News Forum - Tourists flood back to Thailand as travel restrictions ease before Songkran

Thaiger

20 hours ago, Samtrio said:

They dropped the most important requirment for safety,i-e pre-travel check, in order to scam tourists into expensive unnecessary hospital quarantine. This claim of pre covid no.of tourists is just to lure unaware tourists to fall for this trap.... whoever lived in thailand knows very well about scams in there... i mean they should reward whoever risk his life to travel to a covid hot-spot...not scam them outta their money by imposing irrelavent rules....quarantine the healthy , and free the sick...

Do you know anyone this has happened too ? Or have you just read about this invisible phenomenon on expat forums ?

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I could never imagine being that worked up over an article like this............

Don't mention the falang price to get into national parks .....they go mental !!!

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:08 AM, JJJ said:

This story has so many holes in it. Prepandemic levels? AOT reported 53,000,000 arrivals to BKK in 2019. 12,000 a day on an annualized basis would be about 4million. 

Also 1-5 of April will also have a bump in traffic as people likely moved any end of March trips to April. Mid-April will probably see a return to the same trend  

It will be interesting to see come June when international arrivals may actually be down year over year.

Thailand did a lot of damage to itself with the utterly pointless Test & Go “pause” in December and it’s snails pace in lifting pointless mandates like outdoor masks.

Especially for westerners, Thailand trips require a lot of preplaning—people are arranging winter holiday trips now! Why plan a trip to Thailand where the slightest change is met with a major over reaction.  

At this point, arrival tests are not the only thing holding down Thailand’s tourist economy. It’s just so sad for all those whose lives depend on it. 

Yes !

I think this story seems a bit false!

where are the tourists coming from?

No mention!

Is the Thai government making false statements now to get confidence up before an election?

I was just in Phuket and it seems like a ghost town again as the Russians have mainly left and not to many people at the beach!

Source and official totals might be warranted!

12 hours ago, butterfly said:

I am planning to return to Thailand soon but their flip flop policies is stopping me from booking a flight to Bangkok

when will they learn ?

Why ? It's really straightforward (and just made easier) for anyone with half the cognitive abilities of your average human. Maybe get someone to help you ?

2 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

It doesn't matter if you get the test back in 4 hours. You still have to pay for the hotel.

But you can then go out - few beers, bag a local hostess, and wake up happy in a luxury hotel bed! 

Where's the downside ?

"....reaching near pre-pandemic levels." Who writes this stuff? According to the Tourism Council of Thailand, their target for 2022 international arrivals is for one-fourth to one-fifth of the 2019 level.

And as long as Chinese, and now Russian, travelers are not coming, it will stay that way.

Question:

Thaiger must do more research on stories!

I think this is fake news!

And I never usually say this?

But too many glitches in this story?

please give us flights into Thailand!

where from and numbers like during Pandemic 6 months ago?

The streets are starting to look deserted of Tourists again in Phuket?

so where are these tourists?

23 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yes it hit our Thai family over the last 2 weeks

My stepson had a dangerously high fever, 42 C, for a night

Which I found out the next day after it went down or would have insisted he go to the hospital 

Wow, 42 is very high. I suffer as all men do, when we catch Man Flu. I’ve never had that high a temperature mind you😱 Hope he’s all fully recovered and no lasting symptoms. 

The main tourists were from Russia?

now 0 zero

Before that China ?

now 0 zero

where are they coming from?

India has no flights yet?

Americans warned not to come?

Is Thailand starting propaganda for its tourism Industry?

Going into election mode?

A Flood of Tourists?

from where?

Saudi Arabia?

I doubt it?

And how would Saudi’s help the nightlife and fun in Thailand?

Immoral for them to drink?

Not allowed to look at women in sexy clothes?

They might come to 5 star hotels in small numbers and would never eat outside to help the economic strain on the poor street vendors?

who is spreading this doo doo?

And who is running the tourism department?

Smoke and Mirror magicians?

51 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Wow, 42 is very high. I suffer as all men do, when we catch Man Flu. I’ve never had that high a temperature mind you😱 Hope he’s all fully recovered and no lasting symptoms. 

Yes all recovered in about 5 days

But he's a 21yr old kid and was still knocked on his ass from Covid

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Grant said:

The main tourists were from Russia?

now 0 zero

Before that China ?

now 0 zero

where are they coming from?

India has no flights yet?

Americans warned not to come?

Is Thailand starting propaganda for its tourism Industry?

Going into election mode?

I just did a search of flight options from the US to BKK from various cities. There were not many options and ticket prices were a few hundred dollars higher than what I normally paid prior to 2020. All things considered, no reason to rush into a trip right now. Low value, high cost. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grant said:

Question:

Thaiger must do more research on stories!

I think this is fake news!

And I never usually say this?

But too many glitches in this story?

please give us flights into Thailand!

where from and numbers like during Pandemic 6 months ago?

The streets are starting to look deserted of Tourists again in Phuket?

so where are these tourists?

Thaiger doesn't write the stories. You have to ask somewhere that will give you an answer. Try the toilet attendant. You speak Thai I assume?😀

I seriously doubt the truth of the article. I have been in touch with many that don't trust the that test when getting off the airplane and many just wish to go home. I had an email from an old friend in England the other night and he says while he wants to return he won't until they stop the test and forced overnight in hotel. I'm going to Lao in May, have family I haven't seen for 2 years there and while I'm willing to pay for help jumping through all the idiotic hoops to get into Lao it hasn't been my home for 14 years as Thailand has and yes I would be considered a tourist there. I have been in and out of Thailand since 2002, bought house (for wife) in 2008. I am not a tourist here and neither are many of the people that have been arriving. Coming back I've got to jump through hoops again and take a chance on a fake test when I come back although the odds are in my favor in Nong Khai, yes the bridge is open and has been if you have the correct papers. 

No, I do not like being locked up anywhere against my will, I've had the experience at the hands of the nixon cabal for being a USMC Vet that returned from that sunny paid vacation in SE Asia and spoke out against that damned war. Released by a then Supreme Court. I didn't like it then and don't want it whether a hotel or not now. 

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But he's a 21yr old kid and was still knocked on his ass from Covid

Yes I think people are starting to forget this fact. Because the media and official keep referring to milder symptoms and less hospitalisations, people are assuming it’s a sniffle. I know lots of people who have had Covid, both family and friends. I’ve yet to meet one who dismissed it as nothing serious and none would wish to have it again. 

The other thing I take comfort from is that I only ever recall having proper Flu once in my life. I’ve had plenty of colds but never anything I would regard as Flu. I’ve never been vaccinated against seasonal Flu and never taken any precautions. If I’ve only ever caught it once and lived normally, what chance of catching Covid when all these precautions are in place? 

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I think people are starting to forget this fact. Because the media and official keep referring to milder symptoms and less hospitalisations, people are assuming it’s a sniffle. I know lots of people who have had Covid, both family and friends. I’ve yet to meet one who dismissed it as nothing serious and none would wish to have it again. 

The other thing I take comfort from is that I only ever recall having proper Flu once in my life. I’ve had plenty of colds but never anything I would regard as Flu. I’ve never been vaccinated against seasonal Flu and never taken any precautions. If I’ve only ever caught it once and lived normally, what chance of catching Covid when all these precautions are in place? 

This is a highly contagious variant and chances of getting COVID compared to the flu 😷 is around 20% higher or more !

And when many people have it already the chances of getting it  quickly multiply’s !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sgtsabai said:

I seriously doubt the truth of the article. I have been in touch with many that don't trust the that test when getting off the airplane and many just wish to go home. I had an email from an old friend in England the other night and he says while he wants to return he won't until they stop the test and forced overnight in hotel. I'm going to Lao in May, have family I haven't seen for 2 years there and while I'm willing to pay for help jumping through all the idiotic hoops to get into Lao it hasn't been my home for 14 years as Thailand has and yes I would be considered a tourist there. I have been in and out of Thailand since 2002, bought house (for wife) in 2008. I am not a tourist here and neither are many of the people that have been arriving. Coming back I've got to jump through hoops again and take a chance on a fake test when I come back although the odds are in my favor in Nong Khai, yes the bridge is open and has been if you have the correct papers. 

No, I do not like being locked up anywhere against my will, I've had the experience at the hands of the nixon cabal for being a USMC Vet that returned from that sunny paid vacation in SE Asia and spoke out against that damned war. Released by a then Supreme Court. I didn't like it then and don't want it whether a hotel or not now. 

jesus there it is again 'fake test' - and despite being mentioned about every 5th post absolutely no-one has yet produced a scrap of evidence it's even a real thing ! What is it with expats and hysteria ?

If staying in a 5* hotel is being 'locked up in prison' then paranoia has really got the better of you. Fighting against it is just stressing you out, embrace it, have a really nice meal, get a massage, sleep in the luxury bed and refreshed for when you get up the next day and go home - chill !!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I just did a search of flight options from the US to BKK from various cities. There were not many options and ticket prices were a few hundred dollars higher than what I normally paid prior to 2020. All things considered, no reason to rush into a trip right now. Low value, high cost. 

I agree. I normally travel with EVA air and  ticket prices from London are at least 25% higher economy. For Premium and Business class they are at least 50% more than 2019. Unless you really need to fly long haul to Thailand, you would be far better staying closer to home for another 12 months. Let the pandemic, war in Ukraine and oil prices settle down first. 

11 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Thaiger doesn't write the stories. You have to ask somewhere that will give you an answer. Try the toilet attendant. You speak Thai I assume?😀

Yes , but as respected journalism is all about getting the story and then corroborating it before showing  it to your viewers!

otherwise you lose credibility in the news world!

Just now, Grant said:

This is a highly contagious variant and chances of getting COVID compared to the flu 😷 is around 20% higher or more !

And when many people have it already the chances of getting it  quickly multiply’s !

Yes I agree Grant. I was just trying to get it in perspective. Typically, even in places with what is regarded as high levels of Covid, it’s running around 1 in 15 to 1 in 50 people having it. 1 in 15 isn’t a lot of people but 1 in 50 still seems a lot of people you would have to meet to catch it. 

I would also add, that compared to many people I do take precautions. I’m not a big fan of masks when outdoors (waste of time), but I do take precautions. Compared to many people who sit around in large groups laughing and joking, having kids who go to school mixing with hundreds and coming home, I see my risk as low. That said, I’ll probably catch it tomorrow 😂

6 minutes ago, Grant said:

Yes , but as respected journalism is all about getting the story and then corroborating it before showing  it to your viewers!

otherwise you lose credibility in the news world!

There is no credibility/respect in the news/journalism world. I thought that was common knowledge and if it isn't, it should be. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Why ? It's really straightforward (and just made easier) for anyone with half the cognitive abilities of your average human. Maybe get someone to help you ?

why make things harder and go through some stupid Thai pass buggy procedure when the rest of the world is normally open

Thailand feels like Burma or China to get there, unnecessary red tapes 

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

What is it with expats and hysteria ?

I agree it’s a unsubstantiated claim. However for many, it’s an extension of years of first hand knowledge of the tricks, scams, dishonesty, corruption and embezzlement that is rife in Thailand. The Temptation to use Covid as a way to make money from adversity is almost too tempting and hence likely to be happening. I personally doubt there are fake test results (simply too easy to trace) but I’m sure people are being offered treatment and drugs they don’t need and extra nights in hospital that are unnecessary ….

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

jesus there it is again 'fake test' - and despite being mentioned about every 5th post absolutely no-one has yet produced a scrap of evidence it's even a real thing ! What is it with expats and hysteria ?

If staying in a 5* hotel is being 'locked up in prison' then paranoia has really got the better of you. Fighting against it is just stressing you out, embrace it, have a really nice meal, get a massage, sleep in the luxury bed and refreshed for when you get up the next day and go home - chill !!!!!!!!!

He claims to have gone through Vietnam war and yet a night in a 5 star hotel seem so much torture 🤭

• Haha 1

Just now, butterfly said:

why make things harder and go through some stupid Thai pass buggy procedure when the rest of the world is normally open

Thailand feels like Burma or China to get there, unnecessary red tapes 

It's easy enough to get to China. It's what happens after getting there that's a bit of a bind. 

• Cool 1