Great Covers

Thaidup

A random stranger sings with a panhandler, No need to show the original, A pretty good rendition worth a shout out.

I would never have known about this cover by Kings of Leon if I did not click on that last video and play it through.

Probably more in the "Memorable Covers" as opposed to "Great Covers" section. From Oct 1976, the first Punk single by a British band (they were also the first to release an album), New Rose by The Damned , this was the B side.  

First off, how did they get away a sexy video like this back then? Is she hot or what?

But Bruce Springsteen brings the house down👍

What cover do you think is the best? Original first....

Got to be Kiss.

Talking of Kiss covers, the Silverback himself:-

• Like 1

This Thread makes me go digging,and bringing up some great old songs/memories, eg, Fine Young Cannibals.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 9:25 AM, BigHewer said:

Bruce does a pretty good rendition, but I think I still prefer the Aussie band singing the original.

Just by reading back over the comments, This one took me back to the mid 1980's and the "Grand Prix Room" at Penrith Leagues Club, (And rolling up at work on friday morning)😇

• Like 1

The one I remember the the most is not even here, That's how many great covers there are, From newest to oldest.

Johnny's version is f'ing good.👍

1 hour ago, Thaidup said:

The one I remember the the most is not even here, That's how many great covers there are, From newest to oldest.

This is one song where the original is head and shoulders above any cover that has ever come out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

This is one song where the original is head and shoulders above any cover that has ever come out.

Thankyou!!!, I just stopped my music to hear this clip.👍👍

• Thanks 1

Originally written by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricus for the musical The Roar of the Greasepaint in 1964, and famously covered by Nina Simone in 65. 

More recently covered by Teignmouth's Art/Prog Rock trio.

• Like 1

The last 3 tracks off Abbey Road are frequently run together.

A Lennon & McCartney composition looking at the yearning to get back home. They broke up the next year.

Covered extensively,  and even used in part as a John Lewis advert with Elbow.

My favorite, is the Phil Collins / George Martin version from 98, off the In My Life album by George Martin.

• Like 1

Live version of Supertramp's Logical Song by Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band from 2001. Roger Hodgson on piano, Greg Lake on Bass, Mark Rivera (Billy Joel) on sax, Sheila E on drums, Ian Hunter on guitar, Howard Jones on Keyboards, oh and Ringo as well.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 8:54 AM, WrightT said:

Originally written by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricus for the musical The Roar of the Greasepaint in 1964, and famously covered by Nina Simone in 65. 

More recently covered by Teignmouth's Art/Prog Rock trio.

OOH YAEHHH, The one I feel best is Nina Simone.

On 6/2/2022 at 11:39 AM, WrightT said:

What cover do you think is the best?

Cheers to you WrightT,🍻 Thanks for the posts so far👍 please keep them coming, We have heard a few new songs to add to the playlist.💿

On 6/6/2022 at 10:25 AM, Saltire said:

Here's a few more 😀

William has already posted that, so maybe you might gain some knowledge by reading through the posts before re-posting someone elses post, just saying🙂. would like to know what your fav was out of the video though,👍

6 hours ago, Thaidup said:

William has already posted that, so maybe you might gain some knowledge by reading through the posts before re-posting someone elses post, just saying🙂. would like to know what your fav was out of the video though,👍

Not a deliberate re-posting. Please don't call the accidental duplicate-post police 😀.

I fought the law - Clash/Buddy Holly and several others.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I fought the law - Clash/Buddy Holly and several others.

You nailed it Salty👍

Was there a Johnny Cash or Charlie Pride or similar version?Glen Campbell maybe?

As Ben Elton would say "Little bit of politics"..

The Richard Clapton version off his The Great Escape album, is worth a listen. However no longer available.

Who was first? I am leaning towards The Doors, because I am biased.🙂 Would like to have a clear factual rebuttal.

4 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Who was first? I am leaning towards The Doors, because I am biased.🙂 Would like to have a clear factual rebuttal.

The dumby Thaidup, found it himself. LOL. was neither, was a band called Them in 1964.