Best way to stay in thailand around 9 months

hi, 

im in thailand since ocotber 2021. currently on covid extension. i will leave thailand and go back to my home country at the end of june 2022.

i want to come back october 2022 so i will stay at least 3 months in my home country in between.

elite visa is not an option.

i thought id apply for a 6 months multiple entry tourist visa and stretch it to around 8 months and if i want to get to 9 months i just fly out the country and get back in by airplane getting another 30 days visa exemption (or will they deny my seeing i have been to TH for 8 months straight already?).

i see 2 problems with this plan:

on the evisa website it says "If you are applying for Multiple Entries, you need to prove that you have a genuine reason to visit Thailand on a regular basis."

they want bank statements of the last 6 months showing 5.000 € in cash as an example. ive invested almost all my money and could only show them around 200.000 THB in my wise account. i could also show them my invested  non cash. maybe this will not be a big problem though?

for the 1. problem what would be a genuine reason? my situation is like this:

im in my 30s and retired due to illness. i have a regular monthly income though and can also prove this. im just coming to thailand because i like it and it is convenient for me to live here. im basically a long term tourist. i have no interest in working here at all.

i thought maybe the 6 months tourist visa is not so easy to get so my second plan would be to get the 60 months tourist visa which i can extend to 90 days total. then fly out the country and fly back in on the visa exemption giving me 30 days + 30 days when i extend it. i would do this 3 times giving me in total 90 + 60 + 60 + 60 = 270 which is 9 months. i read somewhere that staying for 9 months in total per year would be ok when it is done like this.

would this be ok? i found this "Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing."

any other ideas?

15 minutes ago, marvel said:

i found this "Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing."

I think Visa Exempt entries are unlimited if entering by air. Twice overland is correct.

Your 90+60+60+60 plan is technically possible though it seems tedious... Entering Thailand 4 times, going to local immigration office 4 times... Unfortunately that seem the only way for you. Unless you marry a Thai... ha, ha

Maybe someone else have another idea...

1 hour ago, marvel said:

on the evisa website it says "If you are applying for Multiple Entries, you need to prove that you have a genuine reason to visit Thailand on a regular basis."

Which Country?

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2022 at 7:43 PM, marvel said:

hi, 

im in thailand since ocotber 2021. currently on covid extension. i will leave thailand and go back to my home country at the end of june 2022.

i want to come back october 2022 so i will stay at least 3 months in my home country in between.

elite visa is not an option.

i thought id apply for a 6 months multiple entry tourist visa and stretch it to around 8 months and if i want to get to 9 months i just fly out the country and get back in by airplane getting another 30 days visa exemption (or will they deny my seeing i have been to TH for 8 months straight already?).

i see 2 problems with this plan:

they want bank statements of the last 6 months showing 5.000 € in cash as an example. ive invested almost all my money and could only show them around 200.000 THB in my wise account. i could also show them my invested  non cash. maybe this will not be a big problem though?

for the 1. problem what would be a genuine reason? my situation is like this:

im in my 30s and retired due to illness. i have a regular monthly income though and can also prove this. im just coming to thailand because i like it and it is convenient for me to live here. im basically a long term tourist. i have no interest in working here at all.

i thought maybe the 6 months tourist visa is not so easy to get so my second plan would be to get the 60 months tourist visa which i can extend to 90 days total. then fly out the country and fly back in on the visa exemption giving me 30 days + 30 days when i extend it. i would do this 3 times giving me in total 90 + 60 + 60 + 60 = 270 which is 9 months. i read somewhere that staying for 9 months in total per year would be ok when it is done like this.

would this be ok? i found this "Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing."

any other ideas?

I did 30 (exemption) + 30 (extension), then one month out of thailand, then obtained a 60 d TR, then + 30 (extension). So 150d, 5 months. It's technically possible to do another 30+30, twice, to get @marvel to 9 months.

That said, when I re-entered the second time I was asked by the immigration officer at the airport why I'd come back so soon and when I planned to visit Thailand again in the future. When I said next year she let me through but not sure what would have happened if this was my third entry for the year. And I had a formal e-visa (TR), had I not had one (relying on another exemption) may have been worse. Something to keep in mind. No questions were asked when I extended my 60 d for another 30 however, so that was nice.

Alternatively, @marvel, if you have 20k USD to spare you may want to opt for the Thai Elite visa (a 5-year tourist via). But 20k USD is pretty steep!

have you looked at special tourist visa (STV) i think they are still available, here is a link to info from USA, https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/28/special-tourist-visa-stv/

if you want to stay 9 months then its paying for a long term visa ie STV, elite,  or border hops, not sure how easy they will be after all covid restriction end. the 1st 3 months will be easy. 60 day + 30 day extension