News Forum - Tourists flood back to Thailand as travel restrictions ease before Songkran

Thaiger

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I agree Grant. I was just trying to get it in perspective. Typically, even in places with what is regarded as high levels of Covid, it’s running around 1 in 15 to 1 in 50 people having it. 1 in 15 isn’t a lot of people but 1 in 50 still seems a lot of people you would have to meet to catch it. 

I would also add, that compared to many people I do take precautions. I’m not a big fan of masks when outdoors (waste of time), but I do take precautions. Compared to many people who sit around in large groups laughing and joking, having kids who go to school mixing with hundreds and coming home, I see my risk as low. That said, I’ll probably catch it tomorrow 😂

2 years ago in Australia, many Australian’s said they don’t know of anyone who has had it and went along with the fake News idea!

Today in Australia those same people have had it or their own close relatives or friends have had it!

It is highly contagious and vaccines don’t stop you getting it !

But Vaccine’s can be 98% effective in keeping it to a flu  or cold like symptom !

And 99.5% chance of not dying.

So get a vaccine!

• Like 1

Wait for it next Month's statement from a TAT spokesman 2 Million visitors forecast and a steady improvement of Tourists as predicted the spokesman will say. 

24 minutes ago, butterfly said:

why make things harder and go through some stupid Thai pass buggy procedure when the rest of the world is normally open

Thailand feels like Burma or China to get there, unnecessary red tapes 

So go somewhere else then. Stop stressing about it. It was 'buggy' in the first few days but it appears not so now ? My approval came back in around 30 seconds.

Hundreds of thousands have skipped through the Thailand Pass without drama but for some it seems it's too much to handle. 

• Cool 1

26 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree it’s a unsubstantiated claim. However for many, it’s an extension of years of first hand knowledge of the tricks, scams, dishonesty, corruption and embezzlement that is rife in Thailand. The Temptation to use Covid as a way to make money from adversity is almost too tempting and hence likely to be happening. I personally doubt there are fake test results (simply too easy to trace) but I’m sure people are being offered treatment and drugs they don’t need and extra nights in hospital that are unnecessary ….

I've never been tricked, defrauded or embezzled in the decades I've been coming/living here. Apart from petty roadside fines (which is a far far preferred system than I faced in the UK involving courts, much bigger fines and potential license removal), I don't know anyone who's suffered to any extent either so I think 'rife' seems over egging it. Though if it's mentioned enough on forums people will start to believe it.

Everytime  someone asks for proof of these scams, it all goes quiet (or someone throws up the 20 year old picture of a sign saying foreigners have to pay extra to get into one national park 🤣)

All hospitals all over the world will offer/advise you to have treatment you don't need. UK surgeons I know will operate on you all day long when you only went in with a toothache and if insurance companies are involved absolutely they'll keep you in 'for observation' - I imagine the US would be even worse! So whilst I'm sure Thailand has it's wrong uns and fair share of dubious practices, it certainly isn't standing alone.

35 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

He claims to have gone through Vietnam war and yet a night in a 5 star hotel seem so much torture 🤭

Perhaps the min bars in the Vietnamese jungles were colder than the 5* efforts ?

47 minutes ago, Benroon said:

jesus there it is again 'fake test' - and despite being mentioned about every 5th post absolutely no-one has yet produced a scrap of evidence it's even a real thing ! What is it with expats and hysteria ?

If staying in a 5* hotel is being 'locked up in prison' then paranoia has really got the better of you. Fighting against it is just stressing you out, embrace it, have a really nice meal, get a massage, sleep in the luxury bed and refreshed for when you get up the next day and go home - chill !!!!!!!!!

Hysteria? Hhhm

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210622103154696

This warning went out by the Thai authorities!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Hysteria? Hhhm

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210622103154696

This warning went out by the Thai authorities!!!

What has this got to do with anything ? This is a warning about companies trying to get their staff tested on the cheap.

Where's the connection ? (Unless you're about to apply for a job in a thai factory?)

1 hour ago, Grant said:

A Flood of Tourists?

from where?

Saudi Arabia?

I doubt it?

And how would Saudi’s help the nightlife and fun in Thailand?

Immoral for them to drink?

Not allowed to look at women in sexy clothes?

They might come to 5 star hotels in small numbers and would never eat outside to help the economic strain on the poor street vendors?

who is spreading this doo doo?

And who is running the tourism department?

Smoke and Mirror magicians?

Plenty of Saudis like the boozing and whoring! 😆😆😆

They just can't do it at home .

But it's Ramadan right now, so yes, they won't be traveling in any great numbers. 

Just now, Benroon said:

What has this got to do with anything ? This is a warning about companies trying to get their staff tested on the cheap.

Where's the connection ? (Unless you're about to apply for a job in a thai factory?)

I guess you never watch thai tv/ news and I guess because because you not understand thai, because they talked often there about. So I just wondering because you claimed it was by expats because this claims were by Thais/Thai doctors.

38 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

He claims to have gone through Vietnam war and yet a night in a 5 star hotel seem so much torture 🤭

You pick your Hotel on the price tag you can afford Mr Noble House!

we are not all rich Russians like you?

But jokes aside!

It does seem like a scam , as wouldn’t you prefer people had tests in their own country before entering only to have to spend extra money and insurance in a Hotel if they have COVID?

I watched a You tube couple in Indonesia or Malaysia cannot remember but they ended up in Bali!

They say she and him tested twice negative but The Government said their test said positive to one of them?

They asked for another PCR test and for the previous results but we’re denied!

They had to fork out for quarantine accommodations and food?

While 1000s of Indonesians not sure could have been walking around with it .

But of course only the travellers were tested?

This Girl also did an Antogen test on her boyfriend and still said negative?

scam?

Why not let them see the results?

why not let her and boyfriend have another PCR test?

very suspicious?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree. I normally travel with EVA air and  ticket prices from London are at least 25% higher economy. For Premium and Business class they are at least 50% more than 2019. Unless you really need to fly long haul to Thailand, you would be far better staying closer to home for another 12 months. Let the pandemic, war in Ukraine and oil prices settle down first. 

Flying from KSA to THA via Bahrain with Gulf, and tickets were below average price when I bought one. Average would be about £500 return, I paid just over £400. 

I guess it all depends on routes and demand. 

48 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Plenty of Saudis like the boozing and whoring! 😆😆😆

They just can't do it at home .

But it's Ramadan right now, so yes, they won't be traveling in any great numbers. 

Since it is Ramadan maybe they would take the opportunity to travel since being a traveler aka musafir are not obligated to observe the requirements. 🤭

44 minutes ago, Grant said:

You pick your Hotel on the price tag you can afford Mr Noble House!

we are not all rich Russians like you?

But jokes aside!

It does seem like a scam , as wouldn’t you prefer people had tests in their own country before entering only to have to spend extra money and insurance in a Hotel if they have COVID?

I watched a You tube couple in Indonesia or Malaysia cannot remember but they ended up in Bali!

They say she and him tested twice negative but The Government said their test said positive to one of them?

They asked for another PCR test and for the previous results but we’re denied!

They had to fork out for quarantine accommodations and food?

While 1000s of Indonesians not sure could have been walking around with it .

But of course only the travellers were tested?

This Girl also did an Antogen test on her boyfriend and still said negative?

scam?

Why not let them see the results?

why not let her and boyfriend have another PCR test?

very suspicious?

Edited by Faz
frivolous meme removed.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:08 AM, JJJ said:

This story has so many holes in it. Prepandemic levels? AOT reported 53,000,000 arrivals to BKK in 2019. 12,000 a day on an annualized basis would be about 4million. 

Also 1-5 of April will also have a bump in traffic as people likely moved any end of March trips to April. Mid-April will probably see a return to the same trend  

It will be interesting to see come June when international arrivals may actually be down year over year.

Thailand did a lot of damage to itself with the utterly pointless Test & Go “pause” in December and it’s snails pace in lifting pointless mandates like outdoor masks.

Especially for westerners, Thailand trips require a lot of preplaning—people are arranging winter holiday trips now! Why plan a trip to Thailand where the slightest change is met with a major over reaction.  

At this point, arrival tests are not the only thing holding down Thailand’s tourist economy. It’s just so sad for all those whose lives depend on it. 

Believe me, their policies have not been useless but much needed. 

5 hours ago, Stardust said:

I guess you never watch thai tv/ news and I guess because because you not understand thai, because they talked often there about. So I just wondering because you claimed it was by expats because this claims were by Thais/Thai doctors.

As always not a clue what you're talking about - I was referencing the article which you posted which you've now realised didn't help your case I guess ?

It also went on too say how to avoid any possibility of a 'fake test result' - something we're still waiting for any evidence of. But if you had read your own article you would know that.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Benroon said:

As always not a clue what you're talking about - I was referencing the article which you posted which you've now realised didn't help your case I guess ?

It also went on too say how to avoid any possibility of a 'fake test result' - something we're still waiting for any evidence of. But if you had read your own article you would know that.

??? I guess you have no clue what you are talking and I am sure now you not understand any Thai or watched Thai news. This testings mostly over private laboratories and you not understand the problem what was behind it. Watch first before talking and that many hotels, companies, universities, clinics etc etc were contractors, customer etc of these labarotories. You just showed me you never watched it, thats it! You are the one who has no clue!

So mostly they didn't know which system they use!

As I said first watch or read the Thai news, the anouncement of the health authorities and then talk about any clue! 

20 minutes ago, Stardust said:

??? I guess you have no clue what you are talking and I am sure now you not understand any Thai or watched Thai news. This testings mostly over private laboratories and you not understand the problem what was behind it. Watch first before talking and that many hotels, companies, universities, clinics etc etc were contractors, customer etc of these labarotories. You just showed me you never watched it, thats it! You are the one who has no clue!

So mostly they didn't know which system they use!

As I said first watch or read the Thai news, the anouncement if the health authorities and talk about any clue! 

In the link that YOU sent - it mentioned to be aware of fake test results (yet again still waiting for evidence, do you have any?) - but also it tells you how to remove that possibility. I must have missed the bit where they PROVED it's happening.

If you're really that paranoid, ask the hotel which laboratory they are using and check them out yourself ie take control.

So, still waiting for evidence that someone, just one out of the thousands that have done it, has received a 'fake' result. Until you do come up with one, you're simply scaremongering

• Cool 1

Just now, Benroon said:

In the link that YOU sent - it mentioned to be aware of fake test results (yet again still waiting for evidence, do you have any?) - but also it tells you how to remove that possibility. I must have missed the bit where they PROVED it's happening.

If you're really that paranoid, ask the hotel which laboratory they are using and check them out yourself ie take control.

So, still waiting for evidence that someone, just one out of the thousands that have done it, has received a 'fake' result. Until you do come up with one, you're simply scaremongering

Watch it first then talk and they not talk about one, just another wrong info from you. I gave this link because the rest and other is only in Thai! 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I agree with both you and Soidog

There are more petty scams in Thailand but nothing you face daily and are relatively avoidable if you have your wits about you

But I do think there is higher level corruption in our countries that does effect our lives 

The problem in this discussion it is viewed from his view as aretiree or holidaymaker nit onece from the Thaiside. The Thais are tired of that corruptions and scams and want have things developped. He claimed this complains (false positive tests) was by expats when he attacked this user, but it was from Thai doctors and Thais. He not understand Thai or watch Thai tv but came up with others have no clue but didn't even read it or cannot read it and how many cases happened. He also not understand that who made this tests cannot choose by themself the labarorory who makes the test. He didnt watch the thai news but tell others they have no clue. He is not interested about what Thais are concerned . He is talking from a viewpoint of a minority like retirees, holidaymakers and think this a majority here. Choose to live in Thailand but doesn't think what is going on in the Thai society, Thai news and thinks is the centerpoint for Thailand and should follow it by his perspective which has nothing to do from people who live here, born here or are here because their families are here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

Sorry to question this statement, but is this actually true, and if so which international airlines? My understanding was that airlines follow the requirements of the departure, arrival or transiting country. So a direct flight for example from the UK to Bangkok should not require any preflight PCR test. In my opinion a wrong move at this current time. I would still hope that every passenger takes an ATK test prior to departure. 

Swiss air & PAL require a Pre-departure negative PCR test before going to Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Reading through this, I had to remind myself of the thread topic as it's gone way off.

I have, therefore locked this, until the thread can be cleaned up .