O-A visa entry requirement at airport immigration bangkok

theghizmo

A friend of mine is entering Bangkok with a brand new O-A visa.

For some reason, the embassy issued him the O-A visa based on the old law of 400,000 IPD and 40,00 OPD insurance but I am pretty sure the airport will ask for the new THB 3 Million insurance document because its a new visa and need to adhere to the new O-A visa law.

Can someone share their experience for Bangkok airport immigration about the document which they will check for O-A visa? I mean, do they check if the certificate should mention OPD coverage or not?

If I understand the latest law correctly, now they should only ask for the total coverage of 3Million THB or 100,000 USD. Not OPD and IPD coverage separately but I am seeing conflicting  information online. Even some embassies have different format for the certificate, Singapore embassy has a template with OPD whereas Munich does not. So ultimately it's going to the airport immigration officer to decide, hence wanted to know someone's experience on this matter.

Also, just to get some clarity.. Do we need to extend 1 Year O-A visa after 90 days of entry ( like Type O visa)?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, theghizmo said:

For some reason, the embassy issued him the O-A visa based on the old law of 400,000 IPD and 40,00 OPD insurance but I am pretty sure the airport will ask for the new THB 3 Million insurance document because its a new visa and need to adhere to the new O-A visa law.

Some Embassies still stipulate 400/40K requirement for the Non Imm O-A Visa. Don't worry about it if the Embassy deemed fit to issue the Visa, Immigration won't be concerned.
Extension applications from an O-A Visa are still 400/40K at local Immigration offices, but set to rise officially to 3M from Sept this year.

4 hours ago, theghizmo said:

Also, just to get some clarity.. Do we need to extend 1 Year O-A visa after 90 days of entry ( like Type O visa)?

On entry with a Non Imm O-A ME Visa, you'll be granted a stay of 1 year, or until the Insurance expiry date.
You can stay for almost 2 years on an O-A Visa, subject to the Insurance validity date, before applying to extend your stay further. You extend your permission of stay granted on entry, not the Visa.
Furthermore, you must submit 90-day reports.

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.
The period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extensions of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau located in the provinces.
https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2771 

Non Immigrant Multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay)
Only issued on the basis of retirement. (+50)
Valid to enter Thailand for 12 months from the date of issue.
Allows multiple entries of 1 year during the validity of the visa.
If you exit and re-enter just before the 'enter before date' of this Visa type, you will be granted a further 1 year permission of stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter during this 2nd year permission of stay period. This is because when the Visa expires on the 'enter before' date, so does the multiple entry allowance, which is only valid for the duration of the Visa's validity (1 year).
If used to its potential, you can stay for almost 2 years with this Visa type.

A mandatory Health Insurance policy requiring 400K inpatient and 40K outpatient cover is required for the Non Imm O-A visa application. (Increased to 3M BHT).
The permission of stay granted is impacted and limited to the expiry date of the Insurance policy, meaning on any entry the permission of stay granted will be limited to the expiry date of the Insurance policy.
You can subscribe to a new 400/40K health insurance policy at the end of your first year of stay and before re-entering Thailand to make use of that 2nd year stay the Non Imm O-A visa can provide, or alternatively consider a 2-year Health Insurance policy so as not to affect the validity of the multiple 1-year entries during the first year.

Common Visa Types explained. - > Visas, Long Stay, Extensions, Re-entry Permit - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

Thanks for your reply, so if the stay limit stamped on passport is dependent on the insurance then the immigration authorities at the airport will definitely look at the insurance document and certificate.

My guess, they will also check if the insurance is according to the latest law or not because I have read some instances on the Internet about this where the person was not allowed entry because of old insurance.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:35 PM, theghizmo said:

My guess, they will also check if the insurance is according to the latest law or not because I have read some instances on the Internet about this where the person was not allowed entry because of old insurance.

If the Thai Embassy requirement was 400/40K to issue the O-A  it will be acceptable.

For those already in Thailand on expired O-A Visas but further extending their stay, the requirement is still 400/40K.

• Like 1

When you stamp in on an O/A visa entry IF they are giving you less than a full year due to your OA insurance not being valid for the whole year they will write in thai "permission to stay granted for the duration of insurance" 
And as Faz stated IF you got the OA with the 40/400 policy you're fine to show that for proof of insurance (in addition to the mandatory 20K in covid insurance you need to enter the country)

• Like 1