News Forum - Thai police and organisations award people money for videos of traffic violators

Thaiger

As part of a road safety campaign, Royal Thai Police collaborated with several organisations and companies to award people with money for video clips of traffic violations. During the “7 Dangerous Days” of Thailand’s Songkran holiday, when the number of road deaths usually spikes, drivers took dashboard videos of other drivers violating traffic laws. The winners earned prizes from 2,000-20,000 baht. Royal Thai Police, Viriyah Insurance, Don’t Drive Drunk Foundation, JS100 Radio, and FM91 Radio, awarded a total of 120,000 baht for more than 20 video clips. RTP also awarded the winners with certificates. Police chief General Damrongsak Kittiprapas said… “The […]

The story Thai police and organisations award people money for videos of traffic violators as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

They should crack down on the traffic at pedestrian crossings, when the lights go green for pedestrians to cross the traffic just goes around crossing in front and behind especially the motorbikes.

• Thanks 2

You put a video then he file a complane to you and you go to jail like the guy that put a pic from a car that was on a handycap parking they geting dumber and dumber left hand has no idea what right hand do 

• Like 5

Think this will die quickly with the new PDPA law. Ok if you photo/video unless it is of one of the elite, then you are in "it" up to your eyeballs.

• Like 4

I wonder if they will give a reward to people who shop themselves by posting videos of their own lawbreaking on social media?🤔

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Smiler said:

They should crack down on the traffic at pedestrian crossings, when the lights go green for pedestrians to cross the traffic just goes around crossing in front and behind especially the motorbikes.

Anyone here riding a motorcycle, rides it as if they didn't pass their driving test, so they just did the motorcycle test. 

Wow, indicator lights? That must mean which way you allow me to pass🤪

Almost killed a significant amount of people who passed me on the left while I was turning left. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, palooka said:

Think this will die quickly with the new PDPA law. Ok if you photo/video unless it is of one of the elite, then you are in "it" up to your eyeballs.

I would like to applaud the police for taking this new initiative, but I share your concerns. On first appearance, it does seem to offer new opportunities for defamation claims.

If the program protects the identities of those offering such evidence under some sort of "whistleblowers" immunity, then this may allay such fears. But it is hard to not see this having potential for "cash for claims" style of arguments.

• Like 1

Brother in law is a cop. He just bought a second dash cam. I laughed and told the wife to wait for his emails with footage of people violating traffic laws and instructions on how to collect the reward. She said “He wouldn‘t do that!” and immediately checked her email. 

• Like 1

Being a matter of public safety, such dashcam video, after provided to the police, will then fall under section 4 of the PDPA, therefore nothing to worry about.

Nothing will happen. To enforce the already very good traffic laws would bring the economy to a standstill.

No one in the back or on top  of lorries/pickups? No one gets to work. No kids on motorbikes? No one goes to school. Etc etc.

The road carnage is a way of life here and accepted as such.

• Like 1

"Management by results is like trying to drive via looking out the rear view mirror" - W.E Deming.

Such a shame the narrative is full of errors. "During the “7 Dangerous Days” of Thailand’s Songkran holiday, when the number of road deaths usually spikes" - no they do not, the average is over the whole year with many other days exceeding the daily counts of the Songkran festival. The only reason there used to be peaks was that over the holiday many more people travelled home and there was a history of major coach accidents with multiple fatalities. But after improving coach standards there are few such events these days, with the gap being filled by an increase in two wheeled fatalities.

Confusing safety with compliance leads to confrontations and moral authority in a system that already has issues with cast and status.
This will only make the situation worse.
But instead of helping people to be safer the zero vision diatribe is rolled out that only demonstrates a system so blinkered by blame and confrontation it refuses to learn and help people to be safer.

“I will not look at another’s bowl intent on finding fault: a training to be observed.” The Buddha

#RoadSafety #Thailand

I agree with catching these law breakers!

But what are the Police doing ?

Drinking Coffee in the station?

While the public are now doing their job , photographing law breakers?