I’m going to die soon

Lumpy_Custard

5 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I too am 73.  Two years ago I lost my closest personal friend who had pancreatic cancer.  Despite facing certain death he remained happy.  When I asked him how he replied he had a great life, far better than most. 

For me, so long as I am healthy the fact that I have rounded third base and heading home really does not bother me.  I look forward to doing some traveling and candidly don't worry that one day like with everyone it will be my time to go. 

This day and age, 73 is still a vibrant age if you take care of yourself

And I do think living in a place like Thailand keeps you young.......

I am sure it is a weird feeling knowing you only have so many more years to live

But who knows, I am 50 and a 73 old could outlive me........we never know

I don't what age you start feeling different but I don't feel any different at 50 than I did at 35, if anything I feel better

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But who knows, I am 50 and a 73 old could outlive me........we never know

You are absolutely correct.  The fact is that as we age we believe that somehow illness will be what eventually takes us.  All one has to do is go out in Thailand each day on the roads to know that whether 8 or 80 that it takes just one mistep by others or yourself to end your life.  

A wise person once said they worry about things they can control not things they can't.  I can't do anything about my age, so worrying about it is expending needless energy that if anything the worrying hastens ones demise. 

6 hours ago, longwood50 said:

You are absolutely correct.  The fact is that as we age we believe that somehow illness will be what eventually takes us.  All one has to do is go out in Thailand each day on the roads to know that whether 8 or 80 that it takes just one mistep by others or yourself to end your life.  

A wise person once said they worry about things they can control not things they can't.  I can't do anything about my age, so worrying about it is expending needless energy that if anything the worrying hastens ones demise. 

I met an 82yr old guy in Phuket in June 

He looked around 55yrs old

I was blown away

Age is just a # and if you stay healthy, no reason not to live as you want to

And having a positive outlook like you seem to do is a big part of it 

I think it comes to everyone. I'm not yet 50 and yet occasionally when I have too much time to think I ponder the same thing. 

To be clear it's not the death that I'm worried about. As Ricky Gervais said you don't remember the millions of years before your birth so the years after your death will be the same. The cliche goes death comes for all of us and on a long enough timeline everything on this planet will seek to exist.

It is beyond comprehension almost to acknowledge that all you are, or were, all your thoughts, dreams, beliefs, and hopes will cease be no more. I get goosebumps sometimes and have trouble getting to sleep.

Fortunately as I said these morbid thoughts only come when I have too much time to ponder myself and my place in the universe. The solution? Be as active as you can. Fill your mind with other things. I know myself sometimes I feel those thoughts coming and usually distracting myself keeps them at bay.

Much in this life is amazing and unimaginable the gift is that you got to experience it. The price for that gift is the awareness of your own mortality.

Sorry if that does not help. Just to let you know I'm sure many others have these thoughts as well it must be natural. As long as you don't dwell on it to the point it effects the time you have left I am sure you will be fine. 

Soon is relative you might still have quite a while yet!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 2:33 PM, longwood50 said:

Exactly

Use your energy to enjoy the good things coming your way and push everything else aside.

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2022 at 8:00 PM, Lumpy_Custard said:

Well I’m going to be 73 years old soon , I suppose getting to this age is in some way a bonus and I should really count my lucky stars that I've made it his far without to many serious health issues or life changing upsets. 

The problem I’m now constantly having is that I can’t get the thought out of my mind that at my advanced age my time here on earth is running out. I've now become obsessed with checking out online obituaries just to see at what age other people passed away . When I see some one has passed away say at the age of 90 , seeing that fact some how gives me hope that I to could reach that same advanced age before I kick the bucket . Then I see that some one has passed away at my current age , and that makes me feel downhearted and depressed.☹️

I really wish I could come across an antidote that would shake me out of this age related dying obsession , but my over active mind just won’t let me forget that I’m now on the slippery slope leading to my cremation .

Just wondering if there may be any others here that like my self are in the later stages of life and may be having the same or similar   ‘’ I’m going to die soon ‘’   thoughts . And if so can you offer me guidance on how to cope with my obsession. 

Thanks.

Exercise and keep your muscle strength up and you will really extend your life. Don’t smoke or drink. No reason you can’t live into your 90s if you want to. 

• 6 months later...

I have just hit 51 and I have asked myself when my last days will be more often than I would like to admit. I do try to push that aside and go about my daily things for now and work towards a comfy retirement. I guess you may have ticked off the list of to-do and see things, maybe put something on the list again? Wishing all a great day ahead

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wolfee said:

I have just hit 51 and I have asked myself when my last days will be more often than I would like to admit. I do try to push that aside and go about my daily things for now and work towards a comfy retirement. I guess you may have ticked off the list of to-do and see things, maybe put something on the list again? Wishing all a great day ahead

Why would you think like that?

I'm 51yrs old, as well, and it's never crossed my mind

I do think how the next 30 years or so will go

Grandkids, retirement

But you are young, I wouldn't ever worry about your last days

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Why would you think like that?

I'm 51yrs old, as well, and it's never crossed my mind

I do think how the next 30 years or so will go

Grandkids, retirement

But you are young, I wouldn't ever worry about your last days

It may be due to work and hobbies. My work involves maintenance work in ICU and OTs in hospitals, During which I have witnessed people right about or had just crossed over. One of my hobbies is motorcycle travel, and in this circle, there are also people who have passed on a little too young. 

I guess I am at the stage where I have accepted depth comes to all and nothing much we can do about how or when. Just try to focus on happier things.