News Forum - Thailand’s tourism council hopes to see more Chinese arrivals in October

Thaiger

15 minutes ago, Poolie said:

I'm ripping the mick out of your 75 year old references. 😃

Umm. okay, that's your right, but I don't  think that my sentiments on moral action are time limited? 

25 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Umm. okay, that's your right, but I don't  think that my sentiments on moral action are time limited? 

Well, perhaps the world was fundamentally different 75 years ago?

BeiJing just reported high covid cases and panic buying started. Potential lock down target.

Many other cities in China are at risks.

Chinese tourist coming into Thailand seems bleak.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

Indeed it was.  Free Nations were prepared to confront and militarily challenge evil, now, not so much. 

11 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I will state it yet again, the people get the leadership and the leaders they are prepared to tolerate, until they are not.  The Chinese people are collectively and individually responsible for the criminal  actions of their government, just like the Russians for their leaders. This philosophy, or obvious truth if you prefer, made the area bombing of Germany in WW2 and the dropping of the two nuclear bombs on Japan, morally defensible in international law.  The Chinese have had a National revolution before, they could have another. 

Tell that to the pro-democracy protesters that were ground into slush by the tanks that put down the peoples uprising in Tiananmen Square in 1989 oh you can't because they're DEAD. An uprising that most younger Chinese know little about because of the censorship and alteration of history by the CCP. You seriously expect the average people to fight the PLA to bring down the CCP. You live in a fantasy world. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Poolie said:

Beijing reported 19 cases today,and 5 others were asymptomatic.

More misinformation about case numbers from Poolie. You would think after saying the same things about Hong Kong immediately before it went into lockdown because of the recent massive outbreak he would have learnt his lesson... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/25/covid-lockdown-fears-spark-panic-buying-in-beijing-as-largest-district-begins-mass-testing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Poolie said:

Funny how you think it's history and out of date when it's not China but Chinese people always drag out the bad days of colonial oppression from the 1800's and early 1900's to justify their bad behaviour today. 

5 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

More misinformation about case numbers from Poolie. You would think after saying the same things about Hong Kong immediately before it went into lockdown because of the recent massive outbreak he would have learnt his lesson... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/25/covid-lockdown-fears-spark-panic-buying-in-beijing-as-largest-district-begins-mass-testing

Read it, as I did.

https://www.shine.cn/news/nation/2204254773/

Now, as in, 4 hours ago, they are reporting 29 cases.

https://www.shine.cn/news/nation/

I don't learn lessons from google. Neither should you. It'll take you to the Guardian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tim_Melb said:

I think I will stick with a free press rather than a a CCP propaganda sheet. 

Then do that, but dont criticise us who choose other than the western press. Its a free planet, contrary to popular belief. 😃

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Poolie said:

Beijing reported 19 cases today,and 5 others were asymptomatic.

Under zero covid is that enough to trigger a lock down? Isn't Beijing going to institute a massive city wide testing tomorrow (or is that today)? Clearly this story for Beijing is just starting.

The funny thing about covid, it likes to travel in waves. You correctly point out a few days ago, the cases in Shanghai were falling. In fact they did for five days straight. Only problem is they spiked again today (or was that yesterday? hahaha). Shanghai isn't going to be coming out of lockdown anytime soon. Not unless Pooh changes his policy and I don't see that happening. 

Lets hope the same fate doesn't befall Beijing (just don't bet the farm on it). 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Under zero covid is that enough to trigger a lock down? Isn't Beijing going to institute a massive city wide testing tomorrow (or is that today)? Clearly this story for Beijing is just starting.

The funny thing about covid, it likes to travel in waves. You correctly point out a few days ago, the cases in Shanghai were falling. In fact they did for five days straight. Only problem is they spiked again today (or was that yesterday? hahaha). Shanghai isn't going to be coming out of lockdown anytime soon. Not unless Pooh changes his policy and I don't see that happening. 

Lets hope the same fate doesn't befall Beijing (just don't bet the farm on it). 

I dont know, how would I? You seem to know everything. I'm not that cocky. 😃

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Then do that, but dont criticise us who choose other than the western press. Its a free planet, contrary to popular belief. 😃

Not in China it isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Poolie said:

I dont know, how would I? You seem to know everything. I'm not that cocky. 😃

I'm pretty sure that last part isn't completely correct. 😉

Regardless, right after writing my post I saw this in the news:

China's capital, Beijing, began mass testing of more than 3 million people on Monday and restricted residents in one part of the city to their compounds, sparking worries of a wider Shanghai-style lockdown. While only 70 cases have been found so far in the city of more than 21 million since a new outbreak surfaced Friday, authorities have rolled out strict measures under China's “zero-COVID” approach to try to prevent a further spread of the virus. Some residents worked from home and many stocked up on food as a safeguard against the possibility that they could be confined indoors, as has happened in multiple cities, including the financial hub of Shanghai. The city of Anyang in central China and Dandong on the border with North Korea also started lockdowns as the omicron variant spreads across the vast country. Shanghai, which has been locked down for more than two weeks, reported more than 19,000 new infections and 51 deaths in the latest 24-hour period, pushing its announced death toll from the ongoing outbreak to 138.

Beijing locks down some areas as COVID-19 cases mount (msn.com)

Sounds like the beginning of locking down the city. Shanghai started the same way. Limited and targeted lockdowns in hope of not needing a full city one later. Only problem is Omicron is undefeated! 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

36 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

I'm pretty sure that last part isn't completely correct. 😉

Regardless, right after writing my post I saw this in the news:

China's capital, Beijing, began mass testing of more than 3 million people on Monday and restricted residents in one part of the city to their compounds, sparking worries of a wider Shanghai-style lockdown. While only 70 cases have been found so far in the city of more than 21 million since a new outbreak surfaced Friday, authorities have rolled out strict measures under China's “zero-COVID” approach to try to prevent a further spread of the virus. Some residents worked from home and many stocked up on food as a safeguard against the possibility that they could be confined indoors, as has happened in multiple cities, including the financial hub of Shanghai. The city of Anyang in central China and Dandong on the border with North Korea also started lockdowns as the omicron variant spreads across the vast country. Shanghai, which has been locked down for more than two weeks, reported more than 19,000 new infections and 51 deaths in the latest 24-hour period, pushing its announced death toll from the ongoing outbreak to 138.

Beijing locks down some areas as COVID-19 cases mount (msn.com)

Sounds like the beginning of locking down the city. Shanghai started the same way. Limited and targeted lockdowns in hope of not needing a full city one later. Only problem is Omicron is undefeated! 

MSN. Whoopee!!

3 minutes ago, Poolie said:

MSN. Whoopee!!

Oh ye of little faith: 

Residents of Beijing's biggest district have resorted to panic buying as orders to undergo three rounds of mass Covid-19 tests spark fears of a wider lockdown. China's capital city is on high Covid-19 alert following a spike last week, with several residential compounds locked down, even as financial hub Shanghai struggles to contain a month-old outbreak that has battered the economy and has left people scrambling for food and medical care. Of 70 local cases recorded in Beijing since Friday, more than half were from Chaoyang, an affluent district home to some 3.5 million people, including several embassies and multinational companies. ... People will be tested again on Wednesday and Friday, with top health officials warning that "hidden transmissions" began about a week ago. Several big Chinese cities have reported outbreaks in recent months, most notably Shanghai, whose 25 million people have been under indefinite lockdown for more than three weeks. In Beijing, a 24-year-old reporter called Aurora, who declined to give her surname, said she and her friends were worried about undetected transmissions. Despite more than a dozen buildings in Chaoyang being placed under full lockdown and movement restrictions tightened since last week, infections spread to other districts over the weekend. Beijing reported 29 new cases on Monday, 20 of them from Chaoyang. Cases have already spread to eight of the city's 16 districts. Aurora lives in Fengtai district - a 30-minute drive from Chaoyang which reported two cases on Monday. She has already placed online shopping orders for staples like rice and bread, instant noodles and other necessities, with plans to visit the local supermarket for fresh produce in particular.

Beijing Covid-19 spike sparks panic buying as mass tests begin in worst-hit district (msn.com)

That's from the South China Morning Post via msn. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I will state it yet again, the people get the leadership and the leaders they are prepared to tolerate, until they are not.  The Chinese people are collectively and individually responsible for the criminal  actions of their government, just like the Russians for their leaders. This philosophy, or obvious truth if you prefer, made the area bombing of Germany in WW2 and the dropping of the two nuclear bombs on Japan, morally defensible in international law.  The Chinese have had a National revolution before, they could have another.

Tell me please, are the residents of an apartment building responsible for the crimes of one particular guy who live in this building?

Let's say, the man raped and killed an innocent girl. Does it mean that now we have an excuse to kill all the residents of the building where he lives? Doesn't it remind an idea of group responsibility that was very liked in some fascistic countries?

People who live in countries ruled by dictators are clearly divided into 2 parts:

1. Active supporters of the dictator (pro-government politicians, government employees, enforcers, propagandists) - they are partners in crime and should be punished.

2. People who live in this country and have no legal way to affect the decisions of their government.

The area bombing of Germany in WW2 more than once was a war crime, especially the bombing of Dresden. And it is a shame that only war crimes of Germany and its allies have been condemned in Nurnberg. War crimes of anti-Hitler coalition were hypocritically skipped and as a result now you are calling for the same vile practice of the "group responsibility" which was so liked by dictators like Hitler and Stalin.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dmitrii said:

Tell me please, are the residents of an apartment building responsible for the crimes of one particular guy who live in this building?

You know, I really do worry about some people's total lack of logical thought and reasoning ability.  

So you are using a condo to debate about Nations?  Good one mate. 

12 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Tell that to the pro-democracy protesters that were ground into slush by the tanks that put down the peoples uprising in Tiananmen Square in 1989 oh you can't because they're DEAD. An uprising that most younger Chinese know little about because of the censorship and alteration of history by the CCP. You seriously expect the average people to fight the PLA to bring down the CCP. You live in a fantasy world. 

That's what some peoples and Nations do mate, they don't just sit there and put up with shit.  Read your history. Many regimes have fallen due to the collective action of the people. By and by, the PLA are also the people? The Police are also the people.  The leaders are just a small bunch of old men.  That's how change happens, from within. Still, I'm probably debating with someone who clearly never studied any history at school. 

Just a reminder folks that the topic of this thread concerns the tourism council hoping for more Chinese arrivals in October.

Some tangential discussion is permitted, but right now we’re pushing the concept of ‘tangential’ to its upper limit.

Let’s return to the topic at hand please.

Regards,

• Like 1

There is slim chance of Xi backing off covid-zero before the CCCP 20th Party National conference in Autumn 2022. With harsh lockdowns and extreme quarantines for returning Chinese residents we do not anticipate  any big  increase of China tourists until about a year from now, if ever. 

• Like 1