News Forum - Phuket driver filmed obstructing ambulance says he didn’t hear it

Thaiger

A Phuket driver was caught on film driving slowly and erratically breaking, obstructing an ambulance that was taking a seriously injured woman to a hospital. A video clip was posted online on Thursday, causing outrage. The driver presented himself at Phuket City Police Station yesterday (Saturday). The driver claims he didn’t hear the ambulance because he is “old and deaf”. So far police have only named the driver as ‘Mr. Thamrong’, and have confirmed he was driving a black BMW. Police have not confirmed Mr. Thamrong’s age, or why he didn’t notice the ambulance lights flashing behind him. The police […]

The story Phuket driver filmed obstructing ambulance says he didn’t hear it as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The question about blaring sirens was well-countered: "I'm deaf" (motivated by "I'm old").

It isn't mentioned if the question about flashing lights was asked, but if so, I can only imagine the reply "I didn't look in my rearview mirror" (possibly motivated by "it's of no use; it's fuzzy wherever I look - I'm old, y'know").

People should decide which is more important: winging it afterwards or growing up beforehand.

• Like 1

What a cobblers of an excuse. But by his own mouth, he is incapable of driving on the public highway and his licence (if he has one!) should be revoked!

• Like 8

Looks like there are some serious problems to be addressed to. And it could be the tip of an iceberg....

To be fair to the guy, flashing lights on a vehicle could be anything from an ambulance to one of these lowered suspension pick-ups that bellow black smoke and create a racket. Red and blue flashing lights are not the reserve of emergency vehicles in Thailand. Most likely a law says it is, but who cares about laws in Thailand. If the police don’t, then why should anyone else? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

The question about blaring sirens was well-countered: "I'm deaf" (motivated by "I'm old").

It isn't mentioned if the question about flashing lights was asked, but if so, I can only imagine the reply "I didn't look in my rearview mirror" (possibly motivated by "it's of no use; it's fuzzy wherever I look - I'm old, y'know").

People should decide which is more important: winging it afterwards or growing up beforehand.

Maybe he should have added that he's half blind as well then he would have everything covered.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m Not saying this actually occurred but ive been told some emergency vehicles put their sirens on to get from place to another but have no emergencies waiting!

Some Thais know this and have purposely got in the way !

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

To be fair to the guy, flashing lights on a vehicle could be anything from an ambulance to one of these lowered suspension pick-ups that bellow black smoke and create a racket. Red and blue flashing lights are not the reserve of emergency vehicles in Thailand. Most likely a law says it is, but who cares about laws in Thailand. If the police don’t, then why should anyone else? 

ok. So basically, he is not fit to drive a vehicle since he is oblivious to the  traffic around him.  You are a kind hearted  person. I think this guy was being a petty jerk. Let him go sit in an Urgent Care reception and sit with the families so he can understand the need to get to hospital fast.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vigo said:

ok. So basically, he is not fit to drive a vehicle since he is oblivious to the  traffic around him.  You are a kind hearted  person. I think this guy was being a petty jerk. Let him go sit in an Urgent Care reception and sit with the families so he can understand the need to get to hospital fast.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong mate when I say to be fair to him. There really is little or no excuse for such behaviour. You see it regularly in Thailand. It’s just an extension of the selfish driving practice of majority of the Thai drivers. It’s literally dog eat dog. I even find myself driving the same way sometimes as it’s the only way to get anywhere.  Most of them think yellow box junctions are there to warn off the ghosts or some other nonsensical thoughts. 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Maybe he should have added that he's half blind as well then he would have everything covered.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

He should not be driving if his excuses are he’s old and deaf!

The hats the whole point of having a driving test!😤

Endangering other drivers, when it’s already a nightmare on Thai roads!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yeah, don’t get me wrong mate when I say to be fair to him. There really is little or no excuse for such behaviour. You see it regularly in Thailand. It’s just an extension of the selfish driving practice of majority of the Thai drivers. It’s literally dog eat dog. I even find myself driving the same way sometimes as it’s the only way to get anywhere.  Most of them think yellow box junctions are there to warn off the ghosts or some other nonsensical thoughts. 😉

'Most of them think yellow box junctions are there to warn off the ghosts or some other nonsensical thoughts.'

As an aside:
In the past when I've asked some females why they sleep with the light on and the TV on all night?
The reply has always been, "To scare away the ghosts. Ghosts don't like bright lights and noise."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grant said:

He should not be driving if his excuses are he’s old and deaf!

The hats the whole point of having a driving test!😤

Endangering other drivers, when it’s already a nightmare on Thai roads!

Then you go and tell the authorities that. Why are you harassing me about it. Lighten up. 

This is not a first time I saw such a behavior. Few yeras ago I saw a woman in an expensive SUV intentionality blocking an ambulance on a traffic lights in bkk. There are really many Thais who lack empathy. 

• Like 2

That I can believe, although its probably a lie.   They are the most situationally unaware drivers I have ever come across.  How they ever train any competent pilots here is beyond me; perhaps they don't . 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

They are the most situationally unaware drivers I have ever come across.  {snipped}

The phrase I've seen used is: Lack of spatial awareness.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

The phrase I've seen used is: Lack of spatial awareness.

They are different.  

Spatial awareness is just that, an organized knowledge of objects in relation to oneself in a given space, more so than just being aware of other people and things (i.e. Situational Awareness)

Situational awareness is being aware of what is happening around you in terms of where you are, where you are supposed to be, and whether anyone or anything around you is a threat to your health and safety.