News Forum - Is Thailand famous for coffee and is Thai coffee good?

Thaiger

PRESS RELEASE  Thailand now ranks in the top 15 coffee exporters of coffee in the world. Thai coffee was never really known, but in recent years, international recognition for Thai coffee has rapidly increased. And this time, Thailand isn’t just known for Robusta coffee beans but also Arábica coffee beans. To date, Thailand still exports very little coffee as most of the coffee is consumed within the country, making it very hard to source, especially in bulk amounts. What’s most interesting is that Thailand offers one of the rare origins of coffee where there is a sustainable coffee ecosystem. As […]

The story Is Thailand famous for coffee and is Thai coffee good? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There is only one Thai coffee I'm aware of. The beans are fed to elephants who poop them out then the excreted beans are used to make the coffee. I'll give that beverage a big "pass" and the pun is fully intended.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

There is only one Thai coffee I'm aware of. The beans are fed to elephants who poop them out then the excreted beans are used to make the coffee. I'll give that beverage a big "pass" and the pun is fully intended.

That’s why I hear people asking for “ coffee khrap “ !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Maybe you mistake it with the indonesian kopi luwak (which is, by the way, really, really good).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

Maybe you mistake it with the indonesian kopi luwak (which is, by the way, really, really good).

and really expensive. 

Villages in the far north grow coffee, among the Mong people, and it is excellent. I have not be bale to find any further south but no doubt you can get it somewhere. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

And vey expensive!

35 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

and really expensive. 

Even MORE expensive when made in Thailand (see article just above).

1 hour ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Kopi luwak is peculiar for the animals being able to select the bean according to their characteristics, discarding the ones that are not pleasant, unriped, or defective. Yes, it's expensive due to the harvesting and manufacturing process, but not so expensive as people thinks, it's same price than any coffee taken at the table of any Venice's San Marco Square luxury bars.

Is there any proof these elephants are able to select the beans? From the article they are just fed with the beans and they act like natural fermentors only. Therefore there is not much guarantee over the selection, let alone their chewing action to degrade a part of the feeding. It sounds like a non-traditional, overpriced imitation of the indonesian concept.

I prefer my artisanal Mae Kampong local growth Arabica, I'll pass on it.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

No, no mistake. But yes, it started in Indonesia where they give beans to the civet cat, but now Thailand does the same with elephants.

I have yet to have a decent coffee in Thailand, maybe I am just looking on the wrong places (happy to take advice on where I can buy whole beans retail for the next time I am out there), or maybe it is my preference for strong dark roasts. Laos and Vietnam are both able to produce excellent coffees, so Thailand should be able to as well, I just haven't found any yet. Kopi Luwak is also produced in Vietnam - cà phê Chồn, weasel coffee - but having seen how it is produced, with the animals (the size of a large domestic cat) being confined to small cages during the harvesting period - I won't drink it. 

• Like 1

From what I have seen, coffee here in Thailand does not have to really be all that good... almost all coffee served is thinned down with milk or cream and sugar or sugar substitutes...  it's like ordering a top shelf alcohol variety and adding a mixer. 

Good coffee is served "black" to real coffee connoisseurs.