Multiple Bangkok hospitals stop Covid testing, citing fear of insufficient beds

Thaiger

Multiple hospitals in the Bangkok area have stopped doing PCR swab tests for Covid-19. Their rationale is that if some test comes back positive, there won’t be beds for the patients. Other hospitals have “scaled down” the swab tests because their staff is too busy, says Dr Suppachok Kirdlarp. Dr Thiravat Hemachudha, head of the Thai Red Cross Emerging Infectious Diseases Health Science Centre, says that Chulalongkorn Hospital has stopped doing Covid swab tests for 4 days starting today. Dr Thiravat cites the lack of beds for potentially infected people. The doctor goes on to say that patients are still coming […]

The post Multiple Bangkok hospitals stop Covid testing, citing fear of insufficient beds appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Another 'charity' doctor looking for publicity and the Thaiger obliges. Pathetic. The American vaccines arent coming. Understand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Dr Thiravat Hemachudha, head of the Thai Red Cross Emerging Infectious Diseases Health Science Centre, says that Chulalongkorn Hospital has stopped doing Covid swab tests for 4 days starting today.

What, because of a bed shortage, he'll temporarily abandon the key Covid infection count? That simply beggars belief.

• Angry 1

Maybe it wasn't a great idea to admit everyone tested positive in the hospital right away, instead of self isolation. Simply put, i live alone, if i tested positive, i should self isolate and if symptoms will not escalate, there is no reason to be admitted. Save hospital beds for those who need medical attention. No? Sorry... 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

I have been pondering this as well. And in countries where you get sick leave and can manage no problem, but I sort of wonder that maybe it is required in Thailand and similar places without a social safety net.

But of course if stop testing because you don't have beds, you might as well do something different. Especially if it prevents ill people from tests and treatmeant

i also suspect that stopping testing will make infection numbers look really good

• Cool 1

Well were they putting people in hospital who were asymptomatic, who did not know they were ill, who could work?

If so no wonder they are running out of beds.

There seems to have been a Thai ambition to find patients. This satisfies the Thai mentality of authority and control.

Witness what requirements they impose for fully vaccinated tourist to visit Phuket. Ridiculous!

5 hours ago, King Cotton said:

What, because of a bed shortage, he'll temporarily abandon the key Covid infection count? That simply beggars belief.

Where do you get that from?

He's got no responsibility for "the key Covid infection count".  He's just making an expert, informed observation that the count is unlikely to be accurate.

Perhaps only test people who are clearly ill with a respiratory infection?  

The western "relief $$$" to fill the gov't troughs isn't coming, got it?

5 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Maybe it wasn't a great idea to admit everyone tested positive in the hospital right away, instead of self isolation.

"Everyone tested positive" isn't admitted right away - only those who are symptomatic, while those who are asymptomatic are quarantined in field hospitals now.

They were only all admitted to hospitals when there were far fewer cases, two or three months ago.

The problem is that while many of those targeted and told to go to government testing centres will be negative, far more of those going to hospitals for testing of their own volition, untargeted, are likely to be doing so because they're symptomatic, so they'll have to be hospitalised.

2 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

Well were they putting people in hospital who were asymptomatic, who did not know they were ill, who could work?

Not for the last two or three months since the numbers went up, no.

4 hours ago, Tjampman said:

I sort of wonder that maybe it is required in Thailand and similar places

State quarantine, whether in hospitals, field hospitals, hotels, hospitels, or military barracks, is a mandatory requirement in all countries that have kept their case numbers down, including in the West.

• Cool 1

5 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Maybe it wasn't a great idea to admit everyone tested positive in the hospital right away, instead of self isolation. Simply put, i live alone, if i tested positive, i should self isolate and if symptoms will not escalate, there is no reason to be admitted. Save hospital beds for those who need medical attention. No? Sorry... 

In my country people who had to self quarantine didn't do so. They still went out, went to the supermarket.

What self quarantine?  What does the government think?  I need food, so I have to go to the supermarket. That is how people think, at least in my home country. Self quarantine simply doesn't work.

The most important part is at the end of the article:

Dr Suppachok further questions Sinovac’s efficacy. He wonders why some countries that used Sinovac still had to reimpose lockdown measures. Also, why hasn’t research work done on the vaccine been revealed.

He pointed out that the U.S. has brought new infections down to the thousands from as much as 200,000 cases after Pfizer and Moderna were used to innoculate people.

I am wondering what this will mean for Thailand reopening in the next months. It seems they mainly rely on the Chinese crap.

Unbelievable, Is this how they will control the numbers in Phuket's Sandbox as well. Doing less tests to maintain opening? I wonder...

1 hour ago, Terryw said:

Unbelievable, Is this how they will control the numbers in Phuket's Sandbox as well. Doing less tests to maintain opening? I wonder...

Yes, it makes me wonder, for sure.

Hello, Terryw and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

"Everyone tested positive" isn't admitted right away - only those who are symptomatic, while those who are asymptomatic are quarantined in field hospitals now.

They were only all admitted to hospitals when there were far fewer cases, two or three months ago.

The problem is that while many of those targeted and told to go to government testing centres will be negative, far more of those going to hospitals for testing of their own volition, untargeted, are likely to be doing so because they're symptomatic, so they'll have to be hospitalised.

Not for the last two or three months since the numbers went up, no.

State quarantine, whether in hospitals, field hospitals, hotels, hospitels, or military barracks, is a mandatory requirement in all countries that have kept their case numbers down, including in the West.

You have a lot of opinion Mr Stoker. Will you supply facts to prove them?

48 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

You have a lot of opinion Mr Stoker. Will you supply facts to prove them?

Apart from the suggestion that "The problem is that while many of those targeted and told to go to government testing centres will be negative, far more of those going to hospitals for testing of their own volition, untargeted, are likely to be doing so because they're symptomatic, so they'll have to be hospitalised" those  are "facts", all easily verifiable.

Maybe you should re-read the TT guidelines - just my "opinion" as the "report" button seems to have disappeared.

Edited by Stonker
typo
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Tjampman said:

In the west, at least where I live, there is zero organized isolation. If you test positive you are required to self isolate in your home.

Agreed 100%, @Tjampman.  That's probably one of the reasons why so very, very few Western countries have "kept their case numbers down" while those that have, have.

1 hour ago, Tjampman said:

There has been similar cases here, but it is deemed rare as most people are actually honest and descent.

That's a bit of a  damning indictment of the UK - the estimate there, by SAGE (the UK's scientific advisory group of experts) was that 80% of those who were supposed to self-quarantine failed to do so.  As @dimitri observed "self quarantine simply doesn't work".

• Cool 1

22 hours ago, Stonker said:

Apart from the suggestion that "The problem is that while many of those targeted and told to go to government testing centres will be negative, far more of those going to hospitals for testing of their own volition, untargeted, are likely to be doing so because they're symptomatic, so they'll have to be hospitalised" those  are "facts", all easily verifiable.

Maybe you should re-read the TT guidelines - just my "opinion" as the "report" button seems to have disappeared.

I have been warned not to be argumentative, Therefore I will let others judge your post and form their own opinions.

• Like 1