News Forum - Thailand’s tourism council hopes to see more Chinese arrivals in October

Thaiger

The vice president of the Tourism Council of Thailand says that if the country fully reopens within the second quarter of the year, it just might attract at least five million international tourists during the second half of 2022. He added that if China lifts international travel restrictions on its citizens, there could be seven to eight million international tourists by the end of the year. China has an annual holiday from October 1-7, when Chinese travellers could potentially come to Thailand. The VP, Vichit Prakobgosol, stressed that the sooner Thailand reopens, the better its chances at keeping it’s edge […]

The story Thailand’s tourism council hopes to see more Chinese arrivals in October as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

More delusional utterances by someone purporting to have expertise. Unless Xi Jinping abandons his zero Covid policy there will be no Chinese outbound tourism this year. And Xi is renowned for not making u-turns unlike the Thai government.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Pompies said:

More delusional utterances by someone purporting to have expertise. Unless Xi Jinping abandons his zero Covid policy there will be no Chinese outbound tourism this year. And Xi is renowned for not making u-turns unlike the Thai government.

He said 'if'...............perfectly rational. Rather harsh there in your daily criticism of everything Thai. 😀

14 minutes ago, Pompies said:

Thaiger didn't mention the year, just October. Personally I'd be happy if it was around 2030.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Guevara said:

Thaiger didn't mention the year, just October. Personally I'd be happy if it was around 2030.

Sinophobic are we? Duly noted.

• Haha 1

'stressed that the sooner Thailand reopens, the better its chances at keeping it’s edge as a renowned tourist destination.'

I believe they lost their edge about 2 years ago.

The question is, can they get it back?

Edited by Saltire

A city the size of Shangai is locked down at the moment people are not even allowed out of their houses and the Thai government believes the Chinese will be coming this year. Wow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, vlad said:

A city the size of Shangai is locked down at the moment people are not even allowed out of their houses and the Thai government believes the Chinese will be coming this year. Wow.

So? Shanghai is one city in a population of 1.4bn people.  Small proportions and the numbers are declining fast as they always do in China.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, vlad said:

Yes, wow … but it is only might happen. We may just believe in fairies and invisible beings too 😉

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Yes, wow … but it is only might happen. We may just believe in fairies and invisible beings too 😉

Nah Advo they must have paid off the fortune teller they employed a few years ago now there clutching at straws. Who were they trying to attract a while ago? The Arabs didn't come, Indians didn't come so there falling back on the subs bench again the Chinese.

• Like 3

the thai pass requirements couldn't cope with a trickle of tourist,what will become of 5-7 million Chinese, no doubt rules with be thrown out of the windows for them and the Russian,while westerner have to continue to walk the plank

• Like 2

1 minute ago, harry1 said:

the thai pass requirements couldn't cope with a trickle of tourist,what will become of 5-7 million Chinese, no doubt rules with be thrown out of the windows for them and the Russian,while westerner have to continue to walk the plank

Yep, thats what I thought as I walked ahead of my plane-mates and straight to immigration while they filled in a visa on arrival form and counted out their 3k baht.

Plane was from China.

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

Sinophobic are we? Duly noted.

Who isn’t. They work hard to make the rest of the world feel that way. Yourself included. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Who isn’t. They work hard to make the rest of the world feel that way. Yourself included. 

Never really considered myself Sinophobic but my adopted daughter (Thai bred and born) might put herself in that category. She owns a Guest House and avoids at all costs accepting Chinese 'guests'. The cost of repairs and refurbishments outweighs the cost of their stay. Some of the incidents she has told me, you don't want to be eating at the same time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Guevara said:

Never really considered myself Sinophobic but my adopted daughter (Thai bred and born) might put herself in that category. She owns a Guest House and avoids at all costs accepting Chinese 'guests'. The cost of repairs and refurbishments outweighs the cost of their stay. Some of the incidents she has told me, you don't want to be eating at the same time.

Ah a guest house. Most Chinese I'd guess would opt for a minimum four star hotel. 😀

1 hour ago, Guevara said:

ooooo im all ears-lets gossip!!!!  what did the chinese do??  i looked at a room this week and saw it was a chinese hotel--i wanted the room but thought of whom would be staying there and decided against it

58 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

ooooo im all ears-lets gossip!!!!  what did the chinese do??  i looked at a room this week and saw it was a chinese hotel--i wanted the room but thought of whom would be staying there and decided against it

Most times that is a very smart decision in most cases if it is a place where they bring them in by the bus loads. The article does sort of point at that these Chinese they are referring to might be more low key? Not buying it for the majority of any size of Chinese group travelers. It’s bound to be noisy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Ah a guest house. Most Chinese I'd guess would opt for a minimum four star hotel. 😀

Yes you are guessing. Explain why they arrive with suitcases full of food and rice cookers? $ star? You've got a sense of humour 555

10 hours ago, Guevara said:

Yes you are guessing. Explain why they arrive with suitcases full of food and rice cookers? $ star? You've got a sense of humour 555

Yes, I find a sense of humour is essential here. Too many bigoted people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

Yes, I find a sense of humour is essential here. Too many bigoted people.

A few too many apologists and indoctrinated people also! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You can tell there are no tourists in Koh Lanta by the fact that the TAT and this "Tourist Council" seem to have eaten all the magic mushrooms on the island. 

The Chinese police are reportedly now asking for Passports to be surrendered until after Covid.

They're so paranoid they must all be smoking yaa ice and weed 24/7 this is crazy shit tweakers do.

With the various authorities out of their skulls based on their words and actions, I doubt the Chinese population will be here until Xi is chilling alongside his idol Mao under glass.

Edited by Zorba_the_Geek
  • Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 6:23 PM, Saltire said:

'stressed that the sooner Thailand reopens, the better its chances at keeping it’s edge as a renowned tourist destination.'

I believe they lost their edge about 2 years ago.

The question is, can they get it back?

It's astonishing the draw the place has. 

While I loathe the swine in the wheelhouse at present, and detest the blatant xenophobic hypocrisy in general, I'm besotted with the place. 

And not just the women. The whole package, the lush gardens, cheap and easy drugs, genuine party-gurl spirit unrivalled anywhere, Colombia included, cheap accommodation and transportation, good internet, cosmopolitan cities, incredible tropical beauty, the weather. 

It's true the nightlife is getting stupidly expensive, and compared to Europes FKK scene. It's honestly infererior -for a very similar price point now.

And word is getting out.

However, there's still the cheap hotels, reasonably priced food convenience store beer and negotiable streetwalkers/freelancers, who I really can't say I've had a bad turn with, except rarely. They're not as hot as the dancers straight off the bus but I'm not hiring them to catwalk model. 

The pasty faced newbs, after a few beers are going to pay silly prices, or fall in love, and pay silly prices, and wai waitresses and generally embarrass themselves, so yes, life will go on, and 20 years from now, when I'm long gone, they'll be telling kids just born tonight how amazing it all was back in the twenty-twenties.

Edited by Zorba_the_Geek

On 4/22/2022 at 10:53 PM, Guevara said:

The quality of Chinese tourist Thailand attracts, sadly that is the case.

• Thanks 1