News Forum - Thailand deploys troops to Khao San Road to combat water splashing tourists

Thaiger

On 4/14/2022 at 5:46 PM, Guest1 said:

Of course, it soreads on "social" medias. Thais stay, by order, mostly away from there tradition, and foreigners still spash around? Of course, that creates tension.

Spellchecker please

44 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Fair enough. There is a lot there I could disagree and comment on. However, just a few  points that I struggle hard to agree with, and that’s the suggestion that Civilian politicians are a bunch of crooks while this Thai government aren’t. I find that too much to swallow. Corrupt to the core the lot of them is my view. They have had 8 years to sort out the police and done nothing as far as I can see. They’ve had 8 years to drive the economy forward and even before Covid they failed. They’ve had 8 years to improve road safety and done nothing. In fact I’m struggling to think of anything they’ve done apart from make it harder for people to protest about things they don’t like and silence anyone who disagrees with them, including strengthening computer crimes and internet crimes and toughening the section 112.  In addition they have structured the way politicians are elected to favour them and made the upper house essentially a puppet of the military government. 

I guess that perceptions are just very personal.  While living in the UK, I was emotionally invested in the political dynamics of my home country.  It made me miserable to watch the muppets screw up everything there, as they still do.  One of the benefits of temporarily living here in LOS is that I do not have that emotional attachment to the country, or its politics, so if it doesn't bother me, that's good, if it doesn't impinge negatively on the way I live my life, that's good too. The future of Thailand is of no interest to me, so that is not an issue and I fail to see why expats and farangs in general seem to get bent out of shape by things that should really not concern them.  My day to day life is my main priority and the ruling people do not make that harder, far from it, so I'm okay with this government. 

7 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Fair enough, so you just need to prepare wide in advance before it comes and hole up at your place until when later in the nightime when you won't be bothered and can go out. This year I had covid, been in quarantine for last 9 days and just yesterday and today tested negative so missed it. But as of today I am free.

Last year and the year before was Covid shut down, so for me and the family was sad. We all hope next year we can really be normal and have fun for Sorngkran. I also normally have friends visit from the USA and this makes it all the more fun in CM.

To me Covid impinges on our lives too much, and for me testing positive and having some not really not nice effects impinged more on my life than anything could have thought of doing.

I do understand what your feelings are and where you are coming from as there seem to be many foreingers who post the same as yourself, but on this one we highly differ and there is nothing the Sorngkran festival can ever do that would make me bitter. I love it, and I actually love all the holidays except the ones that are no sell alcohol ones, but even then I prepare and drink at home..

Cheers to you, today is the last day so you can go back and do what you do.

glad that you are feeling much better.  

• Thanks 1

...load up, load up, with rubber bullets

Another nail in the coffin of Thailand's tourist industry. No worries, those high quality Chinese tourists will be back to save the day, sometime soon. Personally, Songkran is one of the times that I avoid Thailand, in the tourist areas it can get a little out of hand for my taste - but there are a lot of people that do enjoy it and time their vacations around it.

When in Rome act like Romans. Or so goes the saying from the primordial founders of the "rules-based order". 

I care little for the Thailand scare of the "covid" or some of the other voodoo.tactics (like mask everywhere), but when in Thailand, only arrogant fools ignore the laws. 

Something tells me the people playing illegally with water were not Chinese tourists, so the Thai government is not fearing too much backlash. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

glad that you are feeling much better.  

Thank you. 2kg lighter but all past just me now as of today except getting the power back for running. All good now. Be safe, that omicron is everywhere,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

The future of Thailand is of no interest to me, so that is not an issue and I fail to see why expats and farangs in general seem to get bent out of shape by things that should really not concern them

I guess many have wives and children who are Thai and who’s future they worry about. Everyone wants the best for their family. It’s hard to come from a country like the U.K. and know what a fair chance in life looks like and then see your Thai children face so many barriers to success. The alternative is to take them to the U.K. but then that’s your retirement plans put on hold or ended. If you have no such attachments, then I agree, why concern yourself. Leave em to it! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

A beautiful stunning Thai girl invites you to take a ride with her. Do you:

Check to see if its a ladyboy---and if the ride is free....

or check if its a local crazy girl stalking farang offering a 100 bt room

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

I guess many have wives and children who are Thai and who’s future they worry about. Everyone wants the best for their family. It’s hard to come from a country like the U.K. and know what a fair chance in life looks like and then see your Thai children face so many barriers to success. The alternative is to take them to the U.K. but then that’s your retirement plans put on hold or ended. If you have no such attachments, then I agree, why concern yourself. Leave em to it! 

I have a half Thai daughter, 23 years old now and living in the UK,  where she was educated. Her mother and I are both here, but she does not feel any particular allegiance to, or indeed interest in  Thailand and is very British in her ways. But I take your point entirely. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I have a half Thai daughter, 23 years old now and living in the UK,  where she was educated. Her mother and I are both here, but she does not feel any particular allegiance to, or indeed interest in  Thailand and is very British in her ways. But I take your point entirely. 

So she was born in the UK

I'm from Boston and my wife is from Thailand but we live in Canada 

Still trying to have a baby very soon 

And we are both so linked to our homes it would be surprising if they don't feel like both are part of their life 

But kids are their own people and they will feel how they feel

Funny that because when me and my partner arrived at Koh samui it wasn't Farangs doing the splashing it was Thai locals families mostly with children splashing scooters and cars they had water guns and small buckets of water.... Not White foreigners so lies once more... Covid is about control not the virus.... Ps didn't hear the Thai government warning it population about the possibility of the Zika virus only being one mutation away from becoming more infectious and more deadly or is this what they are trying to keep from the population...

https://news.sky.com/story/zika-virus-a-mutation-away-from-becoming-more-infectious-and-harmful-say-scientists-12589321

Tony the Tiger out. 🐯

23 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So she was born in the UK

I'm from Boston and my wife is from Thailand but we live in Canada 

Still trying to have a baby very soon 

And we are both so linked to our homes it would be surprising if they don't feel like both are part of their life 

But kids are their own people and they will feel how they feel

She was actually born in Udon Thani , but moved to UK when she was 2 years old. She can speak Thai, Laos (Issan) and English of course.  The lack of affinity for Thailand I think started to appear in her early teenage years.  She felt more and more ostracized from Thai culture and from  her cousins, even when we insisted that she regularly visit grandparents and extended family.  The problem then became how she felt she was being viewed and treated by Thais generally, and officialdom in particular.  She then noticeably backed off from the country and most things Thai.  I actually put it down to her UK based education, up to and including University.  That is what caused the separation.  Its a pity but there it is. 

Good luck with your baby plans.  I wish you all success.  My daughter is an absolute delight. 

12 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

image.png.5a5ded2967a86ad9bff2e55a98d4e9f5.png

used to love this as a kid......the gel better than the powder!!!     baby soapie!

12 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

used to love this as a kid......the gel better than the powder!!!     baby soapie!

I knew someone would appreciate that from a long distant memory, and for some reason I thought that person would be you! You can toss me in that group as well.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:06 PM, HolyCowCm said:

I knew someone would appreciate that from a long distant memory, and for some reason I thought that person would be you! You can toss me in that group as well.

from Mr Bubbles to Thai Soapies!!!!..fun in the tub!!!