News Forum - 40 dead, 323 injured on Day 3 of Songkran’s ‘7 Deadly Days’

Thaiger

Thailand saw 331 road accidents, resulting in 40 deaths and 323 injuries on Wednesday, Day 3 of the “Seven Deadly Days” of the Songkran holiday. The main causes of road accidents yesterday were the same as the previous two days, namely speeding and drink driving, according to data provided by the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department. Since the start of Songkran, there have been a total of 869 accidents, resulting in 113 deaths and 835 injuries, according to the Ministry of Transportation. From Monday to Wednesday, Samut Sakhon had the most deaths with 6. The southern province of Nakon Si […]

The story 40 dead, 323 injured on Day 3 of Songkran’s ‘7 Deadly Days’ as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

When reading this kind of stats, it would be interesting to know the base line, i.e. the average numbers of accidents and deaths per day. Otherwise, I cannot make much of it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kriegaex said:

When reading this kind of stats, it would be interesting to know the base line, i.e. the average numbers of accidents and deaths per day. Otherwise, I cannot make much of it.

Why do you want to?

It’s looking like some of the safest days of the year. With around 20,000 fatalities a year (55 deaths a day on average). These figures are an improvement on other days. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like Songkran needs to be cancelled.  After all, if it only saves one life its totally worth it.  Isnt that what we have been told for the last 2 years? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand saw 331 road accidents, resulting in 40 deaths and 323 injuries on Wednesday, Day 3 of the “Seven Deadly Days” of the Songkran holiday. The main causes of road accidents yesterday were the same as the previous two days, namely speeding and drink driving, according to data provided by the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department. Since the start of Songkran, there have been a total of 869 accidents, resulting in 113 deaths and 835 injuries, according to the Ministry of Transportation. From Monday to Wednesday, Samut Sakhon had the most deaths with 6. The southern province of Nakon Si […]

The story 40 dead, 323 injured on Day 3 of Songkran’s ‘7 Deadly Days’ as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Glass half full....40 fewer people that will test positive.

10 hours ago, Poolie said:

Why do you want to?

Not up to you to ask... if he wants relative info to make sense out of this drivel being passed off as news.

traffic accidents on secondary roads, 

Of course they go the back streets to avoid the police road blocks which are stationary and are in the exact same location year after year. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skip said:

Not up to you to ask... if he wants relative info to make sense out of this drivel being passed off as news.

Be better coming from him, if you'll excuse me. After all, I asked him the question not you.

21 hours ago, kriegaex said:

Great question! I wish everyone realized how important questions of this kind are (and how hard it is to find the answer based on open raw data).

Some pointers:

6 hours ago, palooka said:

traffic accidents on secondary roads, 

Of course they go the back streets to avoid the police road blocks which are stationary and are in the exact same location year after year. 

Most people are signed up to the local Line chat groups where people post the locations of Police check points. Not only do the Thais not discourage drink driving, they use technology to help you do it and remain out of the reach of the law. 

• Like 1