Multi entry visas, general questions and best options

Hi,

A question about the best types of multiple entry visa's for Thailand. I live in Perth Australia and at the end of the year I plan to work in Australia for 1 week then fly to Thailand for 2 weeks to visit my partner and then fly back to Australia 1 week, then back to Thailand for 2 weeks etc etc. Obviously I'm going to be coming and going quite a lot! I'll be doing this from November through to April (High season), basically 6 months of the year. The other 6 months will mostly be split between  Bali and Australia.

I'm just wondering what the best options are for visas are or if anyone has had any experiences? I'm not 50 so a retirement visa isn't an option.

As far as I can work out my options are;

• Visa exempt 30 days. This is apparently unlimited if flying into Thailand however apparently you get flagged at 6 entries..Anyone done this or any advice?
  • Tourist visa 6 months duration multiple entries. Apparently unlimited entries to Thailand (if anyone can confirm), costs $300 but worth it i think. Only question is can you apply for more then 1 every year? Probably wouldn't need to, maybe I could just do a couple of trip Visa exempt if needed.
  • Elite visa - 5 years unlimited entry but 600,000baht!
  • Maybe a 1 year marriage visa multiple entry sometime in the future, but not now.

If anyone has any comments experiences or suggestions about these options or others I'd be very interested!

Cheers

Edited by Travelo
spelling mistakes

4 minutes ago, Travelo said:

Under 50, 48 years old

Then your options are limited until 50, or get married.
The Thai Embassy in Canberra don't offer the METV you mentioned above, only the SETV.

When aged 50 the Non Imm O ME Visa based on retirement may be worth considering.
https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-a-for-retirement-long-stay-valid-for-1-year/

If married, a number of options available.

Are you sure about it not being offered 6 month METV...? https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/visa-fee/

The form Still has an option of METV fro $300

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/1Update-lastest-Visa-Application.pdf

I was a little confused on the site as well, I'd like confirmation of this if anyone has it.

image.png.d2dbceb6d71d4f480bee51499f329029.png

The METV was suspended by many Thai Embassies due to being unworkable when local borders closed. The STV was introduced as a temporary replacement.

Plans may be in the wings to reintroduce it in the near future.
Contact the Embassy for confirmation.

Yeh, I looked at the link before but the application still has the options for 6 months if you look at the pdf which is  weird.. maybe they haven't bothered to update the form

Other embassies like in the US still have the option. https://thaiembdc.org/visas/#

I have emailed the embassy to get this clarified.

image.png.a037f9f13c9eca197c0575a0853eba54.png

Depending on Country, the Thai Embassies can offer different Visa types.
You cannot quote the Visa options available from a Country where you're not applying.

A number of Countries now have to use the E-Visa online application site such as China, US, UK, Canada and France, where the Visas options are the same. https://www.thaievisa.go.th/
Australia does not yet use this online service.

The Non Imm O ME Visa you mentioned is no longer offered under the E-Visa online application, yet it is still offered by the Thai Embassy, Canberra. The METV would be ideal for the plan you suggest, if you can get it.

Failing that, I have a further suggestion.

Hi, ok yes i understand you can't quote other countries but Australia is an equivalent of the EU or US you would think as an advanced economy and this visa was offered before. Anyway, i find that a little strange.

I posted <elsewhere> and was advised The 30 day visa exempt apparently isn't a problem, even if you get stopped, as you can prove you are working in Australia and have sufficient funds. There is no official limit to entries according to this visa. Not ideal but doable by the sounds of things.

I'd be happy to hear your other suggestions if you have any.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Travelo said:

I'd be happy to hear your other suggestions if you have any.

If the METV is not available, apply for the SETV, which will grant a stay of 60 days and can be extended for a further 30 days. You can separately purchase either single or multiple re-entry permits both for the TV and the extension, which will allow you to exit/re-enter as per your plan.

I posted <elsewhere> and was advised The 30 day visa exempt apparently isn't a problem, even if you get stopped, as you can prove you are working in Australia and have sufficient funds. There is no official limit to entries according to this visa. Not ideal but doable by the sounds of things.

Whilst there is no limit to VE entries by air in writing, the IO can refuse entry when he feels you have spent sufficient time in the Country as a Tourist. There is a far greater risk of being refused without a Visa than possessing one.

Hi, ok yes i understand you can't quote other countries but Australia is an equivalent of the EU or US you would think as an advanced economy and this visa was offered before. Anyway, i find that a little strange.

It has nothing to do with being a member of the EU as the requirements are regulated by Thailand's Ministry of Foreign affairs and the individual Thai Embassies.

Thanks for the info. How do you purchase multiple re-entry permits for STV?  Is that on the online form or done separate?

Also, just had confirmation from the Canberra  embassy staff via email the 6 month METV is available. I have forwarded this email onto a Local Thai travel agency who deal directly with the embassy and consulate staff to double check this is correct. I'll post here once he gets back to me and it is confirmed by their supervisors.

Appreciate your help and info, visas in Thailand are a maze..

49 minutes ago, Travelo said:

Thanks for the info. How do you purchase multiple re-entry permits for STV?  Is that on the online form or done separate?

First time you mentioned the STV, but it will probably be withdrawn in September now borders are reopening and the METV becomes workable again.

51 minutes ago, Travelo said:

Also, just had confirmation from the Canberra  embassy staff via email the 6 month METV is available.

I'm guessing they've just reintroduced it recently and not updated their website yet.
That solves your problem for a 6-month period.
The Visa is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. Each time you enter Thailand, you'll be granted a stay of up to 60 days, during the validity of the Visa. Even if you enter on the last day of its validity, you're still granted a 60-day stay.

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

First time you mentioned the STV, but it will probably be withdrawn in September now borders are reopening and the METV becomes workable again.

I thought that's what you were talking about  below, SETV multiple entry??? Or is this something else?

1 hour ago, Faz said:

If the METV is not available, apply for the SETV, which will grant a stay of 60 days and can be extended for a further 30 days. You can separately purchase either single or multiple re-entry permits both for the TV and the extension, which will allow you to exit/re-enter as per your plan.

Edited by Travelo
more info

SETV - Single entry Tourist Visa.
METV - Multiple entry Tourist Visa
STV - Special Tourist Visa (Only temporarily introduced when the METV became unworkable and was suspended).