News Forum - 8 year old Thai-Ukrainian child bitten by ‘shark’ in Phuket

Thaiger

An 8 year old half Thai, half Ukrainian child was reported as being bitten by an unknown sea animal at Kamala Beach on Phuket’s west coast. The officer from the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources believes the animal could have been a shark. On April 1, Thai media reported that the child travelled with 6 other family members. He went for a swim and was bitten on his leg in the evening at about 4.30 pm when the tide was falling. The boy was about 100 metres from the shore in water about 1 metre deep. He was swimming […]

The story 8 year old Thai-Ukrainian child bitten by ‘shark’ in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I hope that one day we will read only descriptions like this,

If a  phuket resident; A local 8 year old child was reported as being bitten........

If an out of province resident, An 8 year old child on holiday from another Thai province  was reported as being bitten......

If a foreign resident; An 8 year old Ukrainian national visitor was reported as being bitten

If the child is a Thai national, he should be no less a Thai because one of his parent's is from another country. 

• Like 5

But the most important they can not claim money because they live in thailand  lovely people the thai live mean nothing but money all

If it is a shark attack, then the officials better take it serious. Once used to such attacks, sharks will come back for easy targets. It is good to have a better clarity before concluding. Assumptions may leads to disaster.

• Like 1

Definitely one of those nasty little 'Putin' shark, specially trained to attack Ukrainians.

(Well they are training Dolphins to protect naval areas.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Prosaap said:

But the most important they can not claim money because they live in thailand  lovely people the thai live mean nothing but money all

More important, now WE know, that WE should be able to claim money, in case something like this is happening. Which no one ever would mention, in case WE ....

😉

Or did anyone know, that foreign tourists could claim ...?

"The Deputy Governor explained to Thai media that the family lives in Thailand so that they weren’t able to claim the compensation or right as a tourist."

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

If it is a shark attack, then the officials better take it serious. Once used to such attacks, sharks will come back for easy targets. It is good to have a better clarity before concluding. Assumptions may leads to disaster.

Blue shark attacks are VERY rarely happening. 

I would, if at all, think more of a black tip reef shark. They may bite swimmers or wading people, they are known to be around this waters

Anyway: shark bites, not good news in these days and for the south of Thailand!

Question: Why is there no picture to see, from the bitemark? One "American expert", come on, give the crowd a chance!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, palooka said:

Definitely one of those nasty little 'Putin' shark, specially trained to attack Ukrainians.

You know, what is funny?

After the fall of the Soviet Union, the Soviet military dolphin program was passed to the Ukrainian Navy. In March 2000 the BBC reported that the Ukrainian navy had transferred their military dolphin project from Sevastopol to Iran. Iran bought the animals, and the chief trainer carried on his research at their new oceanarium.[3]

In 2012, Ukraine allegedly "resurrected" the military dolphin program.[1] After the 2014 annexation of Crimea, the Ukrainian dolphin program was taken over by Russia.[4] Conflicting statements have been made regarding the fate of the dolphins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_marine_mammal

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vigo said:

If a  phuket resident; A local 8 year old child was reported as being bitten........

If an out of province resident, An 8 year old child on holiday from another Thai province  was reported as being bitten......

If a foreign resident; An 8 year old Ukrainian national visitor was reported as being bitten

If the child is a Thai national, he should be no less a Thai because one of his parent's is from another country. 

“ 8 year old boy bitten at sea ….” 
nationality / mixed race / residency all irrelevant to story…..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, oldschooler said:

“ 8 year old boy bitten at sea ….” 
nationality / mixed race / residency all irrelevant to story…..

Who should not have been swimming that far offshore ….or in the sea at all. 
My family ( including myself as former windsurfer & scuba diver) prohibited from ANY open water or boats….. massively unsafe anywhere. Supervised pool swims only.

Blue sharks are found every summer about 10 miles out or more from the South West coast - Devon or Cornwall

https://i2-prod.dailystar.co.uk/incoming/article15420255.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Blue-shark-1028686

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vigo said:

I find this type of reporting utterly ridiculous. All too often, the reporting of nationality or foreign compared to Thai has no relevance to the story. All it does is continue to perpetuate the nationalistic nonsense. What relevance to the story is the child being half Ukrainian and half Thai to do with anything. Simply “An 8 year old boy was bitten by shark” is all that’s required. It’s not just ridiculous, it’s shameful and small minded. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I find this type of reporting utterly ridiculous. All too often, the reporting of nationality or foreign compared to Thai has no relevance to the story. All it does is continue to perpetuate the nationalistic nonsense. What relevance to the story is the child being half Ukrainian and half Thai to do with anything. Simply “An 8 year old boy was bitten by shark” is all that’s required. It’s not just ridiculous, it’s shameful and small minded. 

I agree that mentioning nationality in the title is irrelevant (other than enticing people of that nationality to click on the link), but - based on your proposal for a title - what's the relevance of the victim being male? Does being a child (or age in general) really matter? 

Here are some alternatives:

• "Unidentified fish allegedly bites human"
  • "Drones & permanent warning signs due to freak incident"
  • "Media-exposure triggers a flurry of city activity"

5 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

I agree that mentioning nationality in the title is irrelevant (other than enticing people of that nationality to click on the link), but - based on your proposal for a title - what's the relevance of the victim being male? Does being a child (or age in general) really matter? 

Here are some alternatives:

• "Unidentified fish allegedly bites human"
  • "Drones & permanent warning signs due to freak incident"
  • "Media-exposure triggers a flurry of city activity"

Well half the world is male and so fairly inclusive. We have all been Children and perhaps a lesson to other children to be careful and parents to take more care. So I feel they are inclusive and relevant details. Being half Thai and half Ukrainian is totally irrelevant unless there is a suggestion these half breeds don’t know how to take care in the ocean?  It’s just a backward headline.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rob2010 said:

Blue sharks are found every summer about 10 miles out or more from the South West coast - Devon or Cornwall

https://i2-prod.dailystar.co.uk/incoming/article15420255.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Blue-shark-1028686

Exactly Blue Sharks are a cold water oceanic shark that does not exist in Thai waters their so called "shark expert" is a joke! The boy was bitten by a barracuda or local equivalent. The so called expert said shark to get attention. It's like they said in Jaws, you yell barracuda and people  go huh, you yell shark and the story gets published on the Thaiger... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Farrago said:

There is no such thing as a blue shark, what they mean is a bull shark, it was in the other newspapers. 

Yes there is, a Blue Shark is a cold water oceanic shark that is not found in Thai waters. They are usually found in deep oceananic waters most commonly in the Atlantic or the Eastern Pacific Oceans although they can be found in any deep water Ocean and occasionally near the shore in places where deep water coastlines exist. 

I think you may be correct that the "so called" expert may have meant a Bull Shark and was miss quoted but even then he would be wrong as even a young Bull Shark would not let go havi g bitten the child's leg it would saw off the piece of flesh and swim off with it as Bull Sharks are not known for letting go of something they bite "by mistake". That's one of the reasons why they are responsible for more fatal shark attacks than every other species of shark the planet put together. The so called expert is trying to back the sure bet. 

Edited by Tim_Melb

A Blue Shark is highly unlikely (they are a deep water species and attacks are very rare), even a juvenile Bull or Tiger Shark (both often found in shallow water) would have done far more damage, and I don't think I have ever seen a Black Tip around Phuket. A barracuda is much more likely to have been responsible. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, palooka said:

You (Ukranians) are not safe anywhere 🤣

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 6:35 AM, Prosaap said:

Give us that in English to give us a better chance to debate your xenophobia

On 5/3/2022 at 7:04 AM, Ramanathan.P said:

One little nibble (very little looking at the dressing) is hardly the dawn of Jaws. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:37 AM, oldschooler said:

Who should not have been swimming that far offshore ….or in the sea at all. 
My family ( including myself as former windsurfer & scuba diver) prohibited from ANY open water or boats….. massively unsafe anywhere. Supervised pool swims only.

You can walk 500 metres out in some places and still not get your shoulders wet !

• Like 1