News Forum - Phuket governor reverses decision easing mask-wearing

Thaiger

9 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Tell that to Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore,  who will retain masks indefinitely. It is far from inevitable that masks here will be optional any time soon.  

Key thing is ,in Hong Kong at least, everybody, as far as I know, doesn't really care. They just accept it for what it is. They dont have whining tourists see?😃

12 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Tell that to Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore,  who will retain masks indefinitely. It is far from inevitable that masks here will be optional any time soon.  

Singapore doesn't require masks outdoors or in offices and will relax the rest this year. 

The other two, I won't comment on. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rc1 said:

Singapore doesn't require masks outdoors or in offices and will relax the rest this year. 

The other two, I won't comment on. 

Go nd see for yourself in Singapore.  The wearing of masks is almost 100%. 

45 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Key thing is ,in Hong Kong at least, everybody, as far as I know, doesn't really care. They just accept it for what it is. They dont have whining tourists see?😃

Being mindlessly compliant with no critical thought is nothing to brag about. What was more dangerous for Manny Pacquiao - getting sparked out cold by Juan Manuel Marquez or a coronavirus? 

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Yep and guess who will be first fined ???

Seeing triple question marks is a bit nauseating, but I'll reply anyway as I do have a partial guess.

My guess is that if there are fines, they will be addressed to owners of establishments (possibly after a warning), not individuals. Fining a local has no spreading effect, and fining a tourist is akin to shooting oneself in the foot.

The only exception is when an individual is involved in some fracas, after which he/she may get the book thrown at them.

I can't foresee which scenario (if any) will come first.

Edited by Chatogaster
involved is --> is involved in
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tigermask said:
  1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Or allow village idiots out unsupervised

Well, I am of the opinion masks don't work, especially outside, unless you are wearing an N95.  99% of the masks people wear, the flimsy paper ones, do nothing to stop the spread since they are not form fitting and science has proven they are ineffective.  But what really makes me laugh is when I see someone driving alone in their own car with the windows up and a mask on.  Dude (or dudette), ya think COVID is flying around in your car like a mosquito?  You don't need a mask on outdoors.  The Thai govt.  needs to lighten up and stop the outdoor masks.  If you want to personally wear one, that's fine.  And now the govt. has Monkeypox to help keep the tourists away when if you have a headache, sore throat or sore back from flying in coach for 18 hours or more and you are stupid enough to say yes on the form, you get sent right off to a hospital for who knows how long at your expense.  So now I am waiting for the Monkeypox insurance requirement to be added to the COVID insurance requirement.  I am sure the govt will claim the decrease in COVID infections is because everyone is wearing a mask!!!  Makes me wonder what they will come up with next.  Goodbye many tourists who don't want to take a chance of being sent to a hospital for Monkeypox observation!!

• Like 2

Bottom line is that so many street vendors and shop vendors still have a lot of masks for sale.  If the public buys those masks up then the government will ease restrictions. 

Not political it is economics! 

Got to give more time to allow the vendors to sell the thousands of masks that they have purchased for resale, so get out there and buy them people !!  5555

Edited by ExpatPattaya
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jerm138 said:

'm fascinated at how intensely Thais follow and enforce Covid rules, but completely ignore virtually anything else that's dangerous (or most any other rule at all).

• Riding a motorcycle with 4 children or a stack of tires... sure, why not?
  • Cigarettes... burn 'em if you got 'em!
  • Traffic deaths... doesn't matter, speed up anyway.
  • Crosswalks... who wants to walk an extra 20 meters, just run!
  • Seat belts in cabs... non-existent.
  • Seat belts in private vehicles... unused.
  • Black smoke belching out of buses... that's just how it is.

But if you're outside and you take off your mask because it's hot and there's nobody within 10 meters of you, people look at you as if you're waving a gun around. Unless you have a cup in your hand. Then it's ok. Somehow.

Best comment I've read on this site ever.  It really is fascinating when you think about it because it makes no sense.

• Like 2

For most of my life every year I would be hit with a severe cold or influenza, man flu.

But since wearing a mask when out for the last 2 years I haven`t contracted a cold or flu.

I will probably still wear a mask even if Covid ends, they do have their benefits and actually I`ve become used to these masks, no big deal.

After being married to the same woman for decades, my wife has become sick of looking at my face and prefers me with a mask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. Spineless jumped the gun and flapped his trap. He should have never taken his head out of someone’s pie hole. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, perceblue said:

For most of my life every year I would be hit with a severe cold or influenza, man flu.

But since wearing a mask when out for the last 2 years I haven`t contracted a cold or flu.

I will probably still wear a mask even if Covid ends, they do have their benefits and actually I`ve become used to these masks, no big deal.

After being married to the same woman for decades, my wife has become sick of looking at my face and prefers me with a mask.

Typical old farang comment

You did not catched a flu equates that your immune system was not trained for two years. And you are even proud of it. Sad that people like you are so common here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HighSo said:

You did not catched a flu equates that your immune system was not trained for two years. And you are even proud of it. Sad that people like you are so common here.

Exactly. I only wear a mask when forced, don't use hand sanitizer (kills good bacteria too) and haven't been sick in years. I'm not an animal.. when my hands are dirty, I wash them. My immune system is in good shape due to being used. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HighSo said:

He’s also missing the point that the whole world has been locked down and hence all virus have been held back. It’s nothing to do with the mask and all to do with restrictions we have all had to endure. Now he thinks masks are the answer to staying healthy. Beyond words really 

4B828527-B218-4D6B-AACF-70E6E716D727.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, perceblue said:

I have pratically never worn a mask the past 2 years, I have had man flu, dengue and covid. No big deal either and I can always breathe properly. What does not kill you makes you stronger.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, perceblue said:

Where do you even begin with that. What a tragic life you must have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, rc1 said:

Oh, no, not great at all. Bangkok was keen to follow this immediately, will we see open defiance from the provinces? 

How long is it going to take for some common sense to be applied here? 

Did you say common sense?

16 hours ago, rc1 said:

A sad day in Phuket. Hopefully the next flip flop goes back the right way soon.

Taking the masks off is inevitable, won't be too long now. 

🤣🤣🤣

The Phuket Governor was likely shown the latest info on masks before his first decision! 

In my opinion, of all the lies that has been spread by interested parties, the efficiency of the mask must be the biggest one. There are many available studies that have proven the masks to be useless to prevent spreading or catching a virus. Especially having to wear it over longer period of time, like school children had to do, is actually harmful.

Read this as an example.

https://emilyburns.substack.com/p/case-rates-for-masked-and-un-masked?s=r  

Whilst being a US study, the figures actually show a higher probability to catch covid when wearing a mask. Schools mandating such a policy in the US can be found here https://about.burbio.com/school-mask-policies-by-state/.

This besides the fact that the billions of masks are adding to the already unsurmountable waste mountains in the world, including Thailand. But the rulers that be like their subjects to be masked up as a symbol of their subservience.

The whole covid history has become more of a religion then anything to do with a genuine health crisis.

Piles of disposed masks creating environmental disaster.jpg

Edited by Smithydog
Revised URL added

22 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Bottom line is that so many street vendors and shop vendors still have a lot of masks for sale.  If the public buys those masks up then the government will ease restrictions. 

Not political it is economics! 

Got to give more time to allow the vendors to sell the thousands of masks that they have purchased for resale, so get out there and buy them people !!  5555

It is political but I seriously doubt that buying a few masks will result in the mandate easing. There are mask factories that are ready to churn out the muzzles for years to come.

8 hours ago, Donald said:

The Phuket Governor was likely shown the latest info on masks before his first decision! 

In my opinion, of all the lies that has been spread by interested parties, the efficiency of the mask must be the biggest one. There are many available studies that have proven the masks to be useless to prevent spreading or catching a virus. Especially having to wear it over longer period of time, like school children had to do, is actually harmful.

Read this as an example.

https://emilyburns.substack.com/p/case-rates-for-masked-and-un-masked?s=r  

Whilst being a US study, the figures actually show a higher probability to catch covid when wearing a mask. Schools mandating such a policy in the US can be found here https://about.burbio.com/school-mask-policies-by-state/.

This besides the fact that the billions of masks are adding to the already unsurmountable waste mountains in the world, including Thailand. But the rulers that be like their subjects to be masked up as a symbol of their subservience.

The whole covid history has become more of a religion then anything to do with a genuine health crisis.

Piles of disposed masks creating environmental disaster.jpg

Well said.

Which is why they'll never allow Thais the freedom to ditch the muzzles. These mandates will continue indefinitely.

22 hours ago, Naja said:

Well, I am of the opinion masks don't work, especially outside, unless you are wearing an N95.  99% of the masks people wear, the flimsy paper ones, do nothing to stop the spread since they are not form fitting and science has proven they are ineffective.  But what really makes me laugh is when I see someone driving alone in their own car with the windows up and a mask on.  Dude (or dudette), ya think COVID is flying around in your car like a mosquito?  You don't need a mask on outdoors.  The Thai govt.  needs to lighten up and stop the outdoor masks.  If you want to personally wear one, that's fine.  And now the govt. has Monkeypox to help keep the tourists away when if you have a headache, sore throat or sore back from flying in coach for 18 hours or more and you are stupid enough to say yes on the form, you get sent right off to a hospital for who knows how long at your expense.  So now I am waiting for the Monkeypox insurance requirement to be added to the COVID insurance requirement.  I am sure the govt will claim the decrease in COVID infections is because everyone is wearing a mask!!!  Makes me wonder what they will come up with next.  Goodbye many tourists who don't want to take a chance of being sent to a hospital for Monkeypox observation!!

The government probably believes there is no point in relaxing the mask mandate when it will soon be needed again for monkeypox.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:53 PM, rc1 said:

A sad day in Phuket. Hopefully the next flip flop goes back the right way soon.

Taking the masks off is inevitable, won't be too long now. 

Doubtful. Mask wearing has become the new state religion of Thailand, uniting all Thais including babies, who are initiated into this cult from as young as a month or two (no joke).

I honestly believe mask wearing will be permanent in Thailand. I think at some point they might no longer insist on it outdoors, but it will always be required indoors.