News Forum - BREAKING: Thailand ENDS Test & Go and Sandbox, changes for unvaccinated travellers

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Obviously good news for many, but I can't figure out why Thai Pass is stil needed when it seems all it's doing is submitting vaccine status and insurance cover. Seems like a redundant process now when all you need to do is show your papers on arrival, which by some accounts, some airports still ask for anyway despite having a Thai Pass QR code.

Anyway this gives me hope that I can make a UK trip sooner rather then later now.

I wouldn’t delay a trip just because of TP. When I did it the TP process was straightforward and easy enough. Anyway I think it is touted to be gone by July. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Simply DONT Drive or so Extreme Sport here if Tourist to avoid wrecked holiday / insurance claim. Walk or Use Good Saloon TAXI.

In particular don’t ride motorcycles without a helmet and/or if you have no prior experience on bikes 

• Like 1

I am willing to bet mandatory insurance will never go away. Because, even before Covid, too many fools were falling off bikes, having heart attacks, getting stabbed, getting dengue, food poisoning, falling into drains, bitten by Soi dogs, you name it.

And not having cover.

Then they're all over these forums and others begging for internet charity, while the British media, in particular, paint them as plucky Britons fighting for life in Dr. Livingstons jungle clinic. 

The worst, were the dead ones, leaving their stunned UK relatives the added burden of having to to beg online for money to bring the body home. Way to go mate!

Get the bloody cover you cheap twats 🍻😎

PS: seems to be a particularly British thing, not having insurance.

Edited by Zorba_the_Geek
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevejm said:

In particular don’t ride motorcycles without a helmet and/or if you have no prior experience on bikes 

Won’t Save You Here. following “ the rules” will get you in hospital or worse.
Rear Enders, Side Enterers & Lane Crossers ( All No Look/ DUI)  too numerous.

Mitigation: Perpetual Motion / No Stop  ( Motorbike) + Extreme Defensive Driving. No Night Driving. Western Full Face Helmet + Proper Shoes/ Gloves. 
Personal Motorbike Accident Insurance

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Faz said:

It's a pre-check to ensure you meet the requirements and don't get refused boarding.

and saves Thai Imm. checking non- Imm stuff (although they do like to do that to humiliate or show power to farang).

3 hours ago, Zorba_the_Geek said:

I am willing to bet mandatory insurance will never go away. Because, even before Covid, too many fools were falling off bikes, having heart attacks, getting stabbed, getting dengue, food poisoning, falling into drains, bitten by Soi dogs, you name it.

And not having cover.

Then they're all over these forums and others begging for internet charity, while the British media, in particular, paint them as plucky Britons fighting for life in Dr. Livingstons jungle clinic. 

The worst, were the dead ones, leaving their stunned UK relatives the added burden of having to to beg online for money to bring the body home. Way to go mate!

Get the bloody cover you cheap twats 🍻😎

I think it may be  British thing, simply because our mind set is that we have the NHS.. but it is cheap enough and considering how easy It is to have an accident, or age related illness, well worth the small cost.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

and saves Thai Imm. checking non- Imm stuff (although they do like to do that to humiliate or show power to farang).

I suspect that depends on your attitude or demeanor when you approach 🤔

3 hours ago, Zorba_the_Geek said:

Well that’s changed now hasn’t it? 

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Won’t Save You Here. following “ the rules” will get you in hospital or worse.
Rear Enders, Side Enterers & Lane Crossers ( All No Look/ DUI)  too numerous.

I have ridden a motorcycle across India, Nepal, Malaysia and Thailand (35,000km total ) and found Thailand was the best place to ride.  Of course you have to maintain your awareness at all times

Edited by Stevejm
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, astro said:

^

Exactly!

I even feel safer in Thailand on a bike than certain European places, the UK for example.

I also came from UK and found a big difference here in drivers noticing bikes on the road. In UK drivers pull out on you constantly and in my experience some drivers get so angry when you split lanes in stopped traffic that they deliberately try to knock you off.

Edited by Stevejm
Typo

The drivers in Thailand are much more aware of motorcycles than in Western countries simply because there are far more bikes. My wife never rides her bike above 45 km/h and clings to the far left side of the road. In most Western countries she would be roadkill in weeks. Plus the unwritten law in Thailand is that the bigger the vehicle the more guilty the driver helps a lot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevejm said:

I suspect that depends on your attitude or demeanor when you approach 🤔

No it’s just what they do. Never any problems myself.just talk. Numerous incidents. Trying to force / panic guys to Agents. 

Imm . target Retirement guys (for which I would use Agent). 

3 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

No it’s just what they do. Never any problems myself.just talk. Numerous incidents. Trying to force / panic guys to Agents. 

actually I’m mixing border immigration ( always fine if you present well ) with local immigration ( often difficult for Retirement applications). 🥺😞

7 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

That’s not my experience or anyone I know including guys on retirement.

5 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

actually I’m mixing border immigration ( always fine if you present well ) with local immigration ( often difficult for Retirement applications). 🥺😞

The discussion was about border entry procedures 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

That’s not my experience or anyone I know including guys on retirement.

Imm. Retirement Problems appear largely confined to Phuket/ Pattaya/ Bangkok (Principal Tourist Areas).

Friend with long term direct Retirement record is getting so much trouble from Immigration AND Banks , he’s going to use my recommended Agent in July.

21 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Initial entry stamp is always minimum 15 or 30 days , subject to status, which can be extended by local immigration.

yes ive gotten 2 covid exts so far 2 weeks pending and then the 45......going for a 3rd before may 24...

9 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Imm. Retirement Problems appear largely confined to Phuket/ Pattaya/ Bangkok (Principal Tourist Areas).

Friend with long term direct Retirement record is getting so much trouble from Immigration AND Banks , he’s going to use my recommended Agent in July.

I think using an agent makes sense anyway unless you enjoy queuing and waiting. However I know people on retirement visas who successfully renew their own visa at Pattaya without any problems.

On 4/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, Skip said:

No one forced you to buy $250,000 insurance... you chose to buy the unlimited coverage... I choose to buy the minimum required coverage and I self insure for anything beyond that.

I don't have a choice about the unlimited coverage health insurance provided by my company.

The travel insurance is option. Standard overseas travel product from Tokio-marine nichido  not Thailand specific covers all countries except not excluded like Syria, Afghanistan or war zone. The limit is set at $250,000 USD I don't think you can get a lower coverage if you pay less

On 5/2/2022 at 2:45 AM, Mamachigawa said:

I don't have a choice about the unlimited coverage health insurance provided by my company.

The travel insurance is option. Standard overseas travel product from Tokio-marine nichido  not Thailand specific covers all countries except not excluded like Syria, Afghanistan or war zone. The limit is set at $250,000 USD I don't think you can get a lower coverage if you pay less

So your company provides your insurance... you aren't "forced to buy" anything

44 minutes ago, Skip said:

So your company provides your insurance... you aren't "forced to buy" anything

Wrong again. I was forced to buy redundant travel insurance by Thailand because I am already covered。Because my company insurance will not provide the certificate acceptable for certificate of entry, visa issuance by Thailand Embassy, then the horror Thailand Pass I had to buy redundant insurances。

You can respond again that I don't really have to come to Thailand I can just abandon my property and friends and Thailand didn't force me to buy anything。Then I give in you correct。

It started in 2020  as $100,000 USD coverage. My point was  now $10,000 a small amount that wont even cover a serious accident on a moto. 

Edited by Mamachigawa

29 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

Wrong again. I was forced to buy redundant travel insurance by Thailand because I am already covered。Because my company insurance will not provide the certificate acceptable for certificate of entry, visa issuance by Thailand Embassy, then the horror Thailand Pass I had to buy redundant insurances。

You can respond again that I don't really have to come to Thailand I can just abandon my property and friends and Thailand didn't force me to buy anything。Then I give in you correct。

It started in 2020  as $100,000 USD coverage. My point was  now $10,000 a small amount that wont even cover a serious accident on a moto. 

How long are you staying?

I have travel insurance through work but bought FWD as well

It was 2200 baht

Not breaking the bank 

On 4/23/2022 at 7:56 PM, Stevejm said:

I have ridden a motorcycle across India, Nepal, Malaysia and Thailand (35,000km total ) and found Thailand was the best place to ride.  Of course you have to maintain your awareness at all times

I spent a month riding from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and back. The only issue was the bike fell over once because it had an aftermarket stand that caused it to sit up too high when parked. I was talking to one of my riding companions and heard a crunch, turned around and saw that my bike had fallen over 😩.

I don't think I would ride in Ho Chi Minh, that place is crazy.  

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

How long are you staying?

I have travel insurance through work but bought FWD as well

It was 2200 baht

Not breaking the bank 

Not the money it is the inconvenience. Many people will skip Thailand because of a burden of Thailand pass and insurance requirements. Yes, people should have travel insurance if they are not covered already

There is problem for very old people to get even if they are very rich already. Let us show bank account instead. Having insurance is no proof hospital gets paid anyway this is the problem Thailand was talking about before covid-19