News Forum - Building collapses in China, 18 people possibly still trapped

Thaiger

A six-storey building collapsed in China’s Hunan province on Friday, with 23 people inside. Rescuers managed to retrieve 5 people alive, who were brought to a hospital and are now in stable condition, according to authorities. But at least 18 more might still be trapped. The disaster happened in the city of Changsha. Meanwhile, the mayor of the city says the whereabouts of 39 other people who were around the building when it fell are “being further assessed”. China’s President Xi Jinping demanded that the victims be rescued “at all costs”, according to state-run news agency Xinhua. Investigators found that […]

The story Building collapses in China, 18 people possibly still trapped as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

57 minutes ago, Guevara said:

There I was hoping it was in Wuhan with Bat Woman at the bottom of the rubble.

Sick.

• Like 1

In 2015, a Chinese construction company called Broad Sustainable Building built a 57-storey skyscraper in just 19 working days.

An investment manager, Alastair Campbell, told CNBC that the company did not finish the building fast to make a “quick buck”, but rather to “demonstrate an efficient building technique”.

But how many days did they spend on getting the foundations right? Or didn't they bother?

Maybe like all the transport tunnels they built without means to pump out water as the recent floods caught them out and many died.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Guevara said:

There I was hoping it was in Wuhan with Bat Woman at the bottom of the rubble.

I don't think we want that building with batwoman to cave in and have a bigger world disaster making its way out of the lab for a second time.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Nothing new here. Weekly event in China, Tofu buildings everywhere throughout China.

I hope not. I live on the 35th floor. Plus they're making a lot of noise demolishing the old estate across the road. That's not the sound of collapsing 'tofu.'

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

I hope not. I live on the 35th floor. Plus they're making a lot of noise demolishing the old estate across the road. That's not the sound of collapsing 'tofu.'

Are you sure it is not slowly collapsing instead of being demolished??????🤣

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, palooka said:

Are you sure it is not slowly collapsing instead of being demolished??????🤣

Yes, the huge machines growling and hammering away are the clues. 😃

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

But at least 18 more might still be trapped.

I hope they'll get out safely. And I'm pretty sure they'll be able to find new homes among the millions of empty flats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Penthouse?

13 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yes, the huge machines growling and hammering away are the clues

That is the huge sound system they borrowed from my neighbours playing real demo sounds.😅

(Happy if they keep it too)

• Haha 1

Just now, palooka said:

That is the huge sound system they borrowed from my neighbours playing a real demo sounds.😅

(Happy if they keep it too)

Amazing how they time it to correspond with the movements too, and the 'whoosh' when each building comes down. I'm in awe! 😃

10 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Amazing how they time it to correspond with the movements too, and the 'whoosh' when each building comes down. I'm in awe! 😃

Why are they knocking them down if these buildings are structurally sound?

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Great, very thoughtful to synchronise for the residents. Must be nice people.

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

Don't you live in Hong Kong where most of the building's were built according to the  old British administration's rules and inspection system? Easy to make such statements when you are not in the mainland where buildings are regularly built from substandard materials in record times to make profits for the now collapsing real estate investment industry. Where the buildings then stand as empty ghost cities until they collapse too...

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

Don't you live in Hong Kong where most of the building's were built according to the  old British administration's rules and inspection system? Easy to make such statements when you are not in the mainland where buildings are regularly built from substandard materials in record times to make profits for the now collapsing real estate investment industry. Where the buildings then stand as empty ghost cities until they collapse too...

No, I live a fair way from Hong Kong in the mainland. Hong Kong is 600km distant from here. Never lived there. I live almost closer to Pattaya. Ghost cities are another western media myth. No-one builds anything unwanted. Everything is empty until people move in. Fact of life.

19 days to build? Doesn't concrete have to dry and cure? Don't prefabricated components eed to settle under their load? Even simple person like me knows this. (I watched Discovery Mega Project Specials 😃 )

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Poolie said:

Stay safe, lets hope your living in a building made from real steel and concrete.

1 minute ago, Morpheus said:

Stay safe, lets hope your living in a building made from real steel and concrete.

Yes we are ok thanks. 👍

18 hours ago, Poolie said:

Ghost cities are another western media myth. No-one builds anything unwanted. Everything is empty until people move in. Fact of life.

I could post dozens of examples of ghost cities in China but I thought these would be enough. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

I could post dozens of examples of ghost cities in China but I thought these would be enough. 

LIES ! You not say this. Most excellent Emperor Xi confirm all are thriving cities with happy and joyous citizens. Your name now in book. You in much trouble Mister. 

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

Dont bother with Serpentza and his mate. They are renowned China haters. 

3 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Dont bother with Serpentza and his mate. They are renowned China haters. 

Reporting facts does not equal to hate. Only 50 cent army like you would spin anything that does not propagate your interests as hate. 

• Like 4

Just now, Dr.Sivada said:

Only 50 cent army

Nope, doesn't exist. Check Harvard. Debunked it years ago. Do try and be current, if at all possible. 😃

• Haha 1