News Forum - Thailand News Update | Tourism Tax for Foreigners pushed back

Thaiger

Thailand’s PM has pushed back the introduction of a 300 baht ‘entry fee’ for international tourists arriving in the kingdom. Since Test & Go, Sandbox and other entry restrictions were dropped on May 1, Thailand has experienced a surge in international arrivals. If tourism levels continue to climb and significantly improve national income this year, it might not be necessary to introduce the entry fee… yet, according to PM Prayut Chan-o-Cha. However, the tourist ministry has earlier suggested the fee could be introduced in August or September this year. A tourist tax, arrival or departure tax, is nothing new. The […]

The story Thailand News Update | Tourism Tax for Foreigners pushed back as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If its to satisfy Thailand’s medical insurance paparazzi  , bring it on!

surely 300 bht per visitor will fill up their shortcomings.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s PM has pushed back the introduction of a 300 baht ‘entry fee’ for international tourists arriving in the kingdom. Since Test & Go, Sandbox and other entry restrictions were dropped on May 1, Thailand has experienced a surge in international arrivals. If tourism levels continue to climb and significantly improve national income this year, it might not be necessary to introduce the entry fee… yet, according to PM Prayut Chan-o-Cha. However, the tourist ministry has earlier suggested the fee could be introduced in August or September this year. A tourist tax, arrival or departure tax, is nothing new. The […]

The story Thailand News Update | Tourism Tax for Foreigners pushed back as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This "entry fee" is just another good example why Thailand is struggling. I know of no other doing something comparable, and yet the administrative effort to proper handle this will probably already eat away a substantial chunk of this revenue.

The attached/included insurance is a joke if one looks at the provided cover. And wasn't this all about getting funds to transform Thailand into a high-end tourism market? In this case, it will presumably need much more than 300 THB/visitor. So in summary, on my view a not thought-through measure where not much gain is to be expected.

My advice: just forget about that thing and deposit it where it belongs: in the rubbish bin right next to the Thai Pass, the mask mandate and the ridiculous selling restrictions for the periods where alcohol can be sold.

1 hour ago, Fundok said:

This "entry fee" is just another good example why Thailand is struggling. I know of no other doing something comparable, and yet the administrative effort to proper handle this will probably already eat away a substantial chunk of this revenue.

The attached/included insurance is a joke if one looks at the provided cover. And wasn't this all about getting funds to transform Thailand into a high-end tourism market? In this case, it will presumably need much more than 300 THB/visitor. So in summary, on my view a not thought-through measure where not much gain is to be expected.

My advice: just forget about that thing and deposit it where it belongs: in the rubbish bin right next to the Thai Pass, the mask mandate and the ridiculous selling restrictions for the periods where alcohol can be sold.

Can’t disagree with the sentiment of your post. However, as with many things in Thai policies, if you want to understand it then follow the money. Around 30% of this will be skimmed off and find its way in to private bank accounts. So let’s say 100 baht. With 40 million tourists then that’s a cool 4 Billion baht or $120 million a year. Nice work if you can get it!  

On 5/3/2022 at 4:24 PM, JJJ said:

And the outdoor mask mandate. 

On 5/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, Soidog said:

Can’t disagree with the sentiment of your post. However, as with many things in Thai policies, if you want to understand it then follow the money. Around 30% of this will be skimmed off and find its way in to private bank accounts. So let’s say 100 baht. With 40 million tourists then that’s a cool 4 Billion baht or $120 million a year. Nice work if you can get it!  

Wouldn't it be nice if I could reply "How dare you even thinking something like this?". But of course, I can't.

Sadly, I assume that you are pretty much spot on. Always follow the money...

• Like 1

I looked out of my window if it was freezing, because I thought only in that situation I'd agree with him. But he actually made sense here! If the double pricing will also be taken care of now, instead of just words, that'd be great.