News Forum - British man who murdered and chopped up Thai woman to be sentenced tomorrow

Thaiger

On 5/30/2022 at 4:35 PM, HankWolfy74 said:

A murder should result in the murderer facing death! To let him live is an injustice that should be corrected!

BUT please don't make him do any work while he is a prisoner... it's inhumane and incarceration should be enough of a punishment... NOT!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fanta said:

He will do more than 8 years in prison. He will do a minimum of 8 years in a Thai prison before he will be eligible, not entitled to, a transfer to a UK prison. His Thai sentence will be transferred with him to the UK and he must serve 2/3 of that sentence less the 8 years already served before he will be considered eligible for parole. It is part of the prisoner transfer agreement between countries. 

Aw shucks... he is so downtrodden... after all he just killed a human being once... give him a break

4 minutes ago, Skip said:

Aw shucks... he is so downtrodden... after all he just killed a human being once... give him a break

So go take it up with the people that make the laws and approve the prisoner transfer agreements. Or go and demand the prosecution appeal the sentence.  Or waste your tears and rage fruitlessly on the Internet. You will probably gnash your teeth in frustration to learn that the murderer was sentenced yesterday. His effective sentence is 8 years less time served and then he will be deported as a free “man”. He paid 12.5 million baht to the family to secure leniency. TiT. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

It is also a fact that all the people convicted and had the death penalty carried out and were then subsequently found to be innocent could not be brought back to life.

I am not saying this guy is innocent.

It is a fact that many people who admitted to murder had not actually committed the murder.

Plus I am sure that a life long sentence in a Thai prison is far worse than instant painless death.

Yes there has been innocent people convicted and sentenced to death, but surely this is the fault of corrupt police officers and incompetent judges, there is a legal term that states "beyond all reasonable doubt" and that is exactly what it should mean. We cannot (but do) put the rest of society at risk because of the way the judicial system is run. 

"The government says it does all it can to protect the public from offenders "but sadly risk can never be eliminated entirely"."

The above is a quote from the home office which I disagree with, as far as I know a corpse has never reoffended but we all know many murderers who have been released and have gone on to kill again. Is, or even can a murderer be rehabilitated, is it worth the risk to society in general. And I'm pretty sure you may change your stance on this issue if one of your siblings or close relations were murdered by these reoffenders. 

You say "Plus I am sure that a life long sentence in a Thai prison is far worse than instant painless death." Well as Fanta says he won't be spending the rest of his life in a Thai prison, he will be transfered back to the UK to spend time in a facility that resembles a Butlins holiday camp at the tax payers expense, pfft, justice my giddy aunt. 

8 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Just wondering, If this case was in reverse? Thai wife hacks up English husband.?

Death if committed by a Thai, as Looker is a multi-millionaire many baht has already changed hands. In Thailand, money speaks louder than justice. 

Edited by AussieBaz
incorrect spelling
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Fanta said:

He will do more than 8 years in prison. He will do a minimum of 8 years in a Thai prison before he will be eligible, not entitled to, a transfer to a UK prison. His Thai sentence will be transferred with him to the UK and he must serve 2/3 of that sentence less the 8 years already served before he will be considered eligible for parole. It is part of the prisoner transfer agreement between countries. 

The Thai Court sentenced him to 8 years. After he does his 8 years wouldn't he then be released having done his time unless they release him to the UK earlier? 

12 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The Thai Court sentenced him to 8 years. After he does his 8 years wouldn't he then be released having done his time unless they release him to the UK earlier? 

My assumption on his transfer prospects was based on him receiving life. He will be deported as a free man after serving 8 years in custody so 5 years to go. Murder, interfering with a corpse, disposal of a corpse - shocking that he got so low a sentence if he was actually charged with all 3 crimes. The 12.5 million baht compensation payment plus probably quite a few more million for “legal help” certainly reduced his sentence.

• Like 1

8 years seems very light for such a horrific crime. I thought Thailand was much tougher on crime than this. There was a similar case in New Zealand (where I am from) where a woman, Grace Millane, was murdered and stuffed into a suitcase and the body dumped. That man was convicted and must serve a minimum of 17 years but will most likely spend longer. The only difference was that the woman was a tourist and the murderer was a local. 

I think Thailand needs to send a stronger message on this and while I don't agree with the death penalty I he spending the rest of his days in prison is more appropriate. 

• Like 2

Eight years is a joke,, Admited I don't know all the details but on the face of it there is no real Justice.. Ok also fine but does he have that amount of wealth? Crazy... 

15 minutes ago, Jannot said:

Ok also fine but does he have that amount of wealth? Crazy... 

AFAIK, the compensation must be paid before the sentence is handed down. No money and this guy would have gotten a life sentence. 

You can get more than 8 years for drug possession for personal use

The sentence is a joke proving that you can indeed buy your way out of a long prison sentence

Disgracefull

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PRC said:

You can get more than 8 years for drug possession for personal use

The sentence is a joke proving that you can indeed buy your way out of a long prison sentence

Disgracefull

Or have the right connections look at the cop that killed the doctor in the cross walk with a motorcycle 

2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Or have the right connections look at the cop that killed the doctor in the cross walk with a motorcycle 

How many ‘connections’ do you think that low life had ? Connections come at a price and he doesn’t strike me as a king pin! 

I’ve witnessed some horrific things in my time and I thought I was pretty unshockable but that sentence was a big shock.

Everyone assumes everyone can be bought here and to some extent you’ll be right - but judges ? No farang is buying them. 

Absolute joke of a sentence - he’ll be skipping round his cesspit cell at that news. 

8 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Yes there has been innocent people convicted and sentenced to death, but surely this is the fault of corrupt police officers and incompetent judges, there is a legal term that states "beyond all reasonable doubt" and that is exactly what it should mean. We cannot (but do) put the rest of society at risk because of the way the judicial system is run. 

"The government says it does all it can to protect the public from offenders "but sadly risk can never be eliminated entirely"."

The above is a quote from the home office which I disagree with, as far as I know a corpse has never reoffended but we all know many murderers who have been released and have gone on to kill again. Is, or even can a murderer be rehabilitated, is it worth the risk to society in general. And I'm pretty sure you may change your stance on this issue if one of your siblings or close relations were murdered by these reoffenders. 

You say "Plus I am sure that a life long sentence in a Thai prison is far worse than instant painless death." Well as Fanta says he won't be spending the rest of his life in a Thai prison, he will be transfered back to the UK to spend time in a facility that resembles a Butlins holiday camp at the tax payers expense, pfft, justice my giddy aunt. 

So what you’re saying is HUNDREDS of innocent people executed is a price worth paying ?

so talking of siblings, if it was your family member that was executed when you were sat at home with them watching telly, but convicted according to an inept jury/ judge etc that would still be ok right ? 

4 hours ago, Fanta said:

AFAIK, the compensation must be paid before the sentence is handed down. No money and this guy would have gotten a life sentence. 

Let alone that the monetary compensation is 12.5 million baht (10.5 to the mother and 2 to the daughter), plus a 5% yearly interest calculated from 2014. That translates into 19.4 million baht for 2022...

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So what you’re saying is HUNDREDS of innocent people executed is a price worth paying ?

so talking of siblings, if it was your family member that was executed when you were sat at home with them watching telly, but convicted according to an inept jury/ judge etc that would still be ok right ? 

What I am saying is what I have already said in my post, I tried to make it easy for all to understand, looks like I missed one.😃

2 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

What I am saying is what I have already said in my post, I tried to make it easy for all to understand, looks like I missed one.😃

Maybe try harder as you’re talking to adults 

You implied people against the death penalty would feel different about the death penalty if one if their siblings was murdered so I simply (or so I thought) asked you if you would still agree with it if your sibling was one of the hundreds facing execution before new evidence freed them, but subsequently taken to the electric chair. Just hard luck ? a price worth paying ? 

Yes or No will do 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Maybe try harder as you’re talking to adults 

You implied people against the death penalty would feel different about the death penalty if one if their siblings was murdered so I simply (or so I thought) asked you if you would still agree with it if your sibling was one of the hundreds facing execution before new evidence freed them, but subsequently taken to the electric chair. Just hard luck ? a price worth paying ? 

Yes or No will do 

I certainly wouldn't class you as an adult benroon, you come across as a nosey neighbour, most threads you hate it if someone isn't living their life as you would have them live it, I could elaborate but that would be going off topic. 

And this is my last post to you as I will now block you, you love pompously arguing, well you won't get it here I'm afraid, and out of decency my answer is 'Yes', have I won?😘

4 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

I certainly wouldn't class you as an adult benroon, you come across as a nosey neighbour, most threads you hate it if someone isn't living their life as you would have them live it, I could elaborate but that would be going off topic. 

And this is my last post to you as I will now block you, you love pompously arguing, well you won't get it here I'm afraid, and out of decency my answer is 'Yes', have I won?😘

So picture the scene - listen up bruv, I know we sat down last week on my couch watching a rerun of The Sound of Music munching Maltese’s squealing at Maria’s dilemmas but apparently someone that is the spitting image of you chainsawed someone to death outside WH Smith’s and you’re going to be executed on Saturday! Want me to bring anything before you go ? 

Yeah I think you’ve won 🙄

9 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Block me ? Purlease, how old are you ? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

A murderer should be sentenced to life which should be his/her natural life, that would stop them reaffending.

Death sentence no, the justice system is needed but it is not infallible so no death sentence for the reasons I stated previously, you can not bring and innocent dead person back to life but you can release them and compensate them for the error. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JamesR said:

A murderer should be sentenced to life which should be his/her natural life, that would stop them reaffending.

Death sentence no, the justice system is needed but it is not infallible so no death sentence for the reasons I stated previously, you can not bring and innocent dead person back to life but you can release them and compensate them for the error. 

Whilst I agree with all you've put I would offer a death sentence for murder to the murderer.

Ie I kill someone and it was definitely me. Plead guilty and sentenced to life without parole. Give me an option of the electric chair or do the life without parole?

I think 30 years in a cell or end it now. I'll end it 

It'll save loads of money but can't see it happening