Musicians explain how they made the song.

Thaidup

Not the first one ive seen, but these clips may be useful to songwriters and other up and coming musicians.

Only fair to put Gilmour's story up after Roger.

What sticks out to me is when he said 'I listened to someone who didnt know what he was talking about"

• Like 1

A tale from Rick Wakeman on how he made £10:00 back in 1971. In fact he didn't get paid till 2006 when Yusuf returned to the music industry, and paid him out if his own pocket, addressing the Record Company cock-up.

And the completed result...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Only fair to put Gilmour's story up after Roger.

What sticks out to me is when he said 'I listened to someone who didnt know what he was talking about"

Ah, does pay to listen to the video, as subliminally thought it was Roger he was referring to, which from your previous posting would be my thought!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Time!

Was expecting RW to talk about “Time”, but he’s banging on about Another Brick in the Wall. Still interesting though 😎

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 6:52 PM, BigHewer said:

Was expecting RW to talk about “Time”, but he’s banging on about Another Brick in the Wall. Still interesting though 😎

Agree, the musicians of that time see to bang on about "stuff", Just remembering what the interviews on tv where like.

• Cool 1

Mike Oldfield and Richard Branson reminiscing on both their successes due to Tubular Bells.

If you've got a hour to spare, then grab a brew / drink, as highly recommend this BBC 4 documentry from 2013.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WrightT said:

If you've got a hour to spare, then grab a brew / drink, as highly recommend this BBC 4 documentry from 2013.

Maybe the best interview of a musician i have seen, down to earth honest blokes telling it how it was, none of them are pretentious or proud, the story about his Mom brought a tear because I can relate, I never really liked the album, weird because I have never listened to it,it was just there everywhere you went was a tubular bells album, Well worth the hour, would be a good civics lesson for our younger generations to watch how people behaved back then and turn out now too, just be honest and don't leed people on because you don't want to hurt their feelings. A really good post, thankyou .👍

• Like 1

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for posting this. I had the honour and privilege of supporting Noddy Holder that day!

In that after their set he came front of stage to mingle with the crowd.

As Jim said, they totally blew everyone away. The vibe before hand was why are Slade playing Reading, it's a Heavy Metal / Hard Rock gig. Reason was, Ozzy Osbourne pulled out, so Jack Barrie ( Manager of the Marquee Club at the time) phoned round and Chas Chandler ( Slades Manager), said the boys were free.

They came on stage to a barage of flying cans, but within minutes had the crowd on their side and completely won over. Most people, me included, didn't realise we all knew words and were all joining in to one of the best ever audience sing-a-longs.

Due to the last minute booking,  Slade had no road crew, so the band had to lug their stage gear themselves.

As I said earlier, Noddy came up front, some what the worst for wear, as he had mostly consumed a bottle of Tequila, and was staggering around and bumping into people left right and center. Got him and his tequila back to his dressing room. Doubt he remembers a thing.

Brummies, salt of the earth.

• Like 1

Cant remember what year but an act pulled out Reading Slade had never played for a while but someone asked them to play the story went they absolutely smashed it and blew everyone away. I've seen most top bands around from Hawkwind to Fleetwood Mac but for me prob the best live band was in my home town and went to see The Sweet they could rock no fancy effect pedals u tube Hell Raiser live you will see how heavy they were in the 70s.  

• Like 1

Very difficult to find full reals of video uploaded to YT, but here is about one minute of Jim Morrison talking about how The Doors created new songs.

• Like 1

Those two guitarists are trying not to show it, but they're just in awe.

Arguably one their best songs, in that it captures the essence of the band and their individual talents that become rock folklore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, whyuthinktoomut said:

Arguably one their best songs, in that it captures the essence of the band and their individual talents that become rock folklore. 

The first 3 cords of the song,play it anywhere I will know it, do do do, do do, do do.👍 Is my favorite LZ song👍

• Like 1

Tony Banks of Genesis discussing how organic collaborative jamming leads to some great songs. Also interesting how working titles whilst in a songs embryonic stage show musical influences. Made me dig out some of my old Hawkwind albums!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WrightT said:

Made me dig out some of my old Hawkwind albums!

That's the idea of the threads WT,👍 A friggin mouse got under my Diatran turntable and chewed through the headshell wiring.🥲

Who would have believed the late great Lemmy would sing the best song and most recognized hit by Hawkwind.  Silver Machine. When asked about the idea of the song lemmy said we tried all the vocalists but they were crap so i had to sing it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, whyuthinktoomut said:

Thank you for posting this. My two favorite guitarists jamming on one of my all-time favorite songs.

• Like 1

Expanding on the Jimmy Page posting. Not so much a cover, but an example of sampling.

Puff Daddy sampled Kashmir for his '98 hit "Come with me". He had the respect from Jimmy, as can be seen in this clip.

• Like 1