News Forum - Netflix’s Q1 losses spark crackdown on shared accounts, impending ads

Thaiger

Netflix is facing the threat of stagnation, after losing subscribers for the first time in more than a decade. Stock prices drove about 30% on Wednesday after the company reported a loss of just 0.1% of its overall user base, or some 200,000 people. Meanwhile, Netflix is expecting things to get a lot worse before they get any better. The company has projected a total loss of around 2 million net subscribers by the end of Q2 this year. Analysts at Wells Fargo have already reduced their price target by about 50%, citing the company’s numerous strategies for business revival […]

The story Netflix’s Q1 losses spark crackdown on shared accounts, impending ads as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Learn how torrents work, get a VPN, and you will NEVER pay for another show/movie again.

Their lame offer of a less expensive streaming service with commercials is SUCH a novel concept. Corporate greed is killing this world.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Greed indeed. In my opinion, they are paying for their expansion into their own produced movies and shows, all of which are costing a motza to do. They wanted both. The production and the viewing.

Such actions only stimulated the need for the big studios like Disney and Paramount to counter with their own offers and considering the library of source material built up over the years they potentially have a distinct existing advantage making it difficult for Netflix to respond further.

I have a netflix subscription and to be honest its dirt cheap. I just struggle to find stuff to watch on there because it all needs to be politically correct in order to get shown.

Disney, Amazon all the rest are the same.

• Like 2

This has all the feel of a company about to self implode. 

Losing subscribers? I know boss, let’s crack down on shared accounts. That’ll teach em. 

Loosing subscribers and hence revenue? I know boss, let’s just increase prices to restore revenues. That won’t piss off the mugs (sorry, customers). 

Needs a whole new operating board to sort it out. Lacking innovation. Too few latest movies available. Difficult and changing user interface. Regional variations all unnecessary in 95% of cases. Start thinking out of the box or see the subscribers leave in greater and greater numbers. Netflix is starting to look and feel like a once grand hotel in need of modernisation and refit.  

Two price rises in 18 months in the UK - the price for the premium service (HD + up to four devices) isn't worth it any more if you are not interested in their big budget productions such as Bridgerton.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Learn how torrents work, get a VPN, and you will NEVER pay for another show/movie again.

Their lame offer of a less expensive streaming service with commercials is SUCH a novel concept. Corporate greed is killing this world.

and where will the money come from to make new movies for people to steal ?

• Cool 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

This has all the feel of a company about to self implode. 

Losing subscribers? I know boss, let’s crack down on shared accounts. That’ll teach em. 

Loosing subscribers and hence revenue? I know boss, let’s just increase prices to restore revenues. That won’t piss off the mugs (sorry, customers). 

Needs a whole new operating board to sort it out. Lacking innovation. Too few latest movies available. Difficult and changing user interface. Regional variations all unnecessary in 95% of cases. Start thinking out of the box or see the subscribers leave in greater and greater numbers. Netflix is starting to look and feel like a once grand hotel in need of modernisation and refit.  

I just think the big dogs, Apple, Disney and Amazon, have so much money and caught up to NFLX fast

I've been saving shows for a flight this week and then Thailand next week and there is about 20 shows/movies on Apple alone I have lined up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smithydog said:

In my opinion, they are paying for their expansion into their own produced movies and shows, all of which are costing a motza to do. They wanted both. The production and the viewing.

They had to do that! Netflix is the dinosaur in streaming, they  have been the first. And at that time, they bought/ could buy from everyone rights, to stream content. Now there are 8, 10 streaming offers available, and therefore LESS content available to buy. New, at least. Also, in my calculation, every paying account, at least here in Thailand, comes with 5-10 households/parties, sharing the password. My guess, that is about the same around the world!

37 minutes ago, Benroon said:

and where will the money come from to make new movies for people to steal ?

Well not Russia that’s for certain …. They certainly lost a lot of accounts there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Well not Russia that’s for certain …. They certainly lost a lot of accounts there.

They lost 700000 accounts in Russia but only ended up 200000 down on the quarter.

Seems Russian accounts were not that important after all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThailandBob said:

So is stealing.

Apples and oranges. A famous movie star was once asked if he was worried about people pirating his movies. He laughed then said, "I make WAY too much money for what I do!"