News Forum - Travel Guide: Where to buy a SIM card for travel in Thailand 2022

Thaiger

You’ve finally touched down in Thailand after the hiccup caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. You’re excited for the change to travel again or possibly call Thailand your new home. You reach for your phone to call a cab, but wait, you don’t want to turn on roaming and you can’t connect to WiFi. What to do? Buying a Thai SIM card with a Thai phone number is simple. All of the country’s major mobile network service providers have special offers specifically for travellers. All you’ll need is an unlocked phone, a wad of baht and your passport. To simplify your […]

The story Travel Guide: Where to buy a SIM card for travel in Thailand 2022 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Wow, the monthly unlimited data and phone calls cost is over two and a half times what it costs in the UK. 4 and 5G.

I wonder why it is so expensive?

8 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Because it is this "tourist cards" packages. But tell me, a tourist in need of hundreds of minutes talk time, domestic, but only 1 or 2 or 5 GB? 

In my opinion, the cheapest sim card, cost is about 50 baht, plus booking on top, the internet that people need, that is the best option.

Only ONE problem: The tourist would need to check that at home and BEFORE they get the free tourist-Sim in the arrival hall (not sure they do that, right now, but they did). After that, they mostly won't change anymore, "Is just for a couple of weeks". With high usage costs!

My advice is don’t bother with 5G if there’s a 4G only option. You simply don’t need 5G for the vast majority of what people use mobile data for. Unless you will be steaming video or doing lots of video calling using apps like WhatsApp, then 2Gb of data for a week should be fine. In most locations you can hop on to the hotel or restaurant/bar Wi-Fi anyway and not use the mobile data

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

Wow, the monthly unlimited data and phone calls cost is over two and a half times what it costs in the UK. 4 and 5G.

Thailand is cheap, but the plans can look confusing. AIS pre-paid is 300 bhat for ulimited 4G data at 10M connection - 7 pounds - per month.

Do you really need outbound phone calls within Thailand? Just pay as you go for those. Everything here is done using LineApp.

Outbound international calls - Skype/VOIP/WhatsApp/Facetime/Googlevoice. Better quality calls and cheaper/free.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...