ANY Area In Thailand Where Dogs Are Less Of A Nuisance?

JustAnotherExpat

I only spend the winter here in the Isaan and I love to ride my roadbike. Last winter I did 2700kms here and there are thousands of dogs on the roads. A lot of them actually live in the temples, that s where locals bring dogs they don t need.

I was scared upon first contact, then I talked to a guy who knows everything about dogs:

Never accelerate when they approach you. They interpret that as fleeing which in turn incites them to hunt you. Instead, slow down a bit and look them in the face. Do not show fear, yell in a deep and loud voice, stare them down. Basically they are territorial and defend their place. They are also cowards who have learned to accept superiority and to attack  weakness. So don t be weak.

The dogs feel insecurity or fear. At first that s exactly what I felt towards them. I have turned that into anger. Now I yell and they stop barking and running after me.

So much about theory. Until today it worked fine, but I sure know that I could be bitten some day. But I could also get hit by a car or have a heartattack.

• 5 months later...

Interesting thread.

What happened to Volker? He is still on the platform, so I guess the soi dogs never got him.

Has he given up biking? Did he buy one of those e-dog-whistles?

Bring back the dog wagon.