If I test positive for covid when trying to depart, what then?

Hi friends, trying not to overthink things but feeling a little stressed about my return trip home. To come back to the states I need to have a negative covid test. In the event I turn up positive what can I do? I have been to Thailand many times and want to go many more and respect their Visa laws. I fear if I pop hot I will have no recourse and end up breaking their immigration laws and get a permanent boot from the land of smiles. Anyone have any info or resources I can read up on?

When are you scheduled to leave? You could go get or try to get a Covid extension before May 24 cut off date so would have zero worries. TT has an article about Covid extension cut off if you Google it or search it out. Other than that if you have no more days nearing your departure and become positive, maybe someone where you are in quarantine at can take your passport down to get an extension for you. 

1 hour ago, Edmond said:

Hi friends, trying not to overthink things but feeling a little stressed about my return trip home. To come back to the states I need to have a negative covid test. In the event I turn up positive what can I do? I have been to Thailand many times and want to go many more and respect their Visa laws. I fear if I pop hot I will have no recourse and end up breaking their immigration laws and get a permanent boot from the land of smiles. Anyone have any info or resources I can read up on?

When you're in doubt of getting positive before your departure date, you should isolate at least 5 days before your COVID-19 test especially going back to America. If that happens, you'll be spending more $$$$ including isolation or AQ Hotel, rescheduling your flight and overstaying your Visa through immigration. I doubt you have that Trip Interruption travel insurance. From what I heard from the news that, the U.S are talking about lifting the COVID test around June or July.

Edited by ace035

4 minutes ago, ace035 said:

When you're in doubt of getting positive before your departure date, you should isolate at least 5 days before your COVID-19 test especially going back to America. If that happens, you'll be spending more $$$$ including isolation or AQ Hotel, rescheduling your flight and overstaying your Visa through immigration. I doubt you have that Trip Interruption travel insurance. From what I heard from the news that, the U.S are talking about lifting the COVID test around June or July.

The US has what is called midterm (of President) elections in November for congress and governors etceteras. Lifting the covid entry test is a Presidential decision. There wont be any big decisions made before because it can be spun by republican opposition in any direction. There is also concern of a major new wave of deaths in the Fall/Winter.  Not much chance the inbound covid test will be dropped until 2023. All politics

Welcome to the forum, Edmond.

When are you planning to arrive in Thailand, and how long do you intend to stay?

TAT (Tourist Authority of Thailand) recommended travels take out Covid Insurance for a period of 10 days beyond their expected date of departure from Thailand for the very same reason you state your concern.
Should you test positive and require treatment, you'll be covered.
However, if you test positive but are asymptomatic, requiring 5 days isolation, but without treatment, then it's doubtful you'll be covered and will have to cover that cost yourself.

I am rolling out today. I am staying for 21 days and have my insurance coverage for one month. While would suck to have to shell out for a few days hotel, but I can recover from that. I am mainly concerned with issues that can arise with immigration. I want to make sure I comply as best I can so that I can return again.

If you are worried about a positive test in Thailand and then getting sent to a quarantine there is a way.

Don't go to US. Take a flight to a country with no entry test requirement  like UK or Ger-ma-nee.

Then take a test there to go back to US.

9 hours ago, Edmond said:

I am rolling out today. I am staying for 21 days and have my insurance coverage for one month. While would suck to have to shell out for a few days hotel, but I can recover from that. I am mainly concerned with issues that can arise with immigration. I want to make sure I comply as best I can so that I can return again.

I assume you'll be entering Visa exempt, in which case you'll be granted a stay of 30 days on entry.
Should you test positive and have to isolate for 5 days on top of your planned 21 day stay, you'd still be within your permission of stay period.

You could also apply for a further 30 day extension (1,900 BHT). In the case of being incapacitated or unable to apply yourself, another person can do it on your behalf.

You also have the option to apply for a 90-day extension on medical grounds if you're unable to travel.