News Forum - Thai Navy seamen discharge follows investigation over trainee hazing

Thaiger

The Thai navy has quickly responded to yesterday’s public revelation about a Royal Thai Navy instructor who was dealing out punishments to new Navy recruits by forcing them to drink a cocktail including diluted human semen. The incident happened at the Sattahip Naval Base in October last year. Petty Officer Second Class Thaksin Ngokpilai was first transferred to an “inactive post’, the usual discipline meted out in the police and armed forces for alleged transgressions, whilst they are being investigated. Thaksin was working for the Department of Security at the Royal Thai Navy. He has now been jailed for at […]

The story Thai Navy seamen discharge follows investigation over trainee hazing as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There is a level of depravity that is present in Thai society that takes pleasure in humiliation. It is so widely spread that it must indicate a sickness of mind that needs addressing by competent mental health authorities that have no relationship with institutions like the security apparatus and education. Simply picking on sacrificial individuals will not begin to address this illness.

• Like 4

It's the  conscripts from the poor and rural areas who are subjected to the worst types of hazing. They don't dare do this to the kids with money or connections, because the parents complain.

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

8 hours ago, Vigo said:

It's the  conscripts from the poor and rural areas who are subjected to the worst types of hazing. They don't dare do this to the kids with money or connections, because the parents complain.

One would think so. Eat my gobbly gook gunk you ingrates who pulled the wrong colo. It's a direct order!.

"So" happy my son did the Thai ROTC type of high schooling. Although it was too many years and too much control with the butch hair for them already. Gave my son PSTD cringes, and he will never cut his hair like that butch ever again. Was not pleasant for mom and dad to see it as well.

• Like 1

I rather doubt there was really any amount of semen in there.  My read is it's just a mind-game, meant to simulate and instill muscle memory to overcome fear, self-preservation and hesitation when ordered into a hazardous situation.   Also can be used to snap in a space cadet who's not paying attention to detail, and/or attitude adjustment for a special case who needs to be knocked down a few pegs to, hopefully, become part of a team.  But these kinds of exercises can and do drift into the counter-productive stupid zone when mid-grade instructors don't have enough professional training themselves, proper structure, and adult supervision.

The fact the 2nd Class Petty Officer felt he could engage in this kind of creative training method suggests the cease and desist message hasn't flowed from the top down hard enough.  The fact the Navy went straight to CYA mode after getting outed in the media instead of making up alternate stories, or outright denial, is somewhat encouraging.  

Took my own country's military a generation to snuff it out.  By the time I left the forces, the new guys coming up behind me has no institutional knowledge or memory of the crazy hazing and initiation "traditions" I, and generations before me, got to participate it. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

15 hours ago, Pompies said:

There is a level of depravity that is present in Thai society that takes pleasure in humiliation. It is so widely spread that it must indicate a sickness of mind that needs addressing by competent mental health authorities that have no relationship with institutions like the security apparatus and education. Simply picking on sacrificial individuals will not begin to address this illness.

It’s present in all societies. Human condition linked I suppose to Survival, Status, Perverse Pleasure etc…..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Semen discharge.....😆

Someone was having a laugh there

Beat me to it 🤣😉

15 hours ago, Pompies said:

Seriously you guys need to stop painting the whole country's people from these few incidents. Have you seen the images leaked out of Guantanamo Bay? So all Americans take pleasure in humiliation as well?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Seriously you guys need to stop painting the whole country's people from these few incidents. Have you seen the images leaked out of Guantanamo Bay? So all Americans take pleasure in humiliation as well?

Fair point. But the people in Guantanamo are suspected foreign terrorists (still no excuse to abuse people). They are not fellow American conscripts being abused by their fellow citizens. That takes a particular nasty level of cruel depravity.