Covid UPDATE Sunday: 3,682 new infections and 20 covid-related deaths

Thaiger

Today the public health department have announced 3,682 new infections of Covid-19 and 20 new deaths. 578 of today’s announced infections are from the Thai prison system. Today’s figures continue a slow rise in the daily case numbers over this week. Notably, the worst outbreaks are still occurring around Bangkok and its adjacent suburbs. Also, the southern provinces are also registering a high number of new cases. Pattaya and Chon Buri registered 145 new cases yesterday, and Phuket, working towards being open for tourists on July 1, registered 5 more cases. Neighbouring Phang Nga reported 30 cases yesterday. More news […]

The post Covid UPDATE Sunday: 3,682 new infections and 20 covid-related deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Nobody is asking this government why they prioritize sandboxes and so-called "opening" over saving people's lives? Maybe constitution amendment could wait a little bit too? No? Sorry...

Thailand is desperate to open (and make money) but I fear they might get this all very wrong and end up shutting things down again. I hope I am wrong - but they are very disorganised and inconsistent in all this - and it could all come very unstuck very quickly.  Everyone wants to jump on the Phuket bandwagon - but they must control it properly - I fear they are going too fast too soon (like those young Thais on their new bikes who often end up in serious trouble).  And I do not think that many real tourists will be coming soon - only those desperate to get back into Thailand - and there will be a few of those.   Many real tourists that do want to come to Thailand and especially to see Phuket and other islands as they were decades ago, are waiting and will see how it goes for 2-3 months before deciding. The majority will wait to see how the incoculations progress, and if the herd immunity succeeds, and wait for Thailand (and other countries) to stop having over 2-3000 daily new cases.  Most people know that the vaccines do not stop you getting or spreading the Covid virus - they make you less sick if you get Covid. Most people are waiting to see how things go worldwide before they make decisions. 

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more. As desperate as I might be to return to Thailand (Chiang Mai and Koh Samui) in particular, I'm not that desperate to present myself as a guinea pig.

Despite 5 cancelled/rearranged visits over the past 15 months, one booking is still 'live', namely December this year. Hopefully things will be clearer by then one way or the other.

• Like 2