News Forum - BREAKING: Thailand ENDS Test & Go and Sandbox, changes for unvaccinated travellers

Thaiger

Thailand plans to scrap its unpopular Test & Go entry scheme, opting instead to adopt the simplified categories of “vaccinated” and “unvaccinated” for international travellers arriving in the kingdom. The actual Thailand Pass – the online pre-registration system – will remain, although the paperwork has been vastly simplified by these changes. The CCSA announced those major changes, among others, about the county’s Thailand Pass program during its meeting today. International travellers, who have been fully vaccinated for Covid-19, will no longer need to take a PCR test on arrival. The removal of the PCR testing for vaccinated travellers effectively abolishes […]

The story BREAKING: Thailand ENDS Test & Go and Sandbox, changes for unvaccinated travellers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Vaccination does not stop one from catching covid-19 or spreading it. Where should the unvaccinated be treated differently?  Might as well drop all requirements if there is no pre-flight test. Insurance is a joke who sells 10,000 policies? A very small amount would hardly pay for a decent motorcycle accident and surgiry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as usual, clear as mud 🤣

"Unvaccinated travellers, who have submitted a negative PCR test within 72 hours before departure via the Thailand Pass system, will be treated the SAME as vaccinated travellers, with no PCR test on arrival OR quarantine."

and then 🤣

"Quarantine rules for unvaccinated travellers is the same at land borders as it is for those entering via international flights."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apparently getting rid of Thai Pass is the same as “quarantine-free” travel to Thailand.  It’s like the Hotel California—you can checkout but you can never leave. 

And the issue with the insurance is not the level or the cost—it’s the extra hoop to begin with! 

And for gosh sake, get rid of the outdoor mask mandate!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@Thaiger Thanks for breaking this news! It would be great if you could find out if existing approved Thailand Pass (test & Go's) can come in under the new rules without re-applying.

So what does it mean to be vaccinated under this revised process ... 2 or 3 shots and how many months since your last shot before you are no longer considered fully vaccinated? 

• Haha 1

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!! WOOOWOOOOOOOPPP MADE MY DAY SO too good 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😍 this is such a great news for me... hahaah

Edited by piyanat
  • Like 3

Just to be clear, are they dropping the requirement for any covid test on arrival, or just for a PCR test? Recently they have talked about abolishing the PCR test, but playing down the fact they were just planning to replace it with an ATK at the airport...

Sorry if this sounds cynical but the Thai government, TAT etc have used a lot of spin up to now.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Cabra said:

So what does it mean to be vaccinated under this revised process ... 2 or 3 shots and how many months since your last shot before you are no longer considered fully vaccinated? 

Well surely same as currently as stated on the Thai Pass webiste:

Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no less than 14 days before travelling

Yes, very vague... You don't really think surely that all these rules and restrictions are based on science, right?

• Haha 2

No ATK test at the airport on arrival as previously suggested. Has to be good news as the congestion at the airport would have been problematic 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Robbie_Flyer said:

Just to be clear, are they dropping the requirement for any covid test on arrival, or just for a PCR test? Recently they have talked about abolishing the PCR test, but playing down the fact they were just planning to replace it with an ATK at the airport...

Sorry if this sounds cynical but the Thai government, TAT etc have used a lot of spin up to now.

As I read it the previously touted ATK on arrival is not in there just a recommendation to do one on day 5 without government monitoring. Have to wait for it to be gazetted to see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

As I read it the previously touted ATK on arrival is not in there just a recommendation to do one on day 5 without government monitoring. Have to wait for it to be gazetted to see.

Dropping everything - as predicted.

Yes, it sounds cynical 😉... and, yes, it WILL be Gazetted shortly.

Overdue, but welcome. Thank you Thai government.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ….. questions like these will confuse the Thai Health Minister, and we certainly don’t want that to happen. He may decide to do another amendment, maybe label it 50 ways you can enter Thailand, just fill out the Thailand Pass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Dropping everything - as predicted.

Yes, it sounds cynical 😉... and, yes, it WILL be Gazetted shortly.

Overdue, but welcome. Thank you Thai government. (I added the emphasis)

I don't think they had a choice, so thanks aren't exactly warranted.

Regardless, this is welcome news and I will be booking my flight to see family in the states soon. Now I feel I can come back without fear of a ridiculous false positive and expensive "hospitel" stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

I don't think they had a choice, so thanks aren't exactly warranted.

Regardless, this is welcome news and I will be booking my flight to see family in the states soon. Now I feel I can come back without fear of a ridiculous false positive and expensive "hospitel" stay.

Big step forward, no arrival testing is a good thing. 

Next, start to reduce the fear within thailand by removing the outdoor ( at least) mask mandate.

One of a very small number of countries worldwide still mandating that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rc1 said:

Next, start to reduce the fear within thailand by removing the outdoor ( at least) mask mandate.

Yes changing from a mandate to a recommendation when indoors would be a good step forward. Compliance was almost 100% before the mandate anyway.

Dear CCSA do take note that you can keep all your land border crossing closed with your condition of vaccinated travelers still need to take Covid tests on arrival. Especially Long Term visitors. Do you think visitors are going to cross over for ST? Many are only coming for LT. They will not come in. Except only one crossing will be busy....that is Betong crossing. During weekends.

• Thanks 1

I am arriving in Thailand on May8th so I should apply for Thailand pass now or wait for a new version of the pass? I am concerned that maybe the system may get overloaded with loads of people now wanting to apply.

What kind of insurance should one purchase for the Thailand pass normal travel insurance with at least $10,000 of health cover or some special insurance sold by the Thailand pass? I have no idea about how to go about this.

5 minutes ago, Nathan said:

I am arriving in Thailand on May8th so I should apply for Thailand pass now or wait for a new version of the pass? I am concerned that maybe the system may get overloaded with loads of people now wanting to apply.

What kind of insurance should one purchase for the Thailand pass normal travel insurance with at least $10,000 of health cover or some special insurance sold by the Thailand pass? I have no idea about how to go about this.

Call the Thai embassy.

1 hour ago, rc1 said:

The masks are rarely an issue for Thais (cultural/compliant) and most resident expats.

I have never worn a mask when walking (Prayuth said exercise was exempted) but am happy to don a mask if 7/11 or Lotus's require me to do so. Wearing a mask on a motorcy seems totally pointless to me and not much use in a car when you likely slept with the woman who is sitting next to you.

I agree, make outside mask wearing voluntary.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Nathan said:

For Thailand pass may be have to wait until officially gazetted as anything can change anytime in Thailand unless it is officially gazetted. As for insurance, I would go for something which is cheaper and just provide the basic coverage including pandemic protection to satisfy the entry requirements.....AXA is the cheapest based on my research...

I have seen a couple of reports that even Lateral Flow testing on arrival is VOLUNTARY for fully vaccinated travelers.

Is this true?

For anyone planning to visit early May - This is from the Thailand Pass website: 

"Registration on Thailand Pass for travelers entering Thailand from 1 May 2022 under new entry measures will be opened from 29 April 2022 onwards (00.01 hrs Thailand time).

Let's say your planned arrival date is in the first week of May, what would you do? 

3 hours ago, Chaimai said:

The masks are rarely an issue for Thais (cultural/compliant) and most resident expats.

I have never worn a mask when walking (Prayuth said exercise was exempted) but am happy to don a mask if 7/11 or Lotus's require me to do so. Wearing a mask on a motorcy seems totally pointless to me and not much use in a car when you likely slept with the woman who is sitting next to you.

I agree, make outside mask wearing voluntary.

Exactly, I never wear mask when walking around outside in the sun or too hot that you can sweat around your face through mask, it's disgusting

• Like 1