News Forum - Thai MP permanently banned from politics for using forest reserve land for farm

Thaiger

A former MP of Thailand’s Palang Pracharath is now permanently banned from Thai politics for using forest reserve land in Ratchaburi province for her farm. The issues around the MP, Pareena Kraikupt, using land began to surface in 2019. The Royal Forest Department then investigated the land, and concluded that Pareena’s poultry farm encroached on it. The department asked the National Anti-Corruption Commission to take action against her. Thailand’s Supreme Court determined the ruling for the permanent ban on Thursday, although the court had already suspended the MP from all activities last year. Now, Pareena cannot run for political office […]

The story Thai MP permanently banned from politics for using forest reserve land for farm as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 minute ago, palooka said:

One down, a million or so to go.

How bloody unfair, why did they have to go after her😥.

• Haha 2

113.8 hectares are a lot of reasons. Many beach resorts are the result of "Magic Coconuts" but few were prosecuted. Lack of prosecution was presumably because of the huge backing of international partners. Palang's problem is she tried to go it alone without a "sponsor". TIT. Planning and scope of mission needs partnership. 

Note: For the readers who haven't enjoyed antics from the LOS, "Magic Coconuts" is when beach front property was filched. Buyers would claim to buy a coconut plantation that had been in a family for generations. These plantations would pop up overnight as coconut trees are easily transplanted. These plantations were usually on public or Royal property but because they had been in a family for generations they were "grandfathered" into a private Nor Sor 4. You get the idea. Day 1 beach front. Day 2 coconut plantations. Day 3 beach front again ready for development.     

• Cool 3

I can’t get too animated over a story like this. She obviously didn’t know how to play the game as well as all the others or she pis*ed off the wrong people. Just another day in the Thai political system. What a shower! 

• Like 1

this can happen in thailand only !!  " The court said she is also banned from voting in any election for 10 years"

Fundamental rights of a statesmen of the country ! 

16 minutes ago, kalyan said:

this can happen in thailand only !!  " The court said she is also banned from voting in any election for 10 years"

Fundamental rights of a statesmen of the country ! 

Tell that to the approximately 5.2 million Americans in 2020 banned from voting

https://www.sentencingproject.org/publications/locked-out-2020-estimates-of-people-denied-voting-rights-due-to-a-felony-conviction/ 

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

The 5.2 million are felons. They have committed a felony which includes the most serious of crimes such as murder, terrorism, rape and kidnapping. They have served prison time of more than two years and most likely the majority will be serving 10-20 years. I hardly think land encroachment is a felony. This woman is “potentially” facing criminal charges. Even if she does they will be misdemeanour crimes and hence not at all like the 5.2million you are attempting to use to justify this disproportionate action to silence her. 

It never ceases to amaze me how people continue to try and justify, or lend credibility to what governments like Thailand do, by attempting to compare it to the liberal western governments. Utter nonsense to even try. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The 5.2 million are felons. 

Robbery is a felony. And considering her job was as an MP the punishment seems fitting. 

38 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It never ceases to amaze me how people continue to try and justify, or lend credibility to what governments like Thailand do, by attempting to compare it to the liberal western governments. Utter nonsense to even try. 

It saddens me that you make dismissive character judgments on people that disagree with you. Attack the argument, don’t attack the person. 

Banned… hmmm. 
How about throwing her ass in jail instead of brushing it under the rug? It’s crap like this that perpetuates the corruption here 😕

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fanta said:

Robbery is a felony. And considering her job was as an MP the punishment seems fitting. 

It saddens me that you make dismissive character judgments on people that disagree with you. Attack the argument, don’t attack the person. 

The argument is so patently ridiculous that it’s hard to argue with it. My point is that too often people will decide to hold up some transparent report from a government agency in the West as evidence western countries are as bad or worse on a particular issue. It never seems to dawn on people that such reports are simply unavailable in countries like Russia and China, to name just two. 

Im more than happy to have someone put an alternative view forward, but it has to be with some level of understanding of the difference of available data. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The argument is so patently ridiculous that it’s hard to argue with it. My point is that too often people will decide to hold up some transparent report from a government agency in the West as evidence western countries are as bad or worse on a particular issue. It never seems to dawn on people that such reports are simply unavailable in countries like Russia and China, to name just two. 

Im more than happy to have someone put an alternative view forward, but it has to be with some level of understanding of the difference of available data. 

I was replying to the comment that “this can happen in thailand only !!”  

29 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I was replying to the comment that “this can happen in thailand only !!”  

Well perhaps only in Thailand was a stretch by whom ever said it. But it’s certainly something that happens regularly in Thailand. I was reacting to the comparison with the 5.2 million Felons in the US. 

I apologise if my comments came across as a personal attack. That is never my intention unless I respond to a personal attack on myself. I just get tired of reading posts which take some outlandish piece of Thai government sponsored corruption or behaviour, where no one gets prosecuted, and then someone will dig up some tenuous link to the West and imply it’s no better. The West is far from perfect and has bad people who embezzle and cheat and are corrupt. But on ANY level of decent and morale behaviour, Thailand is far far far worse. It’s just feels like people looking to inflame debate and try to defend the indefensible. 

• Cool 1

Well glad to hear the justice in this case. My family watching the news were just all smiling. Now what would be wonderful is that she just goes away and is never heard from again. Just a wretched woman.