Stone Age, murderous culture, riven with human rights abuse's, does not make pretty reading.   

But at least my opinions are based on 1st hand experience over a long time of the people and the culture. 

I'm guessing yours aren't ....😝😝

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

No, but the 9/11 , 3,000 dead did and that was Saudi culture  inspired , undertaken by Saudi Nationals, under the leadership of Bin Laden, a Saudi National. 

That was not Saudi culture. It was an extreme terrorist act carried out by a few people. 

You think the OBL is reflective of the whole country!? That's hilarious.

😆😆😆

You're sounding like a bigot. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

ou think the OBL is reflective of the whole country!?

Most of it, yes. absolutely. Why, because their Holy Book tells them to act that way. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Most of it, yes. absolutely. Why, because their Holy Book tells them to act that way. 

Firstly, the suggestion that the Koran tells people to go out and commit terrorist acts is just plain silly. I feel sorry for you if you really believe that. 

And even if it WAS true, as I clearly said in a previous post, not every Saudi out of the 35 million living there is a devout Muslim. Why do you think they are?

Many just go through the motions as it's expected of them, and many couldn't care less. So why would someone not that bothered about religion go out and blow themselves up. 

There are more holes in your reasoning than a block of Swiss cheese ...😝

You're just embarrassing yourself with your bigotry and ignorance. 

Keep it coming though....👍🏻

I'll ask again. How many Saudis have you actually met? How many years did you spend there? Or even in the Middle East? 

Or have you just spent too much time watching wierd videos on t'internet? 😆😆

4 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Firstly, the suggestion that the Koran tells people to go out and commit terrorist acts is just plain silly. I feel sorry for you if you really believe that. 

And even if it WAS true, as I clearly said in a previous post, not every Saudi out of the 35 million living there is a devout Muslim. Why do you think they are?

Many just go through the motions as it's expected of them, and many couldn't care less. So why would someone not that bothered about religion go out and blow themselves up. 

There are more holes in your reasoning than a block of Swiss cheese ...😝

You're just embarrassing yourself with your bigotry and ignorance. 

Keep it coming though....👍🏻

I'll ask again. How many Saudis have you actually met? How many years did you spend there? Or even in the Middle East? 

Or have you just spent too much time watching wierd videos on t'internet? 😆😆

As I was taught in my 24 years in the UK Military, 'know your enemy'.  I know mine and I know the enemies of all right thinking, freedom loving, democratic, equal opportunity  individuals. I also know the hand ringers, the appeasers, the compromisers, the self justifiers.  They are as dangerous as the prime enemies.  I will leave it at that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

As I was taught in my 24 years in the UK Military, 'know your enemy'.  I know mine and I know the enemies of all right thinking, freedom loving, democratic, equal opportunity  individuals. I also know the hand ringers, the appeasers, the compromisers, the self justifiers.  They are as dangerous as the prime enemies.  I will leave it at that. 

Is you ex sas? 

Keep it coming Walter...😆

5 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That was not Saudi culture. It was an extreme terrorist act carried out by a few people. 

😆😆😆

Just look at the hatred and bigotry preached in their madrasas, especially by the predominant wahhabist ferals. Direct link between them and OBL, and just a little deeper and you have the upper echelons of the Saud royals.  No... no terrorist bent there at all...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

😆😆😆

OK so why are a few individuals from a Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Sheikh of indeed any other religion NOT carrying out terrorist atrocities?   

It is not bigoted to point out facts. ONLY one religion appears to hate everyone else to the extent they will kill them for no reason other than they are from a different cast.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Viggen8408 said:

Just look at the hatred and bigotry preached in their madrasas, especially by the predominant wahhabist ferals. Direct link between them and OBL, and just a little deeper and you have the upper echelons of the Saud royals.  No... no terrorist bent there at all...

You're way out of touch with present day reality. 

Firstly, yes, there have been issues with what has been said in "some" mosques in the past. And I'm being Saudi specific here.

There have also been many instances of mosques around the world sending out bad messages that are completely unconnected to Saudi in any  way whatsoever, but people like to think there's some kind of worldwide Muslim conspiracy going on. 

Secondly, your comments re the house Al Saud are completely wrong. MBS himself has cracked down on the clerics etc as he's introduced many reforms inside Saudi to modernise the society. 

Women driving, no more Muttawa AKA "The religious police, more relaxed dress code etc. I'm based in a very conservative central region of Saudi and have been for a long time. When I 1st arrived I could go a couple of months and not see a woman's face, now there are women walking down the road abayas flapping open, long hair blowing in the wind, wearing make up. Not everyone granted but even so. It's there, and it's happening. 

All of this is a direct result of the current royal leadership. Does that sound like someone who follows OBL. MBS himself said that he wished to see a return to a form of moderate Islam that they used to have before the Iranian revolution. 

Thirdly, why do people condemn a whole country based on the actions of a tiny minority? 

As I said previously, many people just go through the motions re the religion, and many couldn't care less. Why do you think they're all 'out to get us?"

And again, just as I asked another poster, how much time have you spent in the Middle East? (Hint: stopover in Dubai or Doha doesn't count), and how many Saudis have your actually met! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

18 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

OK so why are a few individuals from a Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Sheikh of indeed any other religion NOT carrying out terrorist atrocities?   

It is not bigoted to point out facts. ONLY one religion appears to hate everyone else to the extent they will kill them for no reason other than they are from a different cast.

That's not the point. I was referring to the post above which states that most of the people in Saudi are following OBL. That's not a fact. It's complete rubbish

And that my friend is completely bigoted. 

Furthermore, the problem is not the religion. It's a very small minority's misinterpretation of the religion that has been the problem for whatever reason. 

Most people just want to have a nice job, house, family car etc. That's pretty universal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

But they are!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That's not the point. I was referring to the post above which states that most of the people in Saudi are following OBL. That's not a fact. It's complete rubbish

And that my friend is completely bigoted. 

Furthermore, the problem is not the religion. It's a very small minority's misinterpretation of the religion that has been the problem for whatever reason. 

Most people just want to have a nice job, house, family car etc. That's pretty universal. 

It is the point. Not all Muslims are terrorists but it seems all terrorists are Muslim. 

If other religious groups were behaving the same way then their religious leaders would be condemning it but for some reason very few Imams do so.

Tell me something. Where does the funding for these groups come from?

• Like 5

Well you cant deny that where ever 2 groups have problem one of them is always muslim look in many country even here its always the muslim that have problem with everybody else so this mean everbody else is wrong?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

And THAT, my friend, is the failing in your argument. If the majority of Saudis want a peaceful life, it is up to them to ensure the feral rags are brought in line. This happens absolutely NOWHERE in the world they have infested.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:57 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

😆😆😆

Your hilarious. How many Saudis have you personally met who go around "preaching violent and racist stuff"

You're just being ridiculous here. 

Where do you get this kind of stuff from?!

Saudis are very peaceful and friendly people. A lot more welcoming then in Thailand in many ways.

They're not walking round all day being violent, racist, etc. 

Are you okay??

Try spending less time on t'internet, and more time getting to know real people who actually exist. 

Are these the same Arabs that don't allow their wives to walk hand in hand with them in public, Or once they pile out of Swampy airport they flounce out to their waiting limo with their wive's behind them humping all their cases out?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Is you ex sas? 

Keep it coming Walter...😆

I guess what he does not realise for some reason is that the country he was in the army for is an ally of Saudi Arabia, the ones in power that is, the ones who are making those horrible laws and commit atrocities like in Yemen etc.., and not the common Saudi citizens that are saudis cause they were born there and simply wish to have a normal life as every common human being on this planet. I guess that is what you tried to explain, right?

• Like 1

Having just flown from Perth to Phuket it is obvious there is no easy route here except via Singapore. Even then none of the airlines have convenient transit times. Getting direct flights might be one solution. Getting the airlines that fly from Phuket to Singapore to adjust their flight times is another solution.

Working with the airlines to advertise Phuket is open and the Covid rules have mostly been removed would be another solution. The constant changing of the rules makes it hard for travelers to be certain they may not be able to enter.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

You're way out of touch with present day reality. 

Firstly, yes, there have been issues with what has been said in "some" mosques in the past. And I'm being Saudi specific here.

There have also been many instances of mosques around the world sending out bad messages that are completely unconnected to Saudi in any  way whatsoever, but people like to think there's some kind of worldwide Muslim conspiracy going on. 

Secondly, your comments re the house Al Saud are completely wrong. MBS himself has cracked down on the clerics etc as he's introduced many reforms inside Saudi to modernise the society. 

Women driving, no more Muttawa AKA "The religious police, more relaxed dress code etc. I'm based in a very conservative central region of Saudi and have been for a long time. When I 1st arrived I could go a couple of months and not see a woman's face, now there are women walking down the road abayas flapping open, long hair blowing in the wind, wearing make up. Not everyone granted but even so. It's there, and it's happening. 

All of this is a direct result of the current royal leadership. Does that sound like someone who follows OBL. MBS himself said that he wished to see a return to a form of moderate Islam that they used to have before the Iranian revolution. 

Thirdly, why do people condemn a whole country based on the actions of a tiny minority? 

As I said previously, many people just go through the motions re the religion, and many couldn't care less. Why do you think they're all 'out to get us?"

And again, just as I asked another poster, how much time have you spent in the Middle East? (Hint: stopover in Dubai or Doha doesn't count), and how many Saudis have your actually met! 

This is a great example of a polarised debate. It’s a topic which draws emotions from both sides of the debate or divide.

Like everyone else, I know I have some bias to my thinking and I’m sure some of that bias I’m unaware of. The only point I wish to make, is when it comes to the question of the actions of a country or it’s leadership and the people. I tend not to ask - “Are the people responsible for the actions of a minority few in a country?”  I tend to ask - “If not the people of that country, then who?”  Who are the people best places to bring about change? Who are the people with the highest chance of success? Who are the people best placed to show support by lack of action against those doing wrong? Who are the people best placed to understand the nuances of the situation within the country? Who are the people, on balance, most likely to be held responsible by the rest of the world for the actions of their leaders? 

I have to conclude that the answer to all of the above questions are the citizens of that country. Not the single individual who runs the corner shop. Not the guy who cuts your hair. Not your neighbour who invited you to his daughters wedding. But the collective whole of the people. It simply can not be anyone else in my opinion. 

This is why I hold the Russian people responsible for the actions of Putin. It’s why I hold Saudi Arabia responsible for the actions of 9/11 and the killing of Jamal Khashoggi. It’s why I hold the people in Myanmar responsible for the Rohingya massacres. If not the people of the country then who? None of the above actions were carried out by one crazed gunman. The people, over time, with an attitude of ignorance, selfishness and laziness have allowed these tyrants to grow and develop and get to the positions they are in to create these problems. 

Are all Muslims terrorists? No, but it seems all terrorists are Muslims. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

This is a great example of a polarised debate. It’s a topic which draws emotions from both sides of the debate or divide.

Like everyone else, I know I have some bias to my thinking and I’m sure some of that bias I’m unaware of. The only point I wish to make, is when it comes to the question of the actions of a country or it’s leadership and the people. I tend not to ask - “Are the people responsible for the actions of a minority few in a country?”  I tend to ask - “If not the people of that country, then who?”  Who are the people best places to bring about change? Who are the people with the highest chance of success? Who are the people best placed to show support by lack of action against those doing wrong? Who are the people best placed to understand the nuances of the situation within the country? Who are the people, on balance, most likely to be held responsible by the rest of the world for the actions of their leaders? 

I have to conclude that the answer to all of the above questions are the citizens of that country. Not the single individual who runs the corner shop. Not the guy who cuts your hair. Not your neighbour who invited you to his daughters wedding. But the collective whole of the people. It simply can not be anyone else in my opinion. 

This is why I hold the Russian people responsible for the actions of Putin. It’s why I hold Saudi Arabia responsible for the actions of 9/11 and the killing of Jamal Khashoggi. It’s why I hold the people in Myanmar responsible for the Rohingya massacres. If not the people of the country then who? None of the above actions were carried out by one crazed gunman. The people, over time, with an attitude of ignorance, selfishness and laziness have allowed these tyrants to grow and develop and get to the positions they are in to create these problems. 

Are all Muslims terrorists? No, but it seems all terrorists are Muslims. 

My views exactly, and written with more sensitivity and elegance than I could muster. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Prosaap said:

Well you cant deny that where ever 2 groups have problem one of them is always muslim look in many country even here its always the muslim that have problem with everybody else so this mean everbody else is wrong?

It’s the same in my country. Over the decades and indeed centuries, the U.K. has always had large immigration. This then accelerated in the 1950’s onwards. Today we have significant numbers of people from all over the world with many families 3rd and 4th generations. It seems the ones who are most disenfranchised and unhappy with their lot in the U.K, is the Muslim community. The Hindus and Sikhs don’t have these issues. The Jews and the Buddhists don’t have these problems.  Why is this? What are they told, taught or subjected to that’s in anyway different to other minority cultures in the country?  What is it they don’t like that offends too much. If living in a predominately Christian and liberal Western democracy offends so much that you want it kill, then perhaps it’s time to move somewhere more suited.

I’m often asked that if I don’t like Thailand and complain about it then why don’t I leave for somewhere else. However, Thailand can just be a little frustrating at times. I don’t dislike it to the point where I want to kill people. If ever I got even close to that point I would leave. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, Tim_Melb said:

Although there is a definite interest in Phuket from international travel starved Australians right now, according to the local news in Australia large numbers of Australians have allowed their passports to expire or get so close to expiration during the pandemic that they can't travel. There is now a huge rush in renewals and a resulting delay in processing. The result is that it currently takes 3-6 months to get a new passport in Oz and a minimum of 3 months for a renewal. Many planned holidays and bookings are being cancelled as a result. So good luck with those plans but don't expect Australians in any numbers until closer to Christmas. 

All my aussie mates and rellies are waiting for the masks to go first!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Prosaap said:

Which planet would that be on? 😅 It's simply untrue.

Norther Ireland, Sri Lanka, Basque region, east Ukraine... just a few examples.

But don't let reality get in the way of demonising the entirety of all Muslims.... 🤢