News Forum - A piece of ceiling at Phuket airport falls, one passenger sent to hospital

Thaiger

An aluminium ‘bar’ from Phuket Airport’s domestic terminal ceiling has fallen to the floor, just avoiding hitting a female passenger standing nearby. No injuries were reported, but the woman was in shock and fainted. Ceiling structures at Thailand’s airports have suffered from ‘gravity’ over the past few weeks. Yesterday, at 11.20 am, officials at Phuket airport’s domestic terminal were notified that a female passenger was standing close the area where a piece of the roof fell, an aluminium bar falling from the ceiling. The woman was reported to be a Thai, waiting for her flight from Phuket to Bangkok. According […]

The story A piece of ceiling at Phuket airport falls, one passenger sent to hospital as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Now add this to the larger Don Meuang area section falling to the ground a couple of weeks ago, then one can believe these airports are dangerous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The officer suspected there could have been flooding on the roof, and it somehow seeped into the ceiling and weakened the structure (moist aluminium?).

One of the cables holding up the carrier grid probably broke loose. Since there should be a lot of redundancy (like the number of cables and clamps), this is either a very rare event, or some corners were cut in which case it's very likely to happen again. Let's hope the follow-up involves more than a repair man walking in with a ladder and a roll of duct tape.

1 hour ago, Prosaap said:

Suffered from gravity 5555 briljant there is no limit on how stupid they think we are 

It is unbelievable how many things (and even persons) suffer from gravity.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Strange wording for manila envelope cash backs

Not really, since plain incompetence is more likely (if it wasn't a freak incident). Commissions may be effective and common to be awarded a contract, but bribing independent quality inspectors to be temporarily afflicted by presbyopia would be a bit (too) risky for multiple reasons. My guess is that - in general - the greater problem is that there's simply not a great deal of attention to oversight and quality control, in combination with using un(der)qualified resources and inferior materials. To me, that's a simpler and more realistic explanation than blaming everything on the scape goat called "corruption" (that's just animal mistreatment, that is).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

To me, that's a simpler and more realistic explanation than blaming everything on the scape goat called "corruption"

All of the above is, imho, part of it.

They need to calculate cash backs into the offer for the contract, or they don't get it at all.

But still, they can't charge whatever they want. So there is a need of saving costs during construction, later.

And looking at other construction failures, there is no independent quality inspector in Thailand!

Rarely a company gets held responsible for the s..t they deliver. Looking at road construction (here in Phuket), despite that they failing often, to do  4lane road  extension on slopes right, they still get the repair contracts. And haven't had do do the repair as warranty work, instead the road is unrepaired for 1.5 years, till "there is budget" again.

Corruption is the biggest issue, for construction failures in Thailand. 

Imho!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Corruption is the biggest issue, for construction failures in Thailand. 

I’d go further and say it’s the biggest issue for ALL failures in ALL high corruption countries like Thailand 

• Like 2

I will weigh in again with my humble opinion that I have formed by watching my house being built... there is no pride or work ethic... couple that with the lack of skill to do a job correctly

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Prosaap said:

Suffered from gravity 5555 briljant there is no limit on how stupid they think we are 

Blame Covid, it's convenient to point the finger on the pandemic.

23 minutes ago, Skip said:

I will weigh in again with my humble opinion that I have formed by watching my house being built... there is no pride or work ethic... couple that with the lack of skill to do a job correctly

For my home I caught the worker team cutting corners to pocket money. No pride is actually translated to me as they could care less as long as they can get paid and suck money.