News Forum - Passengers missing after boat capsizes off Indonesian island

Thaiger

A motorboat capsized off Indonesia’s Sulawesi island after leaving the island on Thursday night. The boat was reported missing the next day when it didn’t show up at its destination, according to local media. The South Sulawesi search and rescue agency chief Djunaidi confirmed today that the boat has sunk in the search area. Of the 43 people who were on board, the agency says 26 are now missing. Djunaidi said 17 passengers were picked up by tugboats. Authorities suspect the accident was caused by a fuel shortage and stormy seas. Indonesia’s weather agency had warned on Thursday of waves […]

The story Passengers missing after boat capsizes off Indonesian island as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 hours ago, palooka said:

Obviously ignore boating and weather report warnings.

I don't know which vessel was involved however the vast majority of ferries are old and poorly maintained.  IMO the 'run short of fuel' may be better interpreted as 'engine stopped'.  In moderate sea conditions a high sided vessel might turn parallel to swells causing furniture, freight and pax to move to the leeward side which then causes a capsize.

Weather may have played a factor in the disaster though unlikely to be the primary cause.  An unnecessarily sad loss off like.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I don't know which vessel was involved

The motorboat was the KM Ladang Pertiwi.

• Thanks 1

km_ladang_perwiti_hilang_kontak_70c1fd29

KM Ladang Pertiwi lost contact after departing from Paotere Makassar Port to Kalmas Pamantuang Island, Pangkep Regency, South Sulawesi.

Quoted from the editor , the ship departed from Paotere Harbor at 17.00 local time.

KM Ladang Pertiwi I carried a load of basic necessities and materials, as well as about 40 passengers.

"That on May 27, 2022, at 17.00 local time (local time), the Ladang Pertiwi I Motor Ship departing from Paotere Harbor, headed for Kalmas Island," reads an announcement from Basarnas.

The head of the Liukang Kalmas police, AKP Rusli, said that KM Ladang Pertiwi I experienced an engine failure in the middle of the journey.

Not only that, the ship also ran out of fuel until it stopped in the middle of the ocean.

Unfortunately, the ship was hit by the waves until it capsized and sank.

"The Ladang Pertiwi ship suffered an engine failure and ran out of fuel, then was hit by an overturned wave and sank," said Rusli, Saturday (28/5/2022), quoted from the editorial.

It is known, the location of the sinking of KM Ladang Pertiwi I is about 10 to 12 hours drive from Makassar.

Most of the passengers have been found safe.

Meanwhile, several other passengers are still being searched.

"The ship is estimated to carry 40 passengers. Thank God, most of the passengers have been found safe," said Rusli.

SOURCE: https://kuatbaca.com/terbaru/kronologi-km-ladang-pertiwi-i-hilang-kontak-kehabisan-bensin-lalu-dihantam-ombak-hingga-tenggelam-16537251432817-231163

Engine failure AND ran out of fuel sounds like a fuel filter blockage could have been the cause.  Diesel fuel in the tropics suffers from an algae which grows in the condensation water at bottom of tanks and is stirred up by the motion of rough seas.