News Forum - Thailand is the best place to retire in Asia | This is Thailand

Thaiger

Foreigners who are over the age of 50 and want to retire to Thailand are eligible to apply for a Thai Retirement Visa. What types of Retirement Visas are available? Who is Eligible?, What Documents do you need to apply for a Thailand Retirement Visa?, and How to Apply for a Thailand Retirement Visa? All of these headlines in the video.

The story Thailand is the best place to retire in Asia | This is Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Timely post, thank you.  I'm currently trying to decipher the process.

I have read that the bank funds requirement can be met with an account in your home country if you are applying for the retirement visa at a consulate in your home country, is this accurate? (i.e. if I apply at Los Angeles consulate, can I show my US bank account with over $26k balance?)

Also, how do you get a statement of criminal record in the US?  I have no idea what agency I would go to for that.

A US criminal background check is performed by the FBI and can be done at designated post offices , for a fee of course.  If I recall,  I think you need to apply online prior to making an appointment at the post office. 

Edited by Naanlaew
  • Like 1

U.S. citizens carrying a tourist passport and in possession of an onward or return airline ticket do not require a visa to enter Thailand.  Just come here and then apply for an extended stay visa and retirement visa... then there is no background criminal check required... as far as I know a USA bank account does not meet the Thailand requirement 

3 hours ago, WR2 said:

I have read that the bank funds requirement can be met with an account in your home country if you are applying for the retirement visa at a consulate in your home country, is this accurate? (i.e. if I apply at Los Angeles consulate, can I show my US bank account with over $26k balance?)

Must be in a Thai bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skip said:

U.S. citizens carrying a tourist passport and in possession of an onward or return airline ticket do not require a visa to enter Thailand.  Just come here and then apply for an extended stay visa and retirement visa... then there is no background criminal check required... as far as I know a USA bank account does not meet the Thailand requirement 

I've read this is explicitly not allowed, ie coming on a tourist visa and trying to convert it to an O visa can't be done.  I've read so much conflicting information that I'm starting to think the legal services that take care of all this might be worth it!

5 hours ago, WR2 said:

Timely post, thank you.  I'm currently trying to decipher the process.

Also, how do you get a statement of criminal record in the US?  I have no idea what agency I would go to for that.

I just got mine 2 weeks ago for FBI Background Check for 90 days Special Tourist Visa. Here's the link: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WR2 said:

I've read this is explicitly not allowed, ie coming on a tourist visa and trying to convert it to an O visa can't be done.  I've read so much conflicting information that I'm starting to think the legal services that take care of all this might be worth it!

Skip is 100% right, and it is the same wether you have a US, European, British, etc... passport. And if you have around 35 000 baths to spend, then indeed go through an agent directly in Thailand. Come to Thailand with no visa so 30 days exemption (or a 2 months single entry Tourist Visa if you wish) as if you were going on holiday (so with return flight) and straight away go through the process with an agent (Pattaya is the best place for it). They will go with you all through the process, opening a Thai bank account and immigration. You then wait for 2 to 4 weeks and you will get your passport back with your visa. That is what I did and many of friends too...basically almost everyone I know with a retirement visa have done it that way, not from their home country.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, WR2 said:

That's just not true... I came here in November 2021 on an exemption... then got an extension because I procrastinated... then applied for and received an O visa... and now have a retirement visa... rather easy if one will follow the necessary steps