News Forum - “Cases could reach 10,000 a day again”. Thai Public Health Minister.

Thaiger

3 hours ago, Viggen840 said:

It is all about power. Perhaps things would be different if there was a democratically-elected GOVERNMENT and not a JUNTA pretending to be one.

Notice how Chadchart said he’d look at Bangkok’s mask mandate after Phuket announced ending theirs. Well that didn’t please the powers at be and notice how quick they made him reverse his order. 

8 hours ago, palooka said:

Think this is the Govt back pedalling on endemic, they need the pandemic decree till next election.

Then they'll miracously get themselves into power again, and the decree will become permanent. Or like the emergency decree in the south, originally enacted during Thaksin's rule and now extended for the 68th time for another 3 months, this Covid decree could go the same way and carried over, regardless of who is in power.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Viggen8408 said:

Anutin is a farang hater. The majority of people who will use bars and entertainment venues are farang. If the word gets out that Thailand is open for business, more farang will return to their favourite overseas destination, and expansion will be telling their friends to come (again).

This doesn't suit Noo, who would prefer to see the country denuded of all farang at the expense of the billions of baht they generate and the employment relating to them

Anutin is a racist, but farang aren't flocking to Thailand with absurd mask rules and the Thailand Pass. They want to experience Thailand the way it was in 2019 or earlier. Unless those days return, they're not coming.

A lot of Indians are though, but I think even they will give Thailand a miss once they find out how strict the rules are. India for instance, ended mandatory masking back at the beginning of April. This includes indoors. Meanwhile, Thailand can't even manage to get one province to end masking on beaches!! I know how ridiculous that sounds, because who wears a mask on a beach, but officially it's mandated.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

This man is really switched on, considering he has no more brains than a Kipper has tits, evidence for my statement:

Opens his mouth and the wind just blows his tongue about. ( All these possible 10000 infections will no doubt be due to dirty foreigners) The new target market, Saudi, India will love that!

Remember songkran where they predicted up to 100,000 cases a day. This pie in the sky stuff is laughable. 

• Like 2

1 in 7,500 of the population is good going and the majority of those will be asymptomatic or just have mild symptoms.

Edited by Nick

Well written Tim Newton, not much to add to what you write. The emergency decree is enabling Anutin and Prayuth to run the  country as dictators. The best way to control simple, uneducated people is by fear. This has been going on for 2 years and the thinking process has stopped entirely for most Thais.  I for one live on Phuket and everywhere has been open in Patong for months now. No mask wearing, drinking, speaking loud and very close contact between the visitors of the nighttime entertainment venues. A simple look at the new covid cases at less than 20 per day should be 'proof enough' that the whole thing is a farce and only serves to give the powers that be total power.

5 hours ago, Giltee said:

Remember songkran where they predicted up to 100,000 cases a day. This pie in the sky stuff is laughable. 

A racist with an engineering background in charge of health. Yeah that makes sense 

Looks like State of Emergency and Thailand Pass are here to stay but not International Tourism very sad state of affairs.

The photo clearly shows what’s going on. 
The minister “thinks “ it’s very important to protect peoples health from the pandemic by justifying wearing masks . It’s so dangerous, another 100,000 cases a day !

yet there he is in a crush of people not wearing his mask to cover his face.

So obviously it’s not dangerous and mask wearing doesn’t make any difference otherwise he would have been wearing his !
It’s all about control through fear .

Mao was good at that but in a more brutal way 

News Forum - “Cases could reach 10,000 a day again”

Is that Singha, Heineken, tiger and San Miguel combined? Would be nice to get back to normal.

On 6/4/2022 at 7:59 AM, Soidog said:

I have to admire your honesty. I have many associations with Thailand, both financially and emotionally. Thailand was a regular long term stay for my wife and I for many years until she passed away.

I still spend at least 6 months of each year in Thailand and thoroughly  enjoy my time. This is partly due to the knowledge that in 6-8 weeks I will return to one of my homes in the U.K. or Holland. Whenever anyone asks me about Thailand with a view to making it their permanent and ONLY home in the world, my reply is short and simple - DONT! 

I know there are many many people who are entirely at ease with the permanent life in Thailand and I personally know many such people. For me however, it generates too many occasions where the lack of common sense or logic or outright stupidity makes me booking my flight home. At some stage, as I reach retirement age, I will need to decide where to lay my old hat. If things continue on the trajectory Thailand has been on for the past 10 years, then it won’t be Thailand. In recent months I’ve been looking at options in Southern Italy, Cyprus and Greece. When I reach 65 or 70, I’m sure I won’t want the hedonistic nights in Thailand and a few beers with friends in the warm weather will be sufficient for me. All of the places in Europe are also a lot more welcoming of long stay foreigners. Speak far better English and only 4 hours max from my kids and wider family. 

Sorry to hear about your wife.

I have just reached retirement age (last month) and my plan is to keep the properties in England, use the property in Phuket to stay for most of the year but keep connections here for a few months a year.

I don't feel I have the need to hang my hat in any one place as getting on a plane between England and Thailand is an easy thing to do.

It is like a cycle sometimes, in the past I arrived in Thailand, it was great, then after six months I felt like a change, I went back to England and went through the same cycle there.

I suppose eventually we will all have to return to the UK at some point when we are 'old-old' due to healthcare.

Or maybe we will be lucky and just 'pop our clogs' which will solves the situation when it arrives. 😄

22 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Sorry to hear about your wife.

I have just reached retirement age (last month) and my plan is to keep the properties in England, use the property in Phuket to stay for most of the year but keep connections here for a few months a year.

I don't feel I have the need to hang my hat in any one place as getting on a plane between England and Thailand is an easy thing to do.

It is like a cycle sometimes, in the past I arrived in Thailand, it was great, then after six months I felt like a change, I went back to England and went through the same cycle there.

I suppose eventually we will all have to return to the UK at some point when we are 'old-old' due to healthcare.

Or maybe we will be lucky and just 'pop our clogs' which will solves the situation when it arrives. 😄

Thank you. It’s some years ago now and all part of life I suppose.

what you describe is pretty much what I do. I spend 6-8 months each year in Thailand and the rest in either the U.K. and to a much lesser extent now, in Holland. I like to flit between the locations as each has its positives and negatives. At some stage travel long haul will become more exhausting and I don’t imagine I’ll look forward to a 20 hour journey should I be lucky to reach 85+ 😂😂

• Haha 1