News Forum - Decriminalisation of cannabis in Thailand: Can I get high or not?

Thaiger

As “Ganja Day” approaches on June 9, Thailand’s Ministry of Health wants to be clear about one thing: Smoking cannabis recreationally is a criminal offence punishable by three months imprisonment. Cannabis smoke has been written into new legislation as a “public nuisance,” allowing anyone annoyed by the smell of cannabis smoke to report the culprit, who can go to prison for up to 3 months if found guilty. On June 9, all parts of cannabis and hemp plants – including leaves, barks, body, fibres, branches, roots, seeds and inflorescences – will be delisted as a Category 5 narcotic, essentially decriminalising […]

The story Decriminalisation of cannabis in Thailand: Can I get high or not? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Thanks 1

The best way I can describe this is that having cannabis is legal but smoking cannabis is not.

So if you were to use it in some cakes for example it would be OK. Or some tea. Or you could just swallow it. But the smoking part is the issue. Smoking is bad.

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The best way I can describe this is that having cannabis is legal but smoking cannabis is not.

So if you were to use it in some cakes for example it would be OK. Or some tea. Or you could just swallow it. But the smoking part is the issue. Smoking is bad.

The west took 30-40 years for people to understand that yes. Smoking is bad.🙂

44 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

With hope this will stop being a bad dream. Buds over alcohol beverages is a better way. And at the least not taking anything away from those who choose to continue to consume alcohol. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Are you speaking of smoking cigarettes Please clarify

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AmbientMopar said:

Are you speaking of smoking cigarettes Please clarify

Yes, Im making a pun joke👍

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Thaidup said:

Smoking Bad AR 15's good.

• Haha 2

why is it when the government (not just this one) is moving in the right direction (cannabis legalization) it inches forward but when its doing something evil/wrong it is able to move quickly.

Just legalize it and be done with it 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I will take that as a win then.

The topic is about Marijuana use, My comment was about how smoking has been proven to be unhealthy, It was a light pun joke on the term "smoking" a term commonly used by those that indulge in marijuana usage.

If you have a problem with me than it may be a better position for you to simply ignore my posts or put me on block, I will not take any offense.

Here is a 40 year study on Marijuana smoking, to provide some context.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23846283/

• Cool 1

12 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

why is it when the government (not just this one) is moving in the right direction (cannabis legalization) it inches forward but when its doing something evil/wrong it is able to move quickly.

Just legalize it and be done with it 

The issue becomes then, the cost of policing "high" people driving cars, bikes ,trucks and buses etc. the cost of testing etc, I think would be a major factor, remembering that Thailand only started booze testing of motorists in the last 5 years or so, Just an opinion, ok👍

5 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

The topic is about Marijuana use, My comment was about how smoking has been proven to be unhealthy, It was a light pun joke on the term "smoking" a term commonly used by those that indulge in marijuana usage.

If you have a problem with me than it may be a better position for you to simply ignore my posts or put me on block, I will not take any offense.

A pun? No it wasn't. It was you simply giving vent to your personal views over any form of smoking.

All I did was point out the hypocrisy of your person beliefs. 

Happy to help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

The issue becomes then, the cost of policing "high" people driving cars, bikes ,trucks and buses etc. the cost of testing etc, I think would be a major factor, remembering that Thailand only started booze testing of motorists in the last 5 years or so, Just an opinion, ok👍

Do you seriously believe there haven't been any "high" people driving (or working jobs) without legalisation? 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, astro said:

Do you seriously believe there haven't been any "high" people driving (or working jobs) without legalisation? 😂

No, Then I ask, that Bus driver from BKK to Phuket, Do you want him tested for legal drugs every now and again? They don't even test them for alcohol, and can you imagine a "high" bus driver going through the esses, woohoo.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

I will take that as a win then.

is posting ones opinion a competition here???  what did you "win"...and why are AR-15s "good"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

is posting ones opinion a competition here???  what did you "win"...and why are AR-15s "good"?

Perhaps you could read my post again?

If they legalized smoking weed WITH >0.2% THC, then that would probably solve much of the speeding problem on the roads and therefore decrease the death rate from accidents. Unless of course those drivers started getting hit from behind by the people who weren’t smoking 😂🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

This is how it was in Las Vegas before moving to Thailand. Yet you could smoke inside your home or front & backyards. Now lounges are opening up for tokeing. ...  California was a much different animal. Lets get to Legalized puffing here here in The Land of Smiles... Also make that proposed rule/law of if you smell Cannabis and don't like the smell call 5'0  to report  someone. Fore many can and will be caught up in the cross fires leading to many being falsely accused.

2 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Thaidup not a problem. Speak your chosen choice of words....

27 minutes ago, AmbientMopar said:

This is how it was in Las Vegas before moving to Thailand. Yet you could smoke inside your home or front & backyards. Now lounges are opening up for tokeing. ...  California was a much different animal. Lets get to Legalized puffing here here in The Land of Smiles... Also make that proposed rule/law of if you smell Cannabis and don't like the smell call 5'0  to report  someone. Fore many can and will be caught up in the cross fires leading to many being falsely accused.

But you can't smoke fags in a pub? And the smell is very distintive, LOL, 5.0 would be be stoned just from the fumes.

5 hours ago, Thaidup said:

No, Then I ask, that Bus driver from BKK to Phuket, Do you want him tested for legal drugs every now and again? They don't even test them for alcohol, and can you imagine a "high" bus driver going through the esses, woohoo.

Not sure what you are trying to say.

Driving while "high" should be illegal just as driving drunk is, if that answers whatever concern is on your mind. Just had a smoke or what's up?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thaidup said:

At least they are finally getting it... still not happening here!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Many things are unhealthy, it does not make them illegal. And most of these things are when you use them in excess, including marijuana. If you smoke a joint once in a while, it is literally harmless unless you have mental issues in the first place. Smoke all day long for many years, and it is very probable that you get into trouble. That works the same way than all the other unhealthy things in excess, coffee, junk food, processed food, sodas, etc... etc... Using this argument to either legalise or not marijuana is hypocrotical... a political argument basically. Not to mention that being illegal means that marijuana is manufactured by criminals that mix it up with all sorts of chemicals to make people more addictive, higher, etc... Legalise it and this can be controlled. And it would be huge revenues for governements, revenues that can be used for many good things (in an ideal World)...like tools to prevent all sorts of addictions.