News Forum - Thailand’s Covid trend is ‘down’ as we wait for the fallout from Songkran travel

Thaiger

The trend for Thailand’s daily new Covid infections is heading down. Despite the warnings of increased cases (up to 100,000 infections per day in one estimate), the trend over the past week has been down. The current surge hit its peak on April 1 with 28,029 new infections but has been on a downward trajectory ever since. Today Thailand registered 18,892 new Covid infections but is still seeing a rising trend of 125 new Covid-related fatalities, the seventh day in a row where the number of deaths has been more than 100 people. But the Public Health Ministry warns that […]

The story Thailand’s Covid trend is ‘down’ as we wait for the fallout from Songkran travel as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What is a "covid related death"?  Im assuming that is dying with covid, not dying because of covid.  If so, these restrictions will have no end in sight.  I'm not coming back until the risk of 10-14 day incarceration on arrival is removed.  Get it through your thick skulls, bureaucrats: I am of no more risk to you than your general population...in fact likely much less risk.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The trend for Thailand’s daily new Covid infections is heading down. Despite the warnings of increased cases (up to 100,000 infections per day in one estimate), the trend over the past week has been down. The current surge hit its peak on April 1 with 28,029 new infections but has been on a downward trajectory ever since. Today Thailand registered 18,892 new Covid infections but is still seeing a rising trend of 125 new Covid-related fatalities, the seventh day in a row where the number of deaths has been more than 100 people. But the Public Health Ministry warns that […]

The story Thailand’s Covid trend is ‘down’ as we wait for the fallout from Songkran travel as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sorry, but it’s not. It’s essentially flat and that’s because the testing is so woefully inadequate. 

0C7457AC-13AD-4A58-929F-AC1223CB6DEC.jpeg

• Like 4

I am not buying this article one little bit. I just got over it yesterday days testing second time negative and know my friends Thai dad who just got it overt he last weekend and then 4 others last week. All just in the last week here in CM. 2 weeks ago I heard of aproximately 5 more over that week. And this is for only what I know of for in CM. The officials are plainly are not mass testing and the home testers are plainly not speaking up and staying undercover at home. It is rampant.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I am not buying this article one little bit. I just got over it yesterday days testing second time negative and know my friends Thai dad who just got it overt he last weekend and then 4 others last week. All just in the last week here in CM. 2 weeks ago I heard of aproximately 5 more over that week. And this is for only what I know of for in CM. The officials are plainly are not mass testing and the home testers are plainly not speaking up and staying undercover at home. It is rampant.

Totally agree. Wait until the schools go back in 4 weeks time. Then wait to see what happens when nightclubs and other high risk areas are open. It’s not the case numbers anymore; although that can impact on services such as busses and shop staffing levels, it’s the seriously sick and deaths and the demand on healthcare.  

Omicron appeared in Holland in  november. After that infections started rising sharply, over 75k cases a day (in only 18m population). Mostly children who did not have any symptoms. After 3 months numbers started dropping. With 75% vacinated most unvacinated people had been in contact with the virus. Now we still have covid but it is not serious. We do not have any measures. Not even facemasks. If you test positive you are adviced to stay home for a few days. Measures here were dropped just before Carnival, which is comparable with Songkran in terms of people meeting, and being in close contact.

The same will happen in Thailand. Once enough people have either been vaccinated, or in contact with the virus, numbers will go down sharply. The famous endemic state. Measures can be dropped then. In one or two months I guess. If Thai goverment waits until daily infections are below 100 it may well be next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Totally agree. Wait until the schools go back in 4 weeks time. Then wait to see what happens when nightclubs and other high risk areas are open. It’s not the case numbers anymore; although that can impact on services such as busses and shop staffing levels, it’s the seriously sick and deaths and the demand on healthcare.  

From what I see none of the numbers are realisitc and plainly are running a BS blind eye. My omicron effects seemed a little more harsh but my last Pfizer shot was over 6 months ago. So glad I was vaccinated but wish I would have done my booster. So from first hand experience I know that this omicron can be taxing, and I am actually in pretty good shape from being a runner. As you said, we just need to wait and see because there is no way they will be able to cover this up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Perhaps read the last paragraph... "Since the pandemic started in early 2020, there has been more than 4 million Covid-19 infections, although it is estimated that the current numbers may be under-reported due to the highly infectious nature of the Omicron variants of Covid-19."

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

They will do as what they usually do Soidog deny it's increased, or simply fudge the numbers 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The current surge hit its peak on April 1 with 28,029 new infections but has been on a downward trajectory ever since.

Isn'it the same with the PCR covid tests? And as long they do not confirm ATK positives with PCR, they still won't show in the statistics. Or have there been changes in statistic writing, lately?

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

From what I see none of the numbers are realisitc and plainly are running a BS blind eye. My omicron effects seemed a little more harsh but my last Pfizer shot was over 6 months ago. So glad I was vaccinated but wish I would have done my booster. So from first hand experience I know that this omicron can be taxing, and I am actually in pretty good shape from being a runner. As you said, we just need to wait and see because there is no way they will be able to cover this up.

Quite interesting to hear this and glad you recovered.. we had vaccines and went through it fine apart from 40°c temperatures and seriously bad caugh/sore throat.... some others I know  have suffered here due to their vaccine status of not taking boosters.. so looks like Omicron is not milder, it seems its just your vaccine status how badly it effects people.. here in phuket it ripped through many but it's the normal now to take an atk and if positive just stay home until a test is clear without informing any official of this

5 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

Quite interesting to hear this and glad you recovered.. we had vaccines and went through it fine apart from 40°c temperatures and seriously bad caugh/sore throat.... some others I know  have suffered here due to their vaccine status of not taking boosters.. so looks like Omicron is not milder, it seems its just your vaccine status how badly it effects people.. here in phuket it ripped through many but it's the normal now to take an atk and if positive just stay home until a test is clear without informing any official of this

Thanks Malc-Thai. No real fever to speak of, but symptoms came in and out. Runny nose was out of this world. Sneezing fits yes, bad cough yes. Sore throat that seldom at times slightly burned as well as in the nostrils at times. Sneezing fits. Eye soreness, some sort of being cold chills but later in the game as morning sweats and I see this as my body throwing the virus off, being tired and also in and out body aches, and plainly at the beginning was just not hungry so passed on eating first couple/few days.

I was already worn down from things prior for when I got sick so this might have also had a contributing factor on it. Loss of sleep at the beginning as well. A lot of these floated in and out like waves seemingly on a daily thing like morning or afternoon or night so during these times it was weird. I really do think if had my booster then there would have probably been way less reaction even if I was tired before testing positive.

So there is probably a few things to it, and as I hadn't had a booster and last shot of Pfizer was 6 months prior, then I do think the protection had of the Pfizer had slacked off a bit but still was prevalent enough to keep me safe. Feel pretty ok now so just over a week or so and good to go. In the US have a family memebr who almost died from it (non jabber) and was in ICU fro awhile, and then a family member of one of my family's wifes died to it. A person I know fully vaccinated and his family all got pretty sick from it, so yes there is a danger to it for sure.

• Like 1

I myself have tested positive for covid and my wife. After 4-5 days we both tested negative. My mrs had a bad cough, I wasn’t as severe as her. She went to hospital 2,500 baht per trip 1 to find out what strain she had. They have a traffic light system green amber red. Green being the easiest on the body apparently. She got medication included in the price. She was double jabbed, I wasn’t. 
Trip 2 was to see if her lungs were scarred another 2,500 baht.

As others have stated most people who self test will self quarantine instead of going to a hospital because of the huge costs involved not 2,500

I believe all the numbers are totally inaccurate because I didn’t report my case and self quarantined and tested myself every 2-3 days. 

I also am not sure how accurate the test kits are. I think it depends on where u buy them. Again I could be wrong