News Forum - US mask mandate on public transport lifted following court ruling

Thaiger

A federal judge in Florida has ruled that a mask mandate on public transport in the US is unlawful, eliminating the disease prevention measure. According to a Reuters report, the mandate was extended last week until May 3, requiring passengers on trains, planes, in taxis, and at transit hubs to wear face masks. The lifting of the mandate comes as Covid-19 infections in the US are on the increase again. The mask mandate was one of several directives introduced by the Biden administration in a bid to control the spread of the virus, which has so far claimed the lives […]

The story US mask mandate on public transport lifted following court ruling as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Really? You need a judge to tell you what you can wear in public?

Remarkable.

In China you need the government to tell you what you can think and say. So it’s not so remarkable! 

• Like 5

Good step forward and the world (and even Thailand!) will eventually follow.

Apparently passengers were wildly cheering as  some US pilots announced this mid flight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

Really? You need a judge to tell you what you can wear in public?

Remarkable.

No...the judge rather has said what you don't have to wear.  Unlike in Thailand where shockingly you are forced to wear mask or risk fines and prison time

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, huhuarf said:

No...the judge rather has said what you don't have to wear. 

And the difference is..................?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

And the difference is..................?

Are you trolling or do you really not see the difference between being mandated to wear a mask vs. Being told its illegal to mandate the use of one?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, huhuarf said:

Are you trolling or do you really not see the difference between being mandated to wear a mask vs. Being told its illegal to mandate the use of one?  

Look, to the man in the street, which we all are, the difference is clearly moot. American by any chance?

Having pre existing medical issues

” any help” that Double masks can provide me when people start to sneeze up in the cabin, would be my choice!

Good news  for many endemicer’s .I dont see political fall out ,especially with elections around the corner .

Happy for the no masks people!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So a sensible mandate can be overruled by one judge in Florida - who BTW was appointed by the idiotic POTUS #45 just a few years ago

This makes absolutely no sense.  I hope the airlines and passengers take their own stance.  Restaurants can mandate shoes and shirts, why cannot an airline mandate masks? ....along with shoes and shirts and pants and no smoking, etc...  LOL

Think I'll ask my doctor to please remove his mask next time I am in the hospital with a communicable disease.  Am sure the doctor, the nurses, and all staff working there will comply  LOL

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

18 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

So a sensible mandate can be overruled by one judge in Florida - who BTW was appointed by the idiotic POTUS #45 just a few years ago

This makes absolutely no sense.  I hope the airlines and passengers take their own stance.  Restaurants can mandate shoes and shirts, why cannot an airline mandate masks? ....along with shoes and shirts and pants and no smoking, etc...  LOL

Think I'll ask my doctor to please remove his mask next time I am in the hospital with a communicable disease.  Am sure the doctor, the nurses, and all staff working there will comply  LOL

I'm flying today 

Most airlines have already come out dropping the mandate

Even if they wanted to keep it, I don't think they'd want the hassle of being attacked by unruly passengers that would be more emboldened now 

56 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Airlines can set their policies so your hope is granted. This just means that federal government isn't involved that's all.  If people want to mask up they certainly will have the option to.  My body, my choice as the abortion proponents remind us

• Like 2

2 hours ago, huhuarf said:

Airlines can set their policies so your hope is granted. This just means that federal government isn't involved that's all.  If people want to mask up they certainly will have the option to.  My body, my choice as the abortion proponents remind us

The problem is that others wear a mask to protect me and I wear one to protect others . That seems to be the way masks protect each other. People choosing not to wear a mask puts me at a higher risk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This tubby in the blue is just worried if the seat belt will fit!   555

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/04/mask-mandates-struck-down-flights-06.jpg?w=1024

4 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Restaurants can mandate shoes and shirts, why cannot an airline mandate masks? ....along with shoes and shirts and pants and no smoking, etc...  LOL

This is a very good point. I myself if going rto do any air travel welcome to wear a mask. And I just got over covid but will wear one to protect my family. For now I am happy that I am not in the US and have no plans on going back for maybe a year or two or more.

No.....a judge (rightly) ruled that the federal government did not have the authority to issue the mandate in the first place, based on the US Constitution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Airlines are absolutely free to mandate mask wearing.  The federal government is not (according to this ruling).  Is it so hard to see the difference?

I'm flying tomorrow and will happily fly unmasked! The mandate was ridiculous from the outset.  Given the airflows and HEPA filtering of cabin air the risk of transmission on airplanes is infinitesimal.  It became even more ridiculous when the airlines resumed meal service.  If you're in first class (where I happen to be upgraded frequently) everyone removes their mask for about 30 minutes for the meal and all at roughly the same time.  Same is true for shorter periods in coach.  Yet there's not been a documented case of a spreader event from a flight.  I also very much disliked rebreathing my own CO2.  I noticed this especially on planes due to being immobilized for long stretches.  Gave rise to funny breathing patterns and occasional dizziness.  So for me, goodbye mask!!!!

That said, if others wish to wear mask on their flights, no problem by me......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

The problem is that others wear a mask to protect me and I wear one to protect others . That seems to be the way masks protect each other. People choosing not to wear a mask puts me at a higher risk. 

I don't know that there is any scientific data to support this contention.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sprez33 said:

That said, if others wish to wear mask on their flights, no problem by me......

Which is the fundamental part of this public transport mandate ruling, No one is going to whinge or moan about people deciding to wear a mask. As they say in Thailand "Up to you"🙂. But holey cow if a mask nazi ever saw you drop the mask below your nose on a plane it was hell to pay.

Luckily for those that feel it is still too dangerous to fly without all onboard in a mask, they can still choose to fly with a carrier that imposes the rule, so far American, Delta, Southwest, United, and Alaska Airlines, are the only ones stating they have dropped it, So just search for one that still imposes it. Or they can allways use other forms of transport, as was often said to those that didn't like the mandates.🙂

• Like 2